Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 357 Sig

when SIG developed the 357 SIG with Federal it was to emulate/equal the 357 Magnum that police departments were carrying...to the extent that they had not transitioned to semi-autos...Federal's original load was a 125GR bullet at 1400 fps from the P229 pistol...the original cartridge out of the P229 did just that...an equal to most departments carrying 4 inch .357 Magnum revolvers...

If someone wants the bullet to do something other than the original loading there are choices...

any comparisons I witnessed showed the 125GR loading from Federal and later from Speer in it's Gold Dot but at a slightly slower 1375 fps performed well on windshields, car side and rear glass...

I sometimes read the detractors claiming the 357 SIG does not equal .357 Magnum out of a 4" revolver but the numbers I usually read are from longer barrels or what someone remembers from back when...any old articles I can find shows 357 SIG pretty much spot on...of course there are several boutique loaded cartridges you can purchase

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by silversport View Post
    when SIG developed the 357 SIG with Federal it was to emulate/equal the 357 Magnum that police departments were carrying...to the extent that they had not transitioned to semi-autos...Federal's original load was a 125GR bullet at 1400 fps from the P229 pistol...the original cartridge out of the P229 did just that...an equal to most departments carrying 4 inch .357 Magnum revolvers...

If someone wants the bullet to do something other than the original loading there are choices...

any comparisons I witnessed showed the 125GR loading from Federal and later from Speer in it's Gold Dot but at a slightly slower 1375 fps performed well on windshields, car side and rear glass...

I sometimes read the detractors claiming the 357 SIG does not equal .357 Magnum out of a 4" revolver but the numbers I usually read are from longer barrels or what someone remembers from back when...any old articles I can find shows 357 SIG pretty much spot on...of course there are several boutique loaded cartridges you can purchase

Bill
    the velocities originally cited for .357 mag in the 1930's and the .44 mag in the 1950's were much higher than what is usually quoted from most manufacturers. The .357 sig is said to be equal to the velocities obtained in typical K and L frame .357 revolvers with compact barrel lengths. A handloader with an 8 3/8" barreled model 27 smith and wesson revolver of course can beat any sane .357 sig load, but that is not what we are talking about.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I thought so...cheers!

Bill