Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default MORE FOR THE LASER JUSTIFICATION FILES

Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I fail to understand people's need to do stupid shit like this.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

This could be something terrorists that could do also. There is federal law outlawing such acts.
    (a) OFFENSE — Whoever knowingly aims the beam of a laser pointer at an aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States, or at the flight path of such an aircraft, shall be fined under this title {maximum of $250,000} or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both
    It is done because sneaky little sh@ts think they can get away with it. I would start at a minimum of 5 years and the death penalty rigorously enforced if they manage to bring down a plane.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Thus if someone lasers you, you are justified in thinking the worst.
    Gabriel Suarez

Stupid people are going to win stupid prizes. Let's crash a plane and probably kill some people for giggles. Good grief.
    Soli Deo Gloria

Another factor, as indicated in the article, is the injury or damage that such a bright light can cause to the eye, even if it is not attached to a weapon.

It may take seconds, or minutes to recover vision from a laser weapon, reducing the ability to effectively respond. Damage may be permanent.

If there is more than one attacker and only one has a laser, the other attackers will have a considerable advantage over an afterimage blinded victim.

I guess since the FAA has made the impression
    that drones are a no-go around airports, the
    basement dwellers are moving back to more
    portable annoyances.

John
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby
    "Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth"- Oscar Wilde.

So.....here is another one...sort of like it. What if someone sprays you with OC?
    Gabriel Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    So.....here is another one...sort of like it. What if someone sprays you with OC?
    Doing my best to put this one through the flowchart, and my answers below are playing out a few different analytical possibilities. My reasoning would not be this cumbersome (or conscious) in the moment, but I want to game out how this could look for my own benefit and to get critique. With that, here we go.

OC is not in itself lethal, and, taken on its own devoid of a fair amount of context, the spraying thereof does not inherently signify intent to cause significant physical injury or death. Once again devoid of context, the simple act of spraying with OC wouldn't seem to justify responding with lethal force immediately; I would think that the low roundhouse discussed in another thread would be a more appropriate response to that one action.

Now, additional points of context to the scenario may create a different fact pattern that would justify a different decision (multiple attackers, significant disparity of ability, threats against your life simultaneous to or immediately preceding/following assault w/ OC, etc.).

I cannot imagine a scenario in which the sole fact is getting sprayed with OC, so the analysis above that leads to my "no justification for lethal force" conclusion probably does not apply often, if at all. But, taking the question on its face, I think my conclusion is the right answer.

On the other hand, it is entirely reasonable to conclude either that the OC spray is in itself intended to achieve significant bodily harm or that the OC spray is a precursor to imminent bodily harm or death--in that case (and therefore in most any practical situation), responding with lethal force would be justified.

What say ye all?
    Last edited by Faramir2; 05-22-2019 at 10:59 AM.

I have a POV. My tendency, like being lasered, or being taken to the ground, is to shoot. I know why. It is a grey area, but those are where your mind needs to be the clearest. I will withhold my comments until I hear from more people...hopefully a few LE guys here.
    Gabriel Suarez