Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 2, 16. And a wakeup.

The concensus here seems to be that tacking was not the coach's best option in this situation. What other tactics should have he used instead? He wasn't armed, so "shoot him in the face" isn't a useful response.

Default Tackling campus gunmen is the new anti-terror technique

Any action more aggressive than victim-cowering in a corner is movement, however slight, towards self-reliance. I would consider the violent tackle a step forward in the language of violence on the way to the least expensive solution using multiple karate-like strikes by high velocity JHP techniques.
    Coach Lowe self-selected, used a practiced skill, and apparently delivered a threat-stopping strike. No question he would have been better served, and less at risk, if properly armed and trained.

Wonder if Mr. Lowe would be interested in a couple SI classes??
    Last edited by Ted Demosthenes; 05-20-2019 at 09:50 AM.
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

2019 Classes:

From Murphy: "Incoming has the right-of-way" (so, GOTFX!!)

Quote Originally Posted by zrok View Post
    The concensus here seems to be that tacking was not the coach's best option in this situation. What other tactics should have he used instead? He wasn't armed, so "shoot him in the face" isn't a useful response.
    In TASI I teach a couple of tackle/takedown techniques but they focus on targeting the head & neck and leveraging your weight and momentum + leverage to detach the spine from the skull, or smashes the receiver face first into the ground while receiving a choke that will break the H bone and or put them out in a second or two with minimal fuss. I usually walk through both techniques with the largest person in class to show that it's even effective with someone much bigger in stature. I believe I used Dorkface as my recipient in CO, so he can comment on if he thinks it would be effective or not.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Indeed. When Greg hit me from behind the only reason my face wasn't driven into the dirt was because I was expecting it and Greg wasn't trying to actually hurt me. Once on the ground the options of what to do after punching someones face with the planet are almost endless. If one has the will.

If Icremember right the second one was where he hit me from the front in a clothes line that he rolled into a blood choke and, after asking if it was ok, choked me out. I might be misremembering that one. I do know I got choked out lol.

After that I think Greg used the taller guy in class to show ways of seperating the head from the spine. Even when someone doesn't have some tools with them they are far from unarmed.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Alternatives, face full of fire extingisher followed by bludgeoning said shooter into the ground with the same extingisher , puts out fires and shooters.

The proactive takedown would be preferred if there wasnt sufficient time to prepare the ambush AND the operator was trained in the technique.

Though it does bring to mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5dJb2YG7vU
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by coastalcop View Post

Though it does bring to mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5dJb2YG7vU
    Sometimes it aint just bringing the pain its intimidation, mind games baby!
    Last edited by Greg Nichols; 05-20-2019 at 03:12 PM.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

since I myself work in a non-permissive environment (high school campus) threads like this are a great source of info for me

so the the thought should be improvised weapons on the subject versus tackling/grappling?

I do carry a couple of objects which could be used as improvised items, but don't scream "weapon" and interfere with my retirement or my ability to pay child support. I also continuously look around when I'm in different locations on campus and other district buildings and think of what I could or could not use

KB
    “Nobody trusts anyone, or why did they put tilt on a pinball machine.”
    Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    In TASI I teach a couple of tackle/takedown techniques but they focus on targeting the head & neck and leveraging your weight and momentum + leverage to detach the spine from the skull, or smashes the receiver face first into the ground while receiving a choke that will break the H bone and or put them out in a second or two with minimal fuss. I usually walk through both techniques with the largest person in class to show that it's even effective with someone much bigger in stature. I believe I used Dorkface as my recipient in CO, so he can comment on if he thinks it would be effective or not.
    Thanks, Greg. I appreciate the response and agree that more violence could have been applied. It's better to focus on disabling the shooter than simply disarming them. I hope to make it to your TASI class someday.