Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TSS shot

Default TSS shot

Anyone looked at the TSS shot for shooting bad guys? This is tungsten shot that increases the weight of pellets to get penetration.

Hunters are using #2 shot to kill deer at 40 yards. Increased pattern density with penetration. Seems to be very expensive but might be a viable option.

For now iíll Be sticking with 00 buck

I was not aware that the tungsten loads were available in anything larger than turkey loads. Also, #2 shot (.15 caliber) is not the same as #2 buck (.27 caliber).
    "Public employee unions are an inherently seditious construct"
    "If you see something, say something... so we can call you a racist!"
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post
    Anyone looked at the TSS shot for shooting bad guys? This is tungsten shot that increases the weight of pellets to get penetration.

Hunters are using #2 shot to kill deer at 40 yards. Increased pattern density with penetration. Seems to be very expensive but might be a viable option.

For now iíll Be sticking with 00 buck
    Can you give details on this use of #2 to kill deer. What is rebound like; that is, is tungsten more likely upon striking a hard surface to bounce back in the direction of the shooter. Steel does more than does lead and i do not know what tungsten is like.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

No real details, but here is a link to an article where a guy claims to have killed a doe at 40 yards with #2 bird shot with the pellets going all the way through. He also claims to have killed hogs from 15 - 45 yards.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/...nd/1016614001/

Just so y'all know, tungsten and bismuth shot compounds were introduced because of many locales banning the use of lead shot for waterfowl hunting. Those two just happen to have the useable weight:density ratio to work for the purpose. But I am curious why bother reinventing the wheel away from plain old 00 buck? Are we having an overpenetration conversation? Single "ought" or 0 buck would have a bit more pattern density with hopefully similar killing power to 00. But it just seems an exercise in spending money for no reason trying to replace 00. I've never shot any bipeds with it but I've seen what it does to deer and I see no valid reason to search for a replacement. Try a few brands or product lines in your hammer and see what it likes best and lay in a decent supply.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Yea, I’m not getting rid of my 00 buckshot. Would be cool to have the pattern density of smaller shot size if you could also get penetration.

My favorite deer or anti personnel load is number 1 buck. A 2 3/4 load carries 16 thirty caliber pellets. Nice dense patterns with excellent penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post
    No real details, but here is a link to an article where a guy claims to have killed a doe at 40 yards with #2 bird shot with the pellets going all the way through. He also claims to have killed hogs from 15 - 45 yards.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/...nd/1016614001/
    OK I looked up Apex Ammunition and what they say
    Recommendation:

Coyotes: 4's

Deer: 2's

Hogs: 50 lbs -150lbs: BB's or 2's 150 lbs +: BB's

*Apex is committed to customer service. Please be aware that prices may vary due to market fluctuations, and that we do not offer refunds or returns on ammunition. Call or email us if you need assistance in determining the best ammunition for your specific concerns.

PLEASE EXPECT DELIVERY UP TO 7-10 DAYS FROM YOUR ORDER DATE.
    What I do not understand is why not just offer the tungsten in larger buckshot sizes. My guess it is because it is not made larger than bb size from their oversea sources.
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

On a different line of thought. I sure would not care to bite down on a piece of tunsten shot that was embedded in a cooked portion of venison.

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    OK I looked up Apex Ammunition and what they say

What I do not understand is why not just offer the tungsten in larger buckshot sizes. My guess it is because it is not made larger than bb size from their oversea sources.
    Tungsten is $20 a pound vs less than a dollar a pound for lead. How much demand is there going to be for $10 a shell buckshot? Global supply is of tungsten is pretty limited, also. If demand were to go up significantly due to ammunition sales, the price would go up a lot. I looked it up and global production of tungsten is less than 100,000 tons a year. I also looked up the amount of lead American's consume in ammunition sales per year and and the source I found stated almost 100,000 tons.
    Last edited by kabar; 04-30-2019 at 06:33 PM.
    "Public employee unions are an inherently seditious construct"
    "If you see something, say something... so we can call you a racist!"
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!