Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fitness Goals

Quote Originally Posted by jtiii View Post
    Several years ago after I retired and ammo was unabtainable/ext. expensive and I had gained 30 lbs., I resolved myself to get back to killing shape. I just hit the road and hit the gym again. I kept everyone else out of it. My wife knew what was going on. I'm almost back where I want to be. My goals are personal to me and I of course I am only accountable to my self.
    Different things work for different types of people. Some prefer to keep quiet about their goals, others like the accountability of making them public. Congrats on the improvements!
    Suarez International Staff Instructor, Iowa

"EVERY MAN IS A COUNTER TERRORIST." --Gabe Suarez
    "It's not the will to win that matters--everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." --Paul "Bear" Bryant
    "Love of theory is the root of all evil." --William M. Briggs

Quote Originally Posted by prestojo View Post
    Posting goals for accountability's sake is an excellent tool. One in which I have shied away from in the past. So, in the spirit of accountability, I'm going to try my first Murph (without the weight vest) on Monday. Not sure how it will go, since I've slacked off the running a bit over the last month after completing a couple of 5k's with the Mrs., but I'm going to give it a go, and see where the chips fall. I have no idea what my time will be, other than the benchmark to beat next year.
    After my shift, I was able to knock it out in 1:14:52. Barely beat my goal of 1:15, but I managed to do it, even with the treadmill stopping a few times. It was a little rough getting going after riding around all night on just 3 hours sleep, but I managed to catch a second wind about half way through.

Quote Originally Posted by prestojo View Post
    After my shift, I was able to knock it out in 1:14:52. Barely beat my goal of 1:15, but I managed to do it, even with the treadmill stopping a few times. It was a little rough getting going after riding around all night on just 3 hours sleep, but I managed to catch a second wind about half way through.
    Good to have goals, and that's great that you beat your goal time, especially with everything militating against you. I felt somewhat the same when I went to the gym last night, after an active weekend coaching up and coming riflemen and getting to the gym a little late last night--but, I smoked my previous deadlift PR by 30 pounds and set a new record of 265 pounds, which means I'm 30 pounds closer to my goal of 340.

Quote Originally Posted by Faramir2 View Post
    Good to have goals, and that's great that you beat your goal time, especially with everything militating against you. I felt somewhat the same when I went to the gym last night, after an active weekend coaching up and coming riflemen and getting to the gym a little late last night--but, I smoked my previous deadlift PR by 30 pounds and set a new record of 265 pounds, which means I'm 30 pounds closer to my goal of 340.

Nice! Well done, both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by jtiii View Post
    Several years ago after I retired and ammo was unabtainable/ext. expensive and I had gained 30 lbs., I resolved myself to get back to killing shape. I just hit the road and hit the gym again. I kept everyone else out of it. My wife knew what was going on. I'm almost back where I want to be. My goals are personal to me and I of course I am only accountable to my self.
    why rob yourself of the free supplement of encouragement? that makes no sense to me.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    why rob yourself of the free supplement of encouragement? that makes no sense to me.
    Depends on the person. I need basically zero outside encouragement--I just hammer away at it, year after year. I dunno why, but I seem to just be hardwired to not need anything else. But the vast, vast majority of people I know aren't like that with fitness-related endeavors.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Threads like this keep me moving despite age and injury. Don't know if I need them, but I have them. Why not?
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 1, 11. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Depends on the person. I need basically zero outside encouragement--I just hammer away at it, year after year. I dunno why, but I seem to just be hardwired to not need anything else. But the vast, vast majority of people I know aren't like that with fitness-related endeavors.
    So do I at 41, and Gabe too at nearly 60. I started to record it here with SI's highlighting of fitness in the martial man
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Faramir2 View Post
    Excellent!

To oversimplify, I need exercise more than I need sleep. Since the last birthday that means something everyday, even if it's only the "C" word.

Today it was two miles, not much, but with a kicker: the first run on a lead for the little one (a now-70 pound GSD). Eventful, and more tiring than expected, especially with high speed strafing by her two older brothers. It's gonna work out, though: she settled in, almost at heel, for the last half mile or so.

The next goal: all three on lead for a fast five miles. After that, all three in heel without lead for five.

I hate running. It's easier when you have lots of company.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 1, 11. And a wakeup.