Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    So for a near-60 dude, I think I have a fairly muscular chest. I have not done bench since like 2005. But I do dips. Sometimes bodyweight for ten sets of 25 (the muscle pump on that keeps me from even wiping my face afterwards). I also do floor presses close grip which hist chest with emphasis on triceps.

I love sumo deadlifts and have pulled 455 off the deck. I normally work with three to five sets of near 400. I can feel it the next day from my traps to my calves. I think it is the best back chain lift.

I was at 350 for squats at one time and left nothing in my quads. My leverages make it a back chain lift just like deads. I can't do front squats due to shoulder issues. I bought a hack squat attachment for my gym and now do land mine hack squats and it is the best quad exercise I have ever done. That and sissy squats.

Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

For all the non benchers, what about weighted pushups? Chains work best, then bands, then actual weight. I do well with dumbbells in bench variations but have decided at mid 40’s, hoisting up heavy dumbbells is stupid. 50 lbs is as much as I will hoist, and I know how to use my knees to get them into rack position. The risk isn’t worth reward past 50 lbs for any press or row for me.

Quote Originally Posted by twinboysdad View Post
    I do well with dumbbells in bench variations but have decided at mid 40’s, hoisting up heavy dumbbells is stupid. 50 lbs is as much as I will hoist, and I know how to use my knees to get them into rack position. The risk isn’t worth reward past 50 lbs for any press or row for me.
    Just curious why are dumbbells a bad thing?

I'm WAY over 40 and do heavy dumbbells regularly, I do them to avoid bench press, it allows me many variations of hand positions, depth and such.

I've never had any problems with dumbbells, barbell benches, yes, but never dumbbells.

Quote Originally Posted by Forklift View Post

I'm WAY over 40 and do heavy dumbbells regularly, I do them to avoid bench press, it allows me many variations of hand positions, depth and such.

I've never had any problems with dumbbells, barbell benches, yes, but never dumbbells.
    Ya, I prefer dumbells over barbells. They get so many more ancillary muscles
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Ya, I prefer dumbells over barbells. They get so many more ancillary muscles
    I agree, that's exactly why I use them.

Just ordered 4 100lb plates from Rouge. When they get here I plan to set up my Trap Bar with two of them for weekly Farmer's Carries and have the other two on my dead lift bar. That way I don't have to start from Zero every dead lift day. I don't bench but I do a lot of dips and overhead pressing. Switching from back to front squats and trap bad DLs to conventional.

I'm a firm believer in making exercise as convenient as possible, hate going to a public gym. I keep adding to my home gym piece by piece and have everything I need, now in want territory.
    “Every day the same thing...variety”

Quote Originally Posted by Forklift View Post

I prefer them too, but it’s the getting them into position that is the issue. I can get all I personally need from 50 lb dumbbells without risk of a set up injury. That’s me though

Quote Originally Posted by twinboysdad View Post
    I prefer them too, but it’s the getting them into position that is the issue. I can get all I personally need from 50 lb dumbbells without risk of a set up injury. That’s me though
    I hammer curl 85s, so getting dumbbells into position for a press isn't a big deal
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

I met Odd Haugen over the weekend at an arm-wrestling/strongman event. For a man of 69 he is very impressive and seiously strong. I think there is something to be said for being strong in multiple movements other than just training the big three.
    Crush your enemies...

My big 3: squats, weighted dips, pulldowns/pullups.