Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Muzzle Brake Question

My daughter in law will be hunting in Alaska using a .270 Win or perhaps a .30-06 and my son and I think that a muzzle brake might solve any recoil problems that might arrive. Any suggestions as to what would be best for this purpose?

Thanks
    jim
    2 Samuel 22; Psalm 139:21-22

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw76 View Post
    My daughter in law will be hunting in Alaska using a .270 Win or perhaps a .30-06 and my son and I think that a muzzle brake might solve any recoil problems that might arrive. Any suggestions as to what would be best for this purpose?

Thanks
    jim
    Does she generally shoot either of those 2 calibers without too much trouble? If so hunting shouldn't be any problem for her. The guides tend to keep ranges reasonable to short and with typical hunting clothing the recoil should be pretty mild. Not to mention most folks hardly notice recoil when shooting at game. ..specially bears!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Fat bastard brakes are some of the best for heavier calibers. 338 mag kicks like a mild 308 with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All breaks work about the same, this is what a guy told me that built 1000s in all shapes and sizes. Try to get a reputable manufacturers and have it threaded on. That would be my advice...

Has she used a rifle with a break?

She is a tack driver with a .243, AR, and .22LR. I dont know if she has shot her father's braked rifles or not.

I was told that this will be meat hunting for deer, elk, moose, and maybe black bear. Grizzles would naturally require something heavier, and DIL isn't interested in that.

Thanks for the advice.

jim

If you're starting from scratch, one of the 6.5 or a non-magnum 7mm cartridges such as the .260 Rem, 6.5 Swede or the 7mm-08 offer significantly less recoil and will make meat just fine.
    "Public employee unions are an inherently seditious construct"
    "If you see something, say something... so we can call you a racist!"
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!

Quote Originally Posted by kabar View Post
    If you're starting from scratch, one of the 6.5 or a non-magnum 7mm cartridges such as the .260 Rem, 6.5 Swede or the 7mm-08 offer significantly less recoil and will make meat just fine.
    Thanks. I suggested that, and the idea was discarded because of ammo availability in Alaska. I don't know if he thinks that the killing power is lacking for Class 3 big game like moose or he wants the long range abilities of the .270 Win for goats, caribou and the like or not. Son was going to get a .30-06 but petite wife may be leery of that.

Premium heavy bullet loads in all calibers are expensive and living on an Airman First Class wages may be the influencing factor in this, but I dont know. He and I both know that Federal 150 gr loads are affordable and will work on non dangerous game to include black bear so that may be where this is all going.

Son has stated that he will get a .300 Win Mag for Grizzly next year.

jim

Soooooo we're looking for a solution before we even know if theres a problem. I bought my wife a 7mm08 because I wanted her to have less recoil for her first hunting rifle for Wild Boer etc. Silly me the difference in felt recoil between 308 and 7mm08, was hardly noticeable, and probably more fit related. Fitting makes more sense to me than worrying about a muzzle break, which will increase the noise/blast of the gun.

DIL is tall and willowy, and I guess she is apprehensive of recoil in hunting rifles. I will have to check with her dad and see if he knows anything. Who knows, perhaps one of those Remington recoil pads would do the trick. I will see if son can find an acquaintance that will let her fire an 06 or .270. I really dont think she is up to recoil from either rifle, but who knows, son and I may be very wrong.

jim