Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 357 Sig

Good shooting. But I have a very hard time believing those numbers. WWB with 125gr at 1800+? I don’t buy it. Something wrong with the chrono perhaps.

Yondering and I only got 1800+ using Underwood 115gr out of an 11” Mechtech.

Out of a 6” Glock, we got right around 1700.

I don’t remember the numbers we got for the 125gr (Underwood and a couple other hot brands), but it wasn’t as fast.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Advanced Close Range Gunfighting - Nov 2-3 Mapleton, OR

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    I really like 357Sig. It made 200yd "body shots" easy. We were using my G35 with a SI RMR side to shoot at a 2x8 (half sheet of plywood). I have no idea how hard the rounds hit at that distance but it was comforting to know hitting was easily possible. Sure its possible to do that with other pistol cartridges; but 357SIG did it with minimal adjustments.

I do worry that 357SIG has fallen in popularity. Its harder to find, even at well stocked gun shops. I stocked up and I know its still available online.
    It is available, just costs more in my experience. For practice shooting I purchased a used oem barrel at SI for $50 can shoot 40 in mine. Brass if you reload is more available in 40 and I have a .22 upper for it.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I've a rare HK USP 357 sig that i'm going to dump on GB.. then RMR my G35 and put a 357 barrel in it.

While i "know" that statistically there's no difference between 9,40,&45. I can't help but think there's something to the 357 sig or the 135gr 10mm doing 1600fps. The problem is finding volunteers....Maybe some Minnesota Somali's with hammers? I could go visit my sister...

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    Good shooting. But I have a very hard time believing those numbers. WWB with 125gr at 1800+? I don’t buy it. .
    I agree with you.......I've experimented with multitudes of powders and bullet weights in high pressure pistol calibers..... It doesn't add up in barrel length the video represented. Even if the barrel length were 10" that would still be extreme velocities.

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    I really like 357Sig. It made 200yd "body shots" easy. We were using my G35 with a SI RMR side to shoot at a 2x8 (half sheet of plywood). I have no idea how hard the rounds hit at that distance but it was comforting to know hitting was easily possible. Sure its possible to do that with other pistol cartridges; but 357SIG did it with minimal adjustments.

I do worry that 357SIG has fallen in popularity. Its harder to find, even at well stocked gun shops. I stocked up and I know its still available online.
    If you have or get a 40 s&w barrel one use the 40 cal for training and save the .357 sig for when you need it. The 40 generic loads are lot less expensive. The 40 training loads are about 26 cents a round and .357 is about 39 cents a round for ammoman.com pricing.
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I have interest in the 357 SIG for backcountry use. I still have not selected the "best load", but speed is not my most telling need, nor is reach. I want as deep penetration and tissue destruction as possible inside 25 yards. I am focused more on large animals than people for this and want something a bit better than 9mm.

Nothing wrong with 357 SIG for EDC (cue in the gasp of incredulity again from you-know-who)...and yes, you could put a safety on it as well. The concept of the 38 Super was based on penetration of armor and vehicles, which apparently the 38 revolver cartridges nor the 45 ACP were able to accomplish. The 38 super did well enough to be kept as a goto up until the early sixties apparently.

38 super today is not a good choice as it's load has been kept light in order to not blow up older weapons made for it. A new 38 Super (conceptually) is the 357 SIG.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I have had the best accuracy using 125 grain Underwood ammo from my G32RMR.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I kneel for no man and pray to only one God; Jesus Christ.

تدريب لتكون في نهاية المطاف الأمريكي الكافر

CRG 09/2012, TMCO 11/2012, RGF I 09/2013, ACRG 11/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    ..... The concept of the 38 Super was based on penetration of armor and vehicles, which apparently the 38 revolver cartridges nor the 45 ACP were able to accomplish. The 38 super did well enough to be kept as a goto up until the early sixties apparently.

38 super today is not a good choice as it's load has been kept light in order to not blow up older weapons made for it. A new 38 Super (conceptually) is the 357 SIG.
    At one time when Mexicans were more freely allowed to legally own pistols, the .45 ACP was not legal, but the .38 ACP and .38 super chambered pistols were permitted for civilian ownership and the sales of such guns intended for south of the border may have also upped the sales of 1911's in that caliber. Many mexicans would buy and probably still do buy guns here in the USA and transport them one way or another to the south side of the border.
    The .38 supper has a good reputation down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Fork View Post
    I have now 2 Glocks in 357 Sig, 1 is with the SI face shooter kit and the other is a 40 sw with the face shooter kit, SI PDW and a extended SI 357 barrel barrel that I got on clearance from SI. What factory ammo would y'all recommend for practice and defense?
    Thanks
    I carried a G31 and a G33 for several years. I mostly used CCI Lawman and Remington UMC practice ammo and both worked fine. The UMC was actually just a little more accurate than the CCI but that was also 20 years ago and it could be just a matter of comparing those 2 particular case lots of ammo as I bought them both by the case. I would occasionally run the CorBon 115 HP but I pretty well standardized on the CCI Gold Dot because you could find it more places and that was what all the police depts that used 357Sig seemed to be going to. I still will carry it once every blue moon and the CCI Gold Dot is still what I use.
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

When the department switched over to the SIG-229 series it was in the 357sig, we went back and forth over loads for a year or so and settled on the 147 grain Winchester, now this was right after the Sig's where rolling out, and we had talked with Delaware State Troopers to see what they where using and how it was running . SIG was pushing the 125 load, kept telling us how it was as good as the 357 mag . but we all know that load was harder used by PD's it was the 125 38spl most used.

FOr us due to the area we worked, docks, ships and the container fields, the 147 made more sense carried more steam into hard objects. We always where looking for a load closer to the BP's 40 load with the 135 grain jhp
    All animals except man know that the ultimate of life is to enjoy it.

Samuel Butler

FACIEM TUAM, DOMINC, REQUIRAM