Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    4. Gentleman Warrior self-image that sets the stage for the requisite mental attitude, and simplifies action.

Have those four...really have them, and any active shooter (crazy guy or jihadist) that targets anyplace you happen to be standing, is in far more danger from you, than you are from him.

I'll add a 5th - a role-model who has most or all of the above 4 traits.

While in my limited experience warriors are born, they can be greatly honed by a good role-model. For me it was Uncle who was a combat vet that was utterly dependable in any situation (violence or other). If we're unsure about something we tend to look to our role-models...hopefully he's a hunter and not a pseudo-intellectual...

As an aside, a few days ago four thugs thought my 70 year old Uncle would be an easy mark. He sent two to the ER with his bare-hands (fractured skull and broken bones), the other two decided knives weren't enough to help them and fled. Uncle went home with a few scrapes and a big grin on his face. I don't see any PTSD.

I think it has more to do with leftists that run the city and hiring processes that intentionally weed out candidates that show a disposition for aggression.
    Last edited by paranoid; 05-10-2019 at 06:21 PM.
    Paul

Seek first the Kingdom of God

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    This is a good point, and might even be an advantage for non-LEOs in an active shooter scenario if they've had proper training and carry the proper mindset for the event, as the mental conditioning isn't watered down by the daily imprinting of how things are "supposed" to go down.
    In addition, the Rules of Engagement for civilians is different than for LEO's.

As a civilian, I do NOT carry a gun with a mindset to "apprehend" or "detain" a suspect. These items are NOT a part of my flowchart.

I carry a gun (always, always, always) in order to neutralize a threat, not to gain compliance.

He's dead, Jim. He's dead.

The night I saw Gabe's original post my wife and I were watching one of her murder mystery movies. I usually don't mind them, but this one really ground my gears. It opened with a young woman being chased through the woods at night; she fell down (of course), froze in place (of course), begged for her life (of course), and sat still while the killer took aim and shot her (of course). Later in the story we discover she was U.S. military in civvies, murdered because of yadda-yadda etc. The take away was that despite her military background and having plenty of warning that she was going to be attacked, she had no survival instincts, no fighting spirit, no desire to save herself. At. All. She was a victim -- and a hero (of course) for having left clues to capturing her killer.

I paused the movie and pointed at my laptop and asked my wife to read the title of this threat. She just shook her head. It was almost comical. The girl in the scene was most definitely predisposed to negotiate, not to act. I went on a 90-second rant about dumbass writers and "Whatever happened to this whole women-are-strong-we-can-do-anything thing that Hollywood is always bragging about? They're perpetuating the very thing they claim is offensive!"

Then I un-paused the movie and went back to reading Gabe's article.

So, yeah, it was a crappy movie and filled with tired, cliched writing, and mediocre acting, but that's part of the problem. It's not just the hypocrisy of the mainstream media. People who don't know any better emulate and replicate dumbass behavior they see in the mainstream media all the time. It's all they got. I've noticed with frustration that people who should know better -- who've actually received "training" fall into this same category.

This is just part of the culture of "being civilized" aka domesticated. And (of course) it's nothing new. But it's getting worse. Today people aren't faced simply with good manners, The Law, religious mores, and the like, but the enhanced and corrosive phenomenon of political correctness, microaggressions and the fear of being branded a "racist" or transphobic or <name your poison> at any moment.

The other problem is some people get into professions that they should not, be it police, military, medical, aviation, emergency response, etc. They often do it for honorable reasons, sometimes opportunism, sometimes just because they need a job. Rarely do they really take inventory on what the job requires and then do an internal audit to see if they really have what it takes. For example, I originally joined up as a teenager to be an military policeman; I was okay at it, but I did the audit and decided I would be a better military journalist. It was a good call and I was able to better use my talents in one field but still get the adrenaline rush and sense of purpose that the Army had to offer.

In my time I've seen guys who looked and acted rough and ready but passed out dead cold at the sight of blood, or panic during a Scud missile attack and lose their weapon. (No shit, they never found it ) I even had a field grade officer piss himself (and the seat of our truck) when we had a near "friendly fire" incident. On the other hand, I've worked with people who worked in administrative and education job, in small business and especially sports, who had the warrior mindset in spades. Getting punched in the face didn't slow them down, the sight of blood didn't phase them, a three-county blackout was an annoyance, not the end of the world; and fighting for their children -- or their lives -- was non-negotiable.

