Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 357 Sig

Default 357 Sig

I have now 2 Glocks in 357 Sig, 1 is with the SI face shooter kit and the other is a 40 sw with the face shooter kit, SI PDW and a extended SI 357 barrel barrel that I got on clearance from SI. What factory ammo would y'all recommend for practice and defense?
    Thanks

I carry Underwood. The 115 gr was most accurate for me, but any of their stuff is a good choice.

For practice, whatever you can find that is reasonable. I usually just buy whatever is at the range.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Advanced Close Range Gunfighting - Nov 2-3 Mapleton, OR

I really like 357Sig. It made 200yd "body shots" easy. We were using my G35 with a SI RMR side to shoot at a 2x8 (half sheet of plywood). I have no idea how hard the rounds hit at that distance but it was comforting to know hitting was easily possible. Sure its possible to do that with other pistol cartridges; but 357SIG did it with minimal adjustments.

I do worry that 357SIG has fallen in popularity. Its harder to find, even at well stocked gun shops. I stocked up and I know its still available online.

For training, Iíve had good results with Speer Lawman 125gr Total Metal Jacket.

For self defense I carry Speer Gold Dot LE Duty 125gr JHP

I buy them online.
    - Ray -

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it IS an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it comes to dominate our lives and interests."
    - Patrick Henry

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson

You can search online using Ammoseek.com

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/357sig
    - Ray -

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it IS an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it comes to dominate our lives and interests."
    - Patrick Henry

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson

When I first started this line of work I was issued the .357 sig and we used the 125 grain gold dot. I carried one of the corbon dpx loads in my personal weapon off duty. I wish I could be more specific but that was way back.

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    I really like 357Sig. It made 200yd "body shots" easy. We were using my G35 with a SI RMR side to shoot at a 2x8 (half sheet of plywood). I have no idea how hard the rounds hit at that distance but it was comforting to know hitting was easily possible. Sure its possible to do that with other pistol cartridges; but 357SIG did it with minimal adjustments.

I do worry that 357SIG has fallen in popularity. Its harder to find, even at well stocked gun shops. I stocked up and I know its still available online.
    with what we've seen on steels at that distance is that it still hits with plenty of authority.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

I carry a G31 for work by choice. I carry Federal 125gr. HST. I also carry a G32 more often than not in street clothes. I like the round a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    with what we've seen on steels at that distance is that it still hits with plenty of authority.
    Certainly more so than 9, 40 or 45. And much easier to hit at that range too.

The longest pistol shot I've made was with 40 at 300 yards. This was with training ammo and I assume hotter carry ammo would be better. I could hit the steel consistently but I had to lob the shots like a mortar round. Seriously, I was aiming above the horizon.

The longest shot I've had the opportunity to make with 357 Sig was 280. I only had to aim about half the height of the front sight above the target.

The situations where you'd need to take a shot like that are obviously limited but that's not the point. I think there's value in knowing the limits of you and your gun/ammo's performance.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Advanced Close Range Gunfighting - Nov 2-3 Mapleton, OR

Found this video a few months back while looking for something else. The Tactical Sport is a big pistol (mine weighs in at 3 lbs. 7 oz.)

Near the end of the short (less than 1 minute) video they run some ammo through a chronograph. That velocity is hard to believe, but awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vXjbXd5SY0
    Last edited by M1A's r Best; 05-21-2019 at 04:58 PM.