Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 357 Sig

when SIG developed the 357 SIG with Federal it was to emulate/equal the 357 Magnum that police departments were carrying...to the extent that they had not transitioned to semi-autos...Federal's original load was a 125GR bullet at 1400 fps from the P229 pistol...the original cartridge out of the P229 did just that...an equal to most departments carrying 4 inch .357 Magnum revolvers...

If someone wants the bullet to do something other than the original loading there are choices...

any comparisons I witnessed showed the 125GR loading from Federal and later from Speer in it's Gold Dot but at a slightly slower 1375 fps performed well on windshields, car side and rear glass...

I sometimes read the detractors claiming the 357 SIG does not equal .357 Magnum out of a 4" revolver but the numbers I usually read are from longer barrels or what someone remembers from back when...any old articles I can find shows 357 SIG pretty much spot on...of course there are several boutique loaded cartridges you can purchase

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by silversport View Post
    when SIG developed the 357 SIG with Federal it was to emulate/equal the 357 Magnum that police departments were carrying...to the extent that they had not transitioned to semi-autos...Federal's original load was a 125GR bullet at 1400 fps from the P229 pistol...the original cartridge out of the P229 did just that...an equal to most departments carrying 4 inch .357 Magnum revolvers...

If someone wants the bullet to do something other than the original loading there are choices...

any comparisons I witnessed showed the 125GR loading from Federal and later from Speer in it's Gold Dot but at a slightly slower 1375 fps performed well on windshields, car side and rear glass...

I sometimes read the detractors claiming the 357 SIG does not equal .357 Magnum out of a 4" revolver but the numbers I usually read are from longer barrels or what someone remembers from back when...any old articles I can find shows 357 SIG pretty much spot on...of course there are several boutique loaded cartridges you can purchase

Bill
    the velocities originally cited for .357 mag in the 1930's and the .44 mag in the 1950's were much higher than what is usually quoted from most manufacturers. The .357 sig is said to be equal to the velocities obtained in typical K and L frame .357 revolvers with compact barrel lengths. A handloader with an 8 3/8" barreled model 27 smith and wesson revolver of course can beat any sane .357 sig load, but that is not what we are talking about.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I thought so...cheers!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    I have interest in the 357 SIG for backcountry use. I still have not selected the "best load", but speed is not my most telling need, nor is reach. I want as deep penetration and tissue destruction as possible inside 25 yards. I am focused more on large animals than people for this and want something a bit better than 9mm.

Nothing wrong with 357 SIG for EDC (cue in the gasp of incredulity again from you-know-who)...and yes, you could put a safety on it as well. The concept of the 38 Super was based on penetration of armor and vehicles, which apparently the 38 revolver cartridges nor the 45 ACP were able to accomplish. The 38 super did well enough to be kept as a goto up until the early sixties apparently.

38 super today is not a good choice as it's load has been kept light in order to not blow up older weapons made for it. A new 38 Super (conceptually) is the 357 SIG.

I asked Underwood a few years back what they recommended for hogs if I was limited to .357 sig and they recommended their 115gr solid copper XTreme penetrator at 1450fps. I bet that would penetrate pretty well, they certainly do in gel tests I can find online. Now Underwood and Buffalo Bore have a 147gr 9mm hardcast that is 1100fps ... an interesting option but with a 300lb boar charging me I would feel more comfortable with .357 sig.

My Glock 40 10mm fits my hand better and I have the DeltaPoint you sold me on it so that's what I usually pack in the woods in TX, with 200gr XTPs or hardcast, but I would feel fine with my Glock 31 with the right ammo.

Anyone having failure to feed issues with their 357 Sigs? I was and I think I finally root caused the issue. I am running a Gen 3 G22 with a 357 Sig conversion barrel. The gun had been running just fine with the mags that originally came with the gun. I ended up buying some new spare mags and immediately started having failure to feed issues. It took me a while to spot the actual issue, but it appears that when Glock added the ambi mag release they messed with the internal dimensions of the mag. The old non-ambi and first gen ambi mags have loaded round indicator holes that are completely horizontal. The newest ambi mags have the odd numbered holes slightly above the even numbered holes, basically meaning that the internal dimensions narrowed on the newest mag. You can also see the difference when looking at the front side of the mags. Obviously the non-ambi mags only have one release cutout. The first gen ambi mag you can see the steel body in the cutout and in the newest mag the cut outs are not showing any steel.

Why is this a problem? Basically the staggered stack of the newest mags increases the friction of the rounds on the side of the mag and was causing a brief delay in the stack of rounds advancing towards the feed lips. So when the slide cycled, the next round to feed was not being controlled with the mag spring pressure and would nose down into the bottom edge of the feed ramp.

I hit a local gun shop that does a lot of LE turn in business and dug through their used 40 cal mag stock and bought 4 non-ambi mags. Those used mags all ran without issues.

20190801_162207.jpg20190801_162552.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by droggsey View Post
    Anyone having failure to feed issues with their 357 Sigs? I was and I think I finally root caused the issue. I am running a Gen 3 G22 with a 357 Sig conversion barrel. The gun had been running just fine with the mags that originally came with the gun. I ended up buying some new spare mags and immediately started having failure to feed issues. It took me a while to spot the actual issue, but it appears that when Glock added the ambi mag release they messed with the internal dimensions of the mag. The old non-ambi and first gen ambi mags have loaded round indicator holes that are completely horizontal. The newest ambi mags have the odd numbered holes slightly above the even numbered holes, basically meaning that the internal dimensions narrowed on the newest mag. You can also see the difference when looking at the front side of the mags. Obviously the non-ambi mags only have one release cutout. The first gen ambi mag you can see the steel body in the cutout and in the newest mag the cut outs are not showing any steel.

Why is this a problem? Basically the staggered stack of the newest mags increases the friction of the rounds on the side of the mag and was causing a brief delay in the stack of rounds advancing towards the feed lips. So when the slide cycled, the next round to feed was not being controlled with the mag spring pressure and would nose down into the bottom edge of the feed ramp.

I hit a local gun shop that does a lot of LE turn in business and dug through their used 40 cal mag stock and bought 4 non-ambi mags. Those used mags all ran without issues.
    Why not just run 357 marked G31 mags?

Interesting information regarding the ambi mags. That makes little sense to me since the size of the case are no different, but it's something to keep an eye on and be aware of.

I have a few G31 mags but must of my mags are 40. I've had no issues with any of them using 357. I do not yet have any mags with the ambi release cuts.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Advanced Close Range Gunfighting - Nov 2-3 Mapleton, OR

Quote Originally Posted by khadga View Post
    Why not just run 357 marked G31 mags?
    At least up until this point I haven't heard of anyone having issues running the 40 cal mags. The 40 cal mags are everywhere, I bought these last four from Gabe when he had them on sale. Now that I know there is a potential issue I would want to examine a 357 marked mag before I bought one. Ideally I would like to load the mag and then unload it, just stripping the rounds with my thumb. I found that when stripping the rounds fast with your thumb, the rounds on the bad mags will nose down and actually catch on the front edge of the mag.

I did buy some 357 sig followers to see if that would help, but they didn't make any difference.

All of my G22 mags are ambi and I have never had a problem with them While shooting .357 Sig with the Suarez barrel.. even the 22 rounders... even reloads. Mine is also a gen 3. I haven't shot more than a thousand through this partucular one, but close to it as I have another pistol in .357 Sig. I wouldn't have a problem trusting any of them. The 1911 is picky but the Glock has always run fine.

Edit; I am using the Glock 31? (longer) barrel when I do this in the G22.
    Last edited by Fat; 09-08-2019 at 03:54 PM.