For the record, scenes like the above aren't completely useless; they are great examples of What To Not Do. Don't get in the van; don't give up your gun; don't brandish or give speeches, just shoot; don't just freeze up, do something, etc. ad infinitum, ad nauseam.

Anyway, that's how we spent our evening.

Pity my poor wife.
    Last edited by Redneck Zen; 05-10-2019 at 08:59 PM.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

I am not a police man nor have I being in a Self Defence Situation in my life but what Cabe wrote resonated with me.

As an Afrikaner in South Africa my language it seems is constantly under threat and I am often called a racist in the media by default-Speaking Afrikaans and by simply being an Afrikaner.

Sadly only one person has taken up the banner against these attacks and has being quite outspoken on social media. An accomplished actor, singer, author and being much loved by the Afrikaans community people pay close attention to what he has to say.

Unfortunately he reacts by lashing out. Making statements that are sometimes racists or borders on racism. And uses symbols that he knows is offence in my opinion.

Because of this I have distanced myself from him by speaking out against his actions as well as the people who follow him blindly in conversations with friends and family.

I realize after reading Cabe`s post that in the process of distancing myself for the racism I have allowed the "other side" to slide, letting them get away with their own acts of racism and racist attacks in the media. By spending my time talking/negotiating if you will focusing on what my side should not say and do and I have not gone on the offensive. Speaking out more strongly and taking a stand against racism directed at me because of who I am.

OSSU!
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    This is a good point, and might even be an advantage for non-LEOs in an active shooter scenario if they've had proper training and carry the proper mindset for the event, as the mental conditioning isn't watered down by the daily imprinting of how things are "supposed" to go down.
    It is an advantage for us Non-LEOs as long as we have the right training and mindset. There is plenty of evidence of civilians trying to do everything they can to keep from shooting as well.

I have had the fortune of being present at two of these scenarios in the last month or so. While I didn't have the threat directly in front of me there was credible threats with the first one with the crazy lady and the second with proximity to a school shooter in so far as when I got to my daughters school there were already a half dozen cops with m4s there. As we got information as things were developing my wife and I made the decision to pull our daughter out early from school. It was a good call as shortly after I got there and got our daughter out of there they switched all the schools from lock out to lock down. The lock down wasn't lifted for a few hours in which they won't release anyone. War gaming and preplanning events works and short circuits the decision matrix when information is limited and/or developing. It helps one get ahead of the collective OODA loop so you can act faster than the authorities because action always beats reaction.

While the opportunity for ballistic intervention didn't present itself all other aspects from training and discussions here were in full effect. The Suarez Method works. Its also worth noting that in the second incident I walked into the area as a Gazelle with the Lion as the second layer of skin; thanking the officers as I passed them with my phone in my hand though I wasn't really looking at it.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Little late to this party, but this whole discussion makes me think that a significant degree of risk-aversion has imbued the general thinking of the younger generation(s), among whom I fall at 24. The desires to remain comfortable, avoid risk, believe that dangerous/violent things only happen "over there", and maintain some mode of complacence are not unique to young folks, but these tendencies have been reinforced pretty significantly. Fighting is dangerous, and it's particularly so when it requires that you deny what you want to believe is true about the world (no one will actually get killed) and acknowledge what is actually the case, plus what you must do in response (someone will get killed, and I'd better make sure it's the bad guy, not me or others).

Sad to say, I've seen some of this in my own psyche at times; a good example on a less important, simpler scale is some hesitation while playing rec soccer in an adult league last fall. Obviously this isn't the same as hesitating during a fight, but as a goalkeeper, I couldn't afford to hesitate and cost my team some points due to waiting too long to rush an attacking player. Finally I faced the fact that I knew what I needed to do and just needed to do it, dadgummit--and then I made a lot more saves.

Glad I got that out of my system on the soccer field and not while considering how best to kill someone, and then getting myself killed. It seems a lot of others my age (and older, too) need to train a core set of responses and not fear using them.
    Last edited by Faramir2; 05-20-2019 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Left out a sentence first time around.