Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default BEARS REVIEW - FEAR AGGRESSION

JUSTIFIED KILLING 101: FEAR AGGRESSION IN GUNFIGHTING

Thursday, April 06, 2017

Continuing with our "Justified Killing 101" series I want to discuss a topic we see with dogs, but has rarely been ever used to describe humans in conflict. That is Fear Aggression. Look at the two images above. Before reading the rest of the article look at them and see the differences in demeanor, posture, emotion, as well as the outward manifestation of those emotions.

On the left we see a small dog baring his teeth.
    If a picture could have sound you could almost hear the little growl coming from the little throat rolling into a full blow little bark. The little dog is afraid and if he was a human, we would say he was emotional, angry, and loudly acting out those emotions. A fear aggressive dog is dangerous because he is unpredictable and uncontrollable and his fear will lead him to bite even if biting is not what is called for...and even then, those bites will be applied hesitantly and poorly.

On the right we see a wolf on the stalk.
    Look at the image again. There is no fear in the wolf, no emotional arousal, no anger nor hate. There is no snarling or growling. In fact, if there is any emotion involved it is contained as any show of emotion would compromise his objective. If he was a human we would say that the wolf is poised for action. He is calm, but sprung for action. Something is about to happen and the wolf is making it happen. When the wolf bites, it is deep, concentrated and focused.

Now lets shift the discussion to humans.
    I said in the first installment of this discussion that a vast number of gunmen (a collective term I plan on using to describe good men and women who carry weapons ostensibly to fight evil gunmen) are fear-aggressive trained. In other words they are trained to be the little dog on the left rather than the wolf on the right.

From the first article:

"I think the majority of LE guys and armed CCW guys today are raised in fear. They are afraid of everything and are in essence "fear aggressive" when faced with danger. And that being the case, they are terrified always.

You see that in the various videos where the officer is heard screaming for several seconds...often unintelligibly before shooting. It is as if they are trying to talk the killer into not getting shot even if that is what is clearly required at the time.
    "

I think they are trained to be Fear-Aggressive because that is what those who trained them knew best.
    One generally teaches what one knows and understands. The attitude that is most desirable is not the snarling little fear-biter with the emotionally-driven outburst of words, and often bullets. Fear-aggression often leads to fear-shooting. And fear-shooting is rarely clean or well done shooting. The attitude that is more desirable is the Predator Mindset.

The Predator does not show emotional arousal, or anger.
    The Predator does not yell or posture and does not develop a relationship to or with his adversary. He has a cool-minded determination to overcome and defeat the adversary. The adversary is in fact, nothing more than a target. The predator has a situational awareness and is planning his positioning and maneuver to take advantage of the environment at the time he launches his action. The exchange is not a give and take as would be seen in a sparring match or a sporting event. He moves decisively and with finality. He has already decided to kill the adversary and is merely waiting for the visual or audible signal to launch. There is nothing defensive about him once the signal has been recognized.
    There are many gunmen that cannot let go of the fear-aggressive model they have been trained and indoctrinated in. They will say that we cannot be predators and that the laws say this or say that. Actually, they and their trainers, are wrong. There is a difference in creating an event, and reacting to an event presented to you. Once the event has been presented to you vis-a-vis the actions of the adversary, you are free to do as you wish. The key and important thing here is the recognition of the unfolding event.

The Fear-Aggressive will see these events far differently than the Predator. That is the key to success and what we will discuss next time.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

What might be a good example of this is officer #3 in this video. Compare the 3 officers demeanor. Officer 1 rolls up fires 1 controlled shot. Officer 2 rolls up and puts 5 through the windshield. Officer 3 is firing at cyclic rate while running and screaming (notice the pitch of his voice) at the suspect.

Last edited by Gabriel Suarez; 04-18-2019 at 07:10 AM.
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

Holy smoke! Did he hit the offender at all while endangering every other LEO onscene?

At least he was running toward the fight. Just STFU!
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 2, 16. And a wakeup.

Yeah all those bullets have to stop somewhere...probably in some of those houses down the street.....

From what I understand the detective (that does not have a body cam on) that made contact first and called in the location actually hit the suspect first. I'm not sure who else (if anyone) actually hit the suspect.
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

Great video.

Another pernicious aspect of this is reinforced by trainers who emphasize "I was in fear for my life" as the trump-card justification for use of deadly force, even to the point where I've heard multiple times "you should piss your pants if you shoot someone because that will prove that you were in fear for your life."

