Default Obsevations- trends, stupidity, and silliness

Went to the range at work today and observed some things.

1. We can pretty much carry anything we want at this point as long as its 9mm, 10mm, .357 sig, .40, or .45 ACP. This is not always a good thing.

2. The SIG 320 seems to be the cool guy pistol around here right now. The justification being that of it's good enough for the Army ots good enough for them. Well obviously they weren't in the Army at all. If big army likes something that usually is points for the negative column for me.

3. I was literally the only person out there that even brought a shotgun, and I'm pretty sure they made jokes about me for it behind my back. Cops/deputies dont learn shit about ballistics in the academy.

4. I'm now convinced the academy now teaches a class on accessorizing ARs with silly shit. Maybe someone who has been then more recently can confirm that for me.

Back to handguns.
    5. I did not see a single person using a .40.

6. The 10mm is gaining popularity and I'm ok with that, I'm just not sure how suited it is for law enforcement work outside of game wardens. It seems to me you would have to be extremely careful with ammo selection.

7. For the first time in my tenure here Glocks did not make up the majority of weapons. There were more glocks than any other brand but Glocks only made up about 30 percent of handguns out today. XDMs, Sigs, HKs, Smith and Wessons, and a Beretta APX made up the rest. The Glocks varied in caliber, one XDM was a 10mm and everything else was 9mm.

These are just observations not gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavySmoke View Post
    Went to the range at work today and observed some things.

1. We can pretty much carry anything we want at this point as long as its 9mm, 10mm, .357 sig, .40, or .45 ACP. This is not always a good thing.

2. The SIG 320 seems to be the cool guy pistol around here right now. The justification being that of it's good enough for the Army ots good enough for them. Well obviously they weren't in the Army at all. If big army likes something that usually is points for the negative column for me.

3. I was literally the only person out there that even brought a shotgun, and I'm pretty sure they made jokes about me for it behind my back. Cops/deputies dont learn shit about ballistics in the academy.

4. I'm now convinced the academy now teaches a class on accessorizing ARs with silly shit. Maybe someone who has been then more recently can confirm that for me.

Back to handguns.
    5. I did not see a single person using a .40.

6. The 10mm is gaining popularity and I'm ok with that, I'm just not sure how suited it is for law enforcement work outside of game wardens. It seems to me you would have to be extremely careful with ammo selection.

7. For the first time in my tenure here Glocks did not make up the majority of weapons. There were more glocks than any other brand but Glocks only made up about 30 percent of handguns out today. XDMs, Sigs, HKs, Smith and Wessons, and a Beretta APX made up the rest. The Glocks varied in caliber, one XDM was a 10mm and everything else was 9mm.

These are just observations not gospel.
    I'm old enough to have seen enough "trends" in the LEO community that I firmly believe the majority of LEOs get their gun knowledge from whatever gun rag magazine they read. Given that so many of the writers have LEO/military backgrounds, they take that crap (newest, hottest, & "bestest") for gospel. Truth is, much of what is in those mags is there to push their advertisers' products.

As for pimping out ARs, it's monkey see, monkey do. They see pictures of the HS-LD Spec OPs crowd with "tarted up" shooters and TV shows like SEALs, etc. and it's, "Ooh, so pretty. I want."

But then, what do I know? I'm just a "dinosaur" that has carried the same model 9mm (FN made) SA pistol for 5 decades now.

Gee, I wonder what pistol that could be?

If I were permitted to carry a shotgun on duty I would. It's idiotic to issue only an AR to a deputy working 12s in a rural area.

As far as being a dinosaur, you're not alone. Sobering to realize I bought my first 226 in the mid-80s, and my first Glock, a G19, in 1988. That's as far back as I care to go this morning, on my first cuppa joe.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 2, 15. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Gee, I wonder what pistol that could be?

If I were permitted to carry a shotgun on duty I would. It's idiotic to issue only an AR to a deputy working 12s in a rural area.

As far as being a dinosaur, you're not alone. Sobering to realize I bought my first 226 in the mid-80s, and my first Glock, a G19, in 1988. That's as far back as I care to go this morning, on my first cuppa joe.
    We can carry a personally owned shotgun, but they arent issued anymore. I'm the only one on my shift that does, I think a couple of night shift guys do, or at least did when I was working nights.

Heck, I remember when we couldn't carry rifles at all, and only had shotguns. And that was in Wyoming.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavySmoke View Post
    We can carry a personally owned shotgun, but they arent issued anymore. I'm the only one on my shift that does, I think a couple of night shift guys do, or at least did when I was working nights.
    Once you shoot someone with it they probably will too....

A guy who used to post here had a sig line:

"Nothing says FU like a shotgun."

Choirboy

Quote Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
    A guy who used to post here had a sig line:

"Nothing says FU like a shotgun."

Choirboy
    How about that....
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....