Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fitness Goals

Been a bit for update. I am a month or so into law school now and have kept up pretty well with diet and lifting. I have been lax on fighting movement, esp pistol kata work--I can't really go out in the yard space at my apartment complex and do movement with a pistol, nor can I do that on my balcony, nor is it a great idea in a second-floor apartment (though I think the unit below me is vacant--time for pistol katas in my living room). But, I got out and did some TKD forms on the balcony the other night and realized how rusty I am. I did work in some more Okinawan elements from the version of the Pinans I learned originally, although I need to brush up on those. I focused that work on Bassai, Koryo, and the first two Pinans.

Lifting has been some fairly heavy stuff lately. I've been working up my deadlift workset weight to push the gains higher. I plan to do the same with squats today.

I've been focusing on my upper body work more, especially in the chest. I can see/feel a little gain, but I need to push (ha) that higher. I have emphasized push-ups and dumbell bench press, but I think soon I will shift that to push-ups and dips, partly because those are easier on my loosely-jointed shoulders. Plus, dips are just freaking hard for me to do, with my orangutan arms.

So im a new member but a long time lurker. Figured id make my first post in here and lay out my fitness goals for the next year.

Im 27 and 6 years into my law enforcement career. Im already feeling some of the strain on my body but overall thats due to lifestyle choices like my diet, or lack thereof. Ive physically never been stronger in my life numbers wise but I feel so much more un-athletic than I did a few years ago. Currently im floating around 240lbs at 6'2" and I want to clean my diet up and start focusing on doing more conditioning with my lifting. Ive read a bunch from Gabe and the rest of his crew with what they do and im excited to try it out in my own programming.

To put some metrics to my goals they are as follows;

-315 front squat for reps (fairly close to this as a 1RM)
    -405 deadlift for reps (this is my current 1RM)
    -10+ pullups (currently can only get about 1ish with OK form)

Quote Originally Posted by McCheezy View Post
    So im a new member but a long time lurker. Figured id make my first post in here and lay out my fitness goals for the next year.
    Welcome, and glad to see you're looking to take your fitness more seriously, esp as LEO, if your particular job puts you out for potential contact with those who need smacking.

Might I suggest a thread of your own that you update periodically with your goals, progress, and new goals as you achieve your first ones. Not intended as a subtle "Get off my thread," as I don't mind you sharing your goals here at all; but, having a dedicated thread you return to that is, in a sense, "yours" a) Gives you a central spot in which to track and update your progress, and b) Gives a place where others can post suggestions, encouragement, etc., for you specifically.

In any event, keep it up, and stay strong.

To the end of providing an update to my own thread...

Still working toward my numbers I posted a while back. I haven't maxed out on anything in quite a while, so in a few weeks, it will be time for a new attempted max. Today was a squat day; 1x10 @ 155 for warmup, 3x5 @ 205 for first workset, 5x5 @ 225 for next workset. That felt pretty good, and my performance was actually good, unlike last week, when I attempted a 5x5 @ 245, modified it to 5x3 because 5 reps wasn't happening, and had to go down to 3x3 because I was going to injure myself otherwise. Lesson learned: Increase workset weight incrementally.

Deadlift workset weight I have increased to 5x5 @ 250, up from doing worksets @ 225-235 or so. Pleased to see my recovery is reasonably good at 250, so I will continue to up that slowly over the next couple weeks, with the goal of 1RM @ 300 even within 3 weeks. That'll get me much closer to my goal of 340 by next March-ish.

Focusing upper body on high-rep bodyweight exercises, of multiple sets, to get some hypertrophy going, with some dumbell work mixed in as well. My upper body just sucks, but that's strengthening as well.

Had a few bad days of poor sleep and a good bit of school stress last week, plus a lot to do, so I skipped my Wednesday workout last week and just did Monday and Friday. My numbers weren't too pretty (in my estimation), and I realized I was going to overdo it so had to drop back. Price of poor sleep and extra stress, I suppose.