Do these people not even have the sense to be ashamed of themselves?
    Armed Puritan

Getting back to the dog. The fact that it growls and barks is a communication to its foe or what ever threatened it to back off. Some frightened people will do this. Their fear may eventually overcome their reluctance to attack and also growling will help build up their resolve to attack. Some pit bulls of the game tested type (Means they will not give up, even when losing) are said to give no warning at all relative to a snarl or bark, just go forward to attack. They made the decision and see no reason warn the foe. They attack out of sheer aggression and desire to kill and fear is not at all part of the equation. The well bred sheep dog attacks out of a strong in bred internal urge to defend territory and his pack that include sheep and other members of his pack. A good sheepdog does not attack out of fear, but out of obligation and will fight even when the odds are not in his favor.

Wolves and coyotes generally attack when they have assessed the situation and are reasonably sure they will prevail. They have quickly reviewed the likely outcomes prior to the attack. If cornered of course they will fight back regardless. Wolverines are said not care or consider outcomes and are known to attack animals 10 times their size.

A person that attacks without warning is sometimes considered to be unstable. Perhaps verbal warnings should be discussed for humans. When should you give them and when should one just shoot, stab, or punch without a verbal warning versus when there should be warnings given. Some give warning out of what they feel is a social, moral, or legal obligation to do so.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by TFA303 View Post
    Great video.

Another pernicious aspect of this is reinforced by trainers who emphasize "I was in fear for my life" as the trump-card justification for use of deadly force, even to the point where I've heard multiple times "you should piss your pants if you shoot someone because that will prove that you were in fear for your life."

Do these people not even have the sense to be ashamed of themselves?
    I can proudly say I never played that card. Not only is it not necessary, but won't yield what its advocates think it will either.
    Gabriel Suarez

Looking an adversary in the eye and calmly saying, "Back off or I will kill you where you stand", and meaning it, is not the same as what we see in the video or elsewhere. What we see are empassioned, emotional outbursts or fear and trepidation almost begging the enemy to stand down so they are not forced against every fiber of their being to visit harm on another. Barely controlled emotion leading to excessive violence that is barely controlled

Attacking without warning is perfectly acceptable if given sufficient justification. And if you study the Flowchart, it becomes very clear that the entire warn them bullshit is just that. If you are certain, no need to say anything at all. When you are not sure is when this issue is something to think about. Me...I never said a word to the dudes I shot because I didn't need to. Clarity here is of the utmost importance.

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    Getting back to the dog. The fact that it growls and barks is a communication to its foe or what ever threatened it to back off. Some frightened people will do this. Their fear may eventually overcome their reluctance to attack and also growling will help build up their resolve to attack. Some pit bulls of the game tested type (Means they will not give up, even when losing) are said to give no warning at all relative to a snarl or bark, just go forward to attack. They made the decision and see no reason warn the foe. They attack out of sheer aggression and desire to kill and fear is not at all part of the equation. The well bred sheep dog attacks out of a strong in bred internal urge to defend territory and his pack that include sheep and other members of his pack. A good sheepdog does not attack out of fear, but out of obligation and will fight even when the odds are not in his favor.

Wolves and coyotes generally attack when they have assessed the situation and are reasonably sure they will prevail. They have quickly reviewed the likely outcomes prior to the attack. If cornered of course they will fight back regardless. Wolverines are said not care or consider outcomes and are known to attack animals 10 times their size.

A person that attacks without warning is sometimes considered to be unstable. Perhaps verbal warnings should be discussed for humans. When should you give them and when should one just shoot, stab, or punch without a verbal warning versus when there should be warnings given. Some give warning out of what they feel is a social, moral, or legal obligation to do so.
    Gabriel Suarez

Shannon Hogan is offline Suarez International Affiliate - Salt Lake City
    Love the mind set of shooting through the windshield. Not sure how accurate the hits were. I'm sure the officer's supervisor may have had something to say about it afterwards.
    fulminis instar "Like thunderbolts, fast as lightning."
    Hogan Clan motto.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon Hogan View Post
    Love the mind set of shooting through the windshield. Not sure how accurate the hits were. I'm sure the officer's supervisor may have had something to say about it afterwards.
    Wonder how much powdered and splintered glass came back at him.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 2, 16. And a wakeup.