Default My Impression Of The Trijicon RMR HRS

_DSC5908.jpg
    My Impression Of The Trijicon RMR HRS

Trijicon’s RMR is and has continued to be the king of the handgun optics. I first installed this on a Glock 17 slide in 2010. Since then everyone has been not only copying what we did, but trying to dethrone the RMR. We have seen many come close, but all fail in one way or another. Trijicon eliminated the “flickering dot” issue that sometimes came up with their Type 2 model, and the reliability, clarity, and ruggedness hasn’t changed. The only real issue is that they are not inexpensive, but then again, nothing good ever is.

We began looking at the RMR HRS as the key unit for our Military Handgun Project. Here are some points.

The RMR HRS utilizes a coyote brown, anodized finish. This is an improvement over the past cerakoted RMR models. Cerakote is fine as long as you don’t use the weapon hard. But once you do, it will wear off just as it does on your slide. Being anodized in that color gives a greater degree of durability to the finish. If you wanted a black or OD Green HRS, you are out of luck. I expect that Trijicon will likely include the improvements from the HRS into their standard line of RMR optics…as well as colors.

The HRS features a slightly redesigned housing that redirects stress away from the lens glass. It has improved audible and tactile windage and elevation adjustments. These seem to be much more evident than on the standard RMR and will eliminate any possibility (however rare) of a misadjusted zero. It also boasts of the Type 2 electronics designed for greater durability and performance in punishing conditions. The Type 2 battery contacts are designed to work under continued recoil impulse.

Along with the same Type 2 automatic brightness and push buttons to control eight adjustable brightness settings, the HRS has two night vision settings, along with super bright, add versatility. This model has a button lockout feature for automatic mode, preventing accidental adjustments, and a battery conservation setting. Unlike many other low cost RMR wannabes that simply shut themselves off after some time, after 16.5 hours, the RMR automatically adjusts the aiming dot to ambient lighting conditions.

I have been running the HRS on our first MHS-17 Pistol and it functions the same as all our other RMRs. I don’t intend to throw it off a building, run it over or blow it up. But it is an RMR and the ruggedness is evident in its lineage.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Gabe, are there different versions of the RMR HRS (dot size, color, illumination features, etc)?

If so, which one do you recommend and why?

Thanks!

There is only the one
    Gabriel Suarez

Really appreciate the write-up, I was under the impression the HRS only difference was the color/finish.

It has a few marginal advances...mostly relating to the finish in my opinion.
    Gabriel Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    It has a few marginal advances...mostly relating to the finish in my opinion.
    I would like to see the lock-out feature trickle down but it's not necessary.
    I am still new to the RMR and occasionally use it to do press checks and such, sometimes inadvertently pressing a button and so losing the auto-adjust until I finally notice.
    It's a training issue that I need to fix so it's on me more than the RMR.