Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Default Feeling the itch for a dirty 30 (30 cal.)

Kind of getting the itch for 30 cal again (7.62x39/51), but can't even settle on a platform to work with. So far I've been considering the following:

Back into the 7.62 AK
    16/18" AR .308
    M1A Scout Squad
    HK Pattern battle rifle
    FAL

Right now I'm leaning to the AR as the rest of my stable is AR so the manual of arms would be the same, but M1As are so sexy and the AK is so universal (and I'm very familiar with the platform). I'm not settled on anything here yet other than I am not looking for a "sniper" set up but more of a GPR/DMR as my stable is missing something for envelopes between my 18" super recce 5.56 and my 7mm rem mag bolt gun.

so let's hear it.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

No .300 blk? I would. Choose that before 7.62x39. Better platform then an AK and waaaaayy more ammo choices as well as quallity ammo choices.

I love my m14. I would go that route, cause I did, get a Sadlak mount and put whatever optic you want. Mine is a Springfield "loaded" that will put rounds 168s in an eyeball sized group at 300 yards.

I have been wondering about AR 10s but haven't looked too deep in them yet. They have somethings to offer.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    No .300 blk? I would. Choose that before 7.62x39. Better platform then an AK and waaaaayy more ammo choices as well as quallity ammo choices.
    I haven't gotten into the .300 BO because I haven't gotten into the suppressor market yet and may never do it so I've avoided it as a caliber selection.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

A simple build from Aero Precision topped with a mid-range optic filled that niche for me.
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

Train with Payne 2019

AK RIFLE GUNFIGHTING - OCT 26-27, 2019 HOUSTON, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    I haven't gotten into the .300 BO because I haven't gotten into the suppressor market yet and may never do it so I've avoided it as a caliber selection.
    I don't have any cans but dumped x39 for .300. Its better in every way except for cheap craptastic ammo. You really should consider it. If not, I will sell you my Sig 556r gen 2 that I haven't shot in years since I got my first .300 blk.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    I don't have any cans but dumped x39 for .300. Its better in every way except for cheap craptastic ammo. You really should consider it. If not, I will sell you my Sig 556r gen 2 that I haven't shot in years since I got my first .300 blk.
    I had one that I got rid of when I dumped x39 about 5-6 years ago. I was considering getting my Madi AK back but it's not filling the envelope that the x51 would so nostalgia and proclivity world wide are the only 2 real motivators on this one.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

PTR with a welded rail . Equal to anything produced today - accuracy wise , just not as light as some . Cheap mags , modularity , cool as hell , and $1000 .

honestly im piecing together a 10 build right now, have receivers so far, still need to get the expensive stuff, but hoping to have it ready for spring

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Quote Originally Posted by uglydog03 View Post
    PTR with a welded rail . Equal to anything produced today - accuracy wise , just not as light as some . Cheap mags , modularity , cool as hell , and $1000 .
    No, really not even close to what a good modern AR can do for accuracy. A bunch of us here have been down that road already. Adequate, yes, but not equal to "anything produced today" by a long shot.

I have not been in the AK market for a while, but I still like the caliber. Yes, you can say 300 is better but sometimes it’s nice to have the option to shoot cheap AK ammo. And there are times I would rather carry 7.62x39 than .223.

For something reasonably compact and robust for dealing with large four legged critters while on a hike, I would consider an AK pistol. I’m not sure if arsenal makes pistols or not, but you might be able to find a 556R pistol.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps