Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Interesting car burglary and car theft down the street from me

Interesting car burglary and car theft down the street from me. Now the question of shooting someone never came up, but the most recent part of this drama did leave me thinking about it.
    Two nights ago a neighbor's wife leaves her purse with keys in an unlocked Datsun. Last night her car was stolen. Her husband got some information and found the car parked in front of a residence just as the thieves were retrieving the car a few hours ago. With a van he blocked the road and they drove through yards to get away. The house appears to belong to an elderly couple that may be related to the criminals.

This got me wondering. As I understand it according to Florida Law you may not shoot either into an occupied house or occupied passenger vehicle. But yet they are fleeing with his property and he gets to watch them get away. I would have certainly been tempted to take the tires out. According to shooting diagram the goblins can not be shot if no one's life is in danger and in florida that would also include some forcible felonies which this was not.

It is events like this that do try your soul not being able to act to do the morally correct thing. I think the police will likely catch these low lives eventually, no telling what shape the car will be in. Possibly the sentence will not be too harsh if it is not the third time or more.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Yeah, taking a shot at the tires would be tempting, although obviously a huge no-no, legally speaking. Stuff like that always gets charged with attempted murder or assault or similar.

Although when I was doing defense work, I always thought it would be fun to have a client who shot out tires, or put a round into something that wasn't a person, on purpose, and that the client would have great documentation of their marksmanship and training history, and the ability to call experts on how good a shot they were. It would be a fun legal challenge to put all the evidence forward that the bullet(s) went exactly where intended, and that the client had no intent or negligence or recklessness in their actions, against the charges that required such things.

Although BEING that client would suck. But the argument part would be fun.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

There are situations, on and off duty, in which I would shoot at a moving car. This is not one of them.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 2, 15. And a wakeup.

Just imagine how much less crime there would be if you could shoot people for breaking into your house, your garage, your car/truck, etc.

Don't care what the "experts" say. The possibility of jail time isn't nearly the deterrent that the possibility of immediate/painful death is.

We need to get rid of this shit where someone (or the family of someone) who is killed during the commission of a crime gets to sue over it. You get "hurt" while committing action that "hurt" someone else then you deserve what happens to you.

If the car is being used as a weapon against you or the occupants are firing on you then in most reasonable states you should be okay shooting back... But if this altercation is the result of you tracking down criminals instead of just informing the police then you might still be in trouble.

Datsun?

1972?
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby
    "Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth"- Oscar Wilde.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Frederick View Post
    If the car is being used as a weapon against you or the occupants are firing on you then in most reasonable states you should be okay shooting back... But if this altercation is the result of you tracking down criminals instead of just informing the police then you might still be in trouble.
    If you got out and placed yourself in front of the car you likely could shoot at them if they drove in your direction, but no one in their right mind would do that. But people do it often without a weapon and are hit by the fleeing car. You could put the car you are driving in front and then shoot if you thought they were going to ram you, but still not a good idea especially if the objective to recover your stolen property in one piece and also not damage the car your are driving.
    Being a civilian sucks at times.
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny C! View Post
    Datsun?

1972?
    Actually my bad it was a mazda

Im sorry; but my first thoughts were "purse in an unlocked car" in a neighborhood where shitheads are nearby.... then going hunting for it. I get the "I want to be a pirate" thing, but THIS was the best possible outcome for a bunch of really poor choices. Exactly what was irreplaceable in the stolen car? What good would have come out of shooting YOUR car? What do you do with the two thugs after you stop the car? How long before the police arrive VS how long before help comes for the bad guys? … and then what does your insurance say about the damage to your van (and other property) because YOU blocked the road?

IDK?

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    Im sorry; but my first thoughts were "purse in an unlocked car" in a neighborhood where shitheads are nearby.... then going hunting for it. I get the "I want to be a pirate" thing, but THIS was the best possible outcome for a bunch of really poor choices. Exactly what was irreplaceable in the stolen car? What good would have come out of shooting YOUR car? What do you do with the two thugs after you stop the car? How long before the police arrive VS how long before help comes for the bad guys? … and then what does your insurance say about the damage to your van (and other property) because YOU blocked the road?

IDK?
    This ever happens to me, I hope I have the sense not to PIT my own POV with my own POV.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 2, 15. And a wakeup.