Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This is an excellent topic. One that is relevant both at work as well as in personal relationships.

I think there are a lot of people that recognize this issue and police themselves in the professional environment, but not so much in their personal environment.

It's a human nature thing and something we all need to keep in mind.

Bad moods are like bad breath. I get in bad moods sometimes, there's lots of stuff I don't feel like doing and people I don't feel like talking to. But just like brushing my teeth, I do my best not to expose people to my bad moods. We have a lot of control over that.

This gets into another realm - happiness. I think happiness is considered a shallow pursuit by many, but I disagree. Happy people are usually easier to be around. Happy people don't fly airplanes into buildings or throw little kids off balconies. Happy people don't expose everyone else to habitual negativity. Happy people do make the world better...when you are happy (or at least act happy), you make other people happy as well. Some people do need to be shot in the face, but many others in your life deserve to be lifted up.

Bringing a smile to someone else's face might be a sappy platitude, but it can change lives. It improves friendships, and it is necessary for intimate relationships. It does make your little piece of the world brighter.

And bringing this back around...happy people tend not to be habitual complainers. And I know from personal experience I've influenced some to put a limit on their complaining habits.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Advanced Close Range Gunfighting - Nov 2-3 Mapleton, OR

From an online daily devotional today:

Daily Devotional April 30, 2019
    Are You a Grumbler?

And all the people of Israel grumbled.
    Numbers 14:2

Synchronicity aside, we used to call people in my trade who bitched a lot and did nothing "hairbags."

LE is a hybrid of the models mentioned above. And because LE careers in small to medium agencies involve long-term interaction with the same cast of characters, some pretty ugly stuff can arise, from ducking priority calls to malicious gossip that would make high schoolers blush. The best practice is to find work to do.

No one would accuse me of sainthood. I have a memory and a mirror. As I get older I realize more and more that vigorous and effective action does not excuse emotional demonstration. Nobody cares if your anger is righteous.

And no matter how justified your complaints may be, the job needs to be done, and done right.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 1, 17. And a wakeup.

I remember the saying "A Marine is not happy unless they are bitching".

I like to think I am normally a pretty positive guy. At my old job my IT group would laugh a lot to over come the shitty stuff. I think there are things you can do nothing about or very little and you may bitch and move on. Then there are things you can do something about. You may bitch or have constructive criticism, but you come up with a solution or get with a group to brain storm and come up with a solution.

My new job I have control over most things or can make changes as need be. I hear a lot of bitching from the fire fighters about computers. Depending what it is like say Win10 I empathies with them and then show them some tips and tricks to make their life easier. If it is security I explain it is not really their info, but the access into the system. It has been received very well. I feel very lucky as my boss believes in doing it right the first time, so we spend money wisely and don't just get the cheapest thing out there. I see many things that need to be corrected here, but that is a work in progress.

I think anytime you bitch about something you should try and come up with some type of solution.
    Common sense is not a common virtue!

The military has to be separated from the civilian world in this sense. I almost feel like soldierly complaining is like a pressure release valve. Everyone still does their assigned task in a timely manner but the complaining is totally a different animal than the civilian world. In the law enforcement world complaining is pure cancer. Because unlike the military cops will let bad morale get the best of them quickly. They start ignoring calls, and looking to bus roll colleagues. If a complaint is legitimate, make a plan and execute.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavySmoke View Post
    The military has to be separated from the civilian world in this sense. I almost feel like soldierly complaining is like a pressure release valve. Everyone still does their assigned task in a timely manner but the complaining is totally a different animal than the civilian world. In the law enforcement world complaining is pure cancer. Because unlike the military cops will let bad morale get the best of them quickly.They start ignoring calls, and looking to bus roll colleagues. If a complaint is legitimate, make a plan and execute.
    This is very much the same in the military. And while I was pretty jaded near the end of my time I made it a strong point to never complain in front of people whose career could be affected by hearing it. I had a bad attitude but I made damn sure that it never affected those around me.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

One of my quotes I coined while working
    my day job several years ago.

There are plenty of people on this
    planet, who are simply not happy.
    And I have realized its not my job
    to make them that way.
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby
    "Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth"- Oscar Wilde.

Mr. Yamamoto wrote "However, I think as you mature, you put away childish things."
    1st Corinthians 13:11 ... one of my favorites.

Also, Mr. Yamamoto, may I make a suggestion for and edit? You wrote " happy people tend not to be habitual complainers." May I suggest the use of the word "content" instead of happy. Happiness can be quite temporary, yet contentment can be a much more enduring condition.
    Last edited by redneckranger; 05-19-2019 at 09:41 AM.
    There is no security in life, only varying degrees of risk. Gen. Douglas MacArthur