Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SAVATE

Quote Originally Posted by macho mouse View Post
    Papa

I do shoot it on rare occasions. My favorite use was as a BFPU at local IDPA/3 GUN matches. I would hide it under a towel and only let the shooters on the range as it was their turn to shoot but after they shot, they could watch everybody else try to figure what the hell they had in their hand.

If you can find one, have someone mike the chambers. Mine were about .001"-.002" undersize for .45 autorim so I had him run a reamer in and about all it did was clean up any crud in the chambers. I have used light reloads with cast bullets so as to minimize wear and tear. If you have any questions, I would be glad to try to help.
    Will do, thanks. The cartridge appears to be lightly loaded for such a robust weapon, especially compared to .45 Colt or .45 Schofield. It's good that .45 AR works, but like you I would load this one down.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 5, 14. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikRN View Post
    I have been looking for a savate salle since I took French in high school.
    As Gabe mentioned, JKD schools often have someone hanging around with Savate training, or even instructor rank. That's probably going to be the easiest way to find Savate training in the U.S.

Many years ago i read about savate IIRC in black belt magazine and it seemed as it was presented to borrow a lot from classical ballet and there was also fighting with canes. There are a vast multitude martial arts world wide, many of which are extinct. I assume the french system is a good one, but not necessarily better than what the asians have brought to the USA.
    The trouble the french had with warfare from time to time is a belief that if you were brave and pure with the Gallic sense of honor, pride, that was the most essential. Gallic pride did not help the Gauls against Julius Caesar.

I have watched some of the forgotten weapons youtubes on the development of french firearms and this was theme that was often mentioned. Some of their guns were very good and like a lot armies at times not the best choice. It was often the pride and being a legend in their own minds that got them into trouble. Like at dien bien phu when it was pointed out that the Vietminh could put artillery in the hills and the french high command pooh-poohed the idea that these asians could do such a thing. The germans when facing the Maginot line simply went around it. The lebel rifle was like put together in months for the first use of smokeless power, but the rifle was black powder technology with a tube magazine. It worked but was not as good as what the russians, germans, british, and nearly everyone was using in the 90's and the french used the lebel for years afterward. The US also adopted the krag rifle that after the spanish american war was found to be deficient.
    The french do have a different way of looking things this can be good or bad. The was especially true of their cars and pickups at one time.
    Last edited by barnetmill; 05-20-2019 at 09:57 PM.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

A foite ( toe kick) to the liver or spleen is no joke.
    Also the Savate chasse (side kick) goes from the ground or floating near the ground direct to the target. When it makes contact body is aligned and weight is transferred.
    Taika Oyata's RyuTe does it in similar fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcampbell View Post
    A foite ( toe kick) to the liver or spleen is no joke.
    Also the Savate chasse (side kick) goes from the ground or floating near the ground direct to the target. When it makes contact body is aligned and weight is transferred.
    Taika Oyata's RyuTe does it in similar fashion.
    Some karate school teach starting from the ground and others want the leg up and cocked/flexed before extension. I prefer starting from the ground, but it is a little easier mechanically to block it for skill fighter, but it is much faster to execute.
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Will do, thanks. The cartridge appears to be lightly loaded for such a robust weapon, especially compared to .45 Colt or .45 Schofield. It's good that .45 AR works, but like you I would load this one down.
    If you review the ballistics of period revolvers in those years the loads were quite light in the 43-45 calibers that were used. I guess people were easier to kill at one time. We in the USA for time ended going light too for the .38 long colt that went out of fashion during the fight against the moros in the Philippines that proved just plain hard to stop and some were wearing make shift armor made from local materials that was wood or bamboo from my readings.
    I would probably handload as your are doing but with the most robust black powder combination that I could come up with. Most military revolver can take a little more than military load, but of course you could damage them. I would least get them to the point where it would knock the steel if they not capable of doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    Chasse Bas is something worth exploring.
    Another technique Jon Jones blends into his Muay Thai and boxing effectively along with the oblique kicks referenced in the low leg kicks thread.

A number of the Dutch Muay Thai fighters and gyms have long incorporated either Savate techniques or the lighter on the feet stance and faster pace or both.

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    Some karate school teach starting from the ground and others want the leg up and cocked/flexed before extension. I prefer starting from the ground, but it is a little easier mechanically to block it for skill fighter, but it is much faster to execute.
    When I trained in TKD, we used both at different times for different purposes in sparring. Most of us developed pretty powerful strikes with both, with a little effort.

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post

From the ground seems to give less preceeding warning motion. RyuTe side kick hits with the heel up and toes down akin to a back kick.

I have long followed Savate techniques and have never lived anywhere with instructors. Jerome LeBanner of K1 game was French and was a legit bad ass. Lastly, check my thread on Paris I am starting, I have family visiting Paris in June against my wishes but need any intel anyone can pass