Default A short review of a church's layered security

I was asked by traffic/security to take a walk around and thru the facility during services and provide feedback. Now, this is a big ass church with parking garage, parking lots, and boat loads of people and kids.

Outside was good. Everyone had their earbuds in, were where they needed to be, and talking only when necessary. Upstairs where the kids are corralled was good also. I was consistently engaged in the hallways at no less than 10 yards by individuals with smiles and earbuds in.

It was downstairs in the main foyer where the problems popped up. Officer Friendly is, well, really friendly, chatting up parishioners and completely out of position to monitor the 4 main entrances to the building. Moreover, Officer Friendly is not plugged into the same comms everyone else is using, so the first hint it's time to earn your pay is when Beslan Boy is already in the building.

Finally, in the sanctuary there was a young (20ish) eager beaver, probably the latest addition to the team. He's wearing a body tight t-shirt with the words "Faith, Family, Firearms" emblazoned on the back and packing in an OWB on his right hip under that t-shirt. Sheesh.

As service was getting out I walked up to him with a big smile and asked "do you know what those 3 words translated mean?" On his "huh?" I told him "Faith, Family, Firearms splatted across your shirt is translated as Shoot Me First". I also suggested switching to an IWB and to lose the tight fitting clothing. My final question to him was "why did you let me come within bad breath distance of you without engaging?"

All in all, very correctable. I did recommend that eager beaver be paired and mentored for quite sometime before assigning him a zone of his own.
    anonymity is underrated

Unfair. Unbalanced. Unmedicated.

Newton's Third Law is a motherfucker.

Great observations and summary.
    Deus , et Libertas

DPS, CRG-2, CRG-3
    Dynamics of the Kalashnikov, Advanced Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting

Is this a volunteer team?

An issue I'm running into is that while I am able to recruit volunteers for a security team, most of them want to make sure that their spiritual needs are not neglected in the process. Nobody wants to miss the sermon because they're out front with an earbud in.

Curious how you handle that?

Core supervision are pro's, plus volunteers and Officer Friendly. This is a big, big church so multiple services and recorded video.

I'm an outsider with some way back history with one of the core. They wanted fresh eyes with some history looking in on 'em.
    anonymity is underrated

Do you know the extent of the security team's training? I serve on my church's, but the training was laughably minimal; granted, it's technically a "campus monitoring" team, with the primary function of being visible and engaging people, but I have wondered often how many other members know what they're looking for. We have two officers among a group that rotates, who are pretty alert, generally, but they can also tend to chat with each other whenever people are not entering or exiting the building. I'd like to get the team members some more intensive training, including fight training, but I don't know altogether where to start with suggesting that.

I know that both the outside and upper teams are pretty squared away. They know their roles and their zones and that comm's is king. When in any doubt, call it in. All I've suggested is a slight simplification in comm's traffic protocols.

Now the main floor is another matter... not so sure about that, but I know Core will get it straightened out.
    anonymity is underrated

The previous church security team I was with, the officers got one of our radios each Sunday so they would be on the same frequency channel.

I'm in the process now of joining a security team at a new church, and they do not use radios. They use a phone app which I think is too slow. They are very low key however, and do not want the ear buds. There are also officers on campus. They also hire someone to do security assessment as in the OP.