Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Glock 17 small of back concealed.

Many years ago, as a young police officer, I carried a service pistol several times on ‘small of back – palm outside, without holster at all (mission undercover). From then I wear it only 3 o clock on duty (Comtech) and appendix off duty (Dale Fricke). Now I have some extra pounds, so it's no longer comfortable to wear on appendix. If I’ll wear at 3 o'clock in the summer time there is lots of printing.

Now I have Glocks 17 gen 5 - off duty and for a few days I conceal it on small of back, without holster – palm out. I do not mind at all when I’m driving my car or when I’m staying all day at the office. The pistol keep his possition good enough. The weapon cannot be get it as fast as I have done from appendix, but for sure I have it with me all the time..... especially when it is very hot outside. Here it is forbidden to carry a cartridge into the barrel, so there are no safety problems in this rergard. One problem could be that in the rush time, the gun becomes more accessible for those behind me than to me.

Please for those of you, who are familiar with small of back conceal methods (with or without holsters), tell me yours points o view, and some recommendation for a good holster who will not injure my spine. Is it worth to invest time and ammo in training for such carried method?
    Last edited by Alexandru; 05-14-2019 at 04:53 AM.
    “No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity. But I knew none, and therefore am no beast.” Richard III – William Shakespeare

It would be a far better investment of time and money to lose the weight to carry appendix all the time.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

1. I would carry a small revolver OWB at appendix rather than a condition 3 semi SOB.
    2. Dorkface is right. If you reduce waist and increase chest the shirt fabric will drape well enough to hide anything. I'd still carry a revolver in preference to a condition 3 auto. But I might carry a hicap semi as a second gun, to run as a "New York reload."
    3. I would ignore a rule that could get me killed.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 2, 11. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    It would be a far better investment of time and money to lose the weight to carry appendix all the time.

Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    It's starting to feel that I just need to keep a Word doc that has responses to questions we've addressed multiple times saved on it so I can just copy and paste to save time as the same ones keep coming back around.

1) SOB sucks.
    2) There is no holster made that will prevent the potential of causing injury if you fall on a weapon in the small of your back
    3) You can't access the weapon if you're on your back in a H2H fight
    4) Striker fired weapons should never be carried without a holster
    5) Carrying with an empty chamber is always a bad idea
    6) Time and money is better spent on diet and gym than it is to be spent trying to maximize a substandard carry method

Based on the OP I'd suggest either larger pants while you lose the extra Lbs, or wearing at 3:00 with a cover garment until you do.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

[QUOTE=Greg Nichols;1936710]
    There is no holster made that will prevent the potential of causing injury if you fall on a weapon in the small of your back.

I carry a spare magazine on my left hip. I had the illuminating experience of slipping on ice and falling one day. The first, and hardest, point of contact with the sidewalk was a Glock magazine.

Based upon the experience of having three days of having no position in which I could sit comfortably, I can only believe that if you go down hard on a Glock that is carried over your lower spine, you will, 1. Be out of the fight and 2. Not be getting up under your own power.
    Discipline is just choosing between what you want now and what you want most.

Gunsite Orange, API -250 Sept. 1978 (Everybody starts somewhere)
    CRG - July 2011, Oct. 2017
    PSP - April 2012
    TMCO - Sept. 2012
    TWOTU since 2011

Glock Certified Armorer

Everything that needs to be said has been said. SOB sucks. Drop the ballast and go AIWB.

FB_IMG_1532131797317.jpg this really isnt a thing
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Thanks for open my mind for right way regarding some of my questions. I dind t think about going down on my back with pistol in sob...in fact never hapens, but is a bad option.
    Then I ll train harder at the punching bag for losing the extra pounds and give up some beers after.
    Until then Cheers!
    “No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity. But I knew none, and therefore am no beast.” Richard III – William Shakespeare

Going down is only one of the negatives of SOB. Try drawing from one while sitting in your car. Try drawing from one while sitting in a movie theatre or even at a table.