This week was a bit better. Main power movement was on Wednesday, doing squats in mostly worksets of 3x5 at varying weights, up to 235. The increments of weight I worked up throughout the workout were better than the previous week, so I was right that I needed to be a little less aggressive in each session. Monday I will be back to deads.

I've been working a lot of upper body lately, trying to do lower weight, high rep to build some muscle. It's slow going (it feels), but I think I'm making some improvement. Focusing on dumbbell bench, pushups, dumbbell rowing, and pull-ups. Also some OHP every 4th or so workout. I'm getting there, so can't complain too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Faramir2 View Post
    Had a few bad days of poor sleep and a good bit of school stress last week, plus a lot to do, so I skipped my Wednesday workout last week and just did Monday and Friday. My numbers weren't too pretty (in my estimation), and I realized I was going to overdo it so had to drop back. Price of poor sleep and extra stress, I suppose.

This week was a bit better. Main power movement was on Wednesday, doing squats in mostly worksets of 3x5 at varying weights, up to 235. The increments of weight I worked up throughout the workout were better than the previous week, so I was right that I needed to be a little less aggressive in each session. Monday I will be back to deads.

I've been working a lot of upper body lately, trying to do lower weight, high rep to build some muscle. It's slow going (it feels), but I think I'm making some improvement. Focusing on dumbbell bench, pushups, dumbbell rowing, and pull-ups. Also some OHP every 4th or so workout. I'm getting there, so can't complain too much.
    Good job keeping fitness a priority while in Law School. It would be easy just to blow it off and stress eat for your entire three years.
    “Every day the same thing...variety”

Quote Originally Posted by AFSOCCRNA View Post
    Good job keeping fitness a priority while in Law School. It would be easy just to blow it off and stress eat for your entire three years.
    Thanks for the encouragement. Yeah, it's way too easy to let it all go, but I'll be darned if I let myself go here like I did during undergrad. It's easier to study, I've noticed, if I've gotten an exercise break to clear my head. Good for the body, good for the mind; I'm a better law student for it.

Been a couple weeks, so little update. I'm a bit behind on the goals I wrote out back in March, as I haven't been diligent to bring my numbers up; I've also felt some extra strain and recovery time needed after some over-aggressive increases a few weeks back, so I backed off a little; I figured out the other day that I was okay to go to heavier numbers, if only I would work my way up incrementally throughout my workout (who knew).

I wasn't able to do as much this week as I had wanted, due to extra school work and a car accident Thursday night that put me behind for Friday; so, no Friday workout, sadly, but I plan to go this evening.

On the note of the car wreck: I got rear-ended while sitting still; woman who hit me was moving probably 40+, so she hit me pretty hard. However, following some of the discussions on here, I was sitting up straight, so I only whipped back a few inches and hit the headrest, so no whiplash effects; and, the rest of my back feels fine, I think largely because I go to the gym regularly. Fitness for the win, and discipline for the win in giving the body some natural armor.

Here's to a more productive week next week and some heavier numbers to keep working my way up. Deadlift worksets are usually between 240 and 250, usually 3x5, so pushing that up slowly.

The couple of weeks since last update have been spotty on actually getting workout in. Been pretty busy and not always scheduled well, so last week I only got in one workout but made it a good squat day.

Monday and today were deadlifts and then upper body work. Lately I've not been able to do as much as I think I should be able to, but two factors have worked against me: 1) Too much sugar lately (in a terrible habit, I tend toward sweets when I'm stressed), and 2) Not enough sleep / not enough good sleep. The second one has really been killing me lately, and I won't catch up until this weekend.

I do plan to squat some heavy numbers on Friday (trying to keep my 5x5 workset number 225-230 and my 3x3 worksets 240-245).

Keep your thread up. Get after it and let people see you do it. This isnt Facebook, we dont care about the results, only the work and it lifts others up.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities