Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default does YOUR Big 3 need to be THE Big 3

https://www.t-nation.com/training/th...n-powerlifters

rather thought provoking. The author is a tall and long limbed guy, like myself, and has many articles about how to better leverages for tall guys. It does raise the question, is there a lift I should replace in my personal big 3 due to injury, goals, needs? If you don’t actually compete in PL, the question is fair. I know Gabe prefers dips to bench, and I don’t disagree. I’ve always liked front squats better and also have a weird attraction to the high pull. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by twinboysdad; 04-11-2019 at 06:41 AM.

I confess I hate dips, 'cause they hurt my shoulder like hell. The rest makes sense, especially the neutral grip pullups, and I'll work more of them in. There's nothing like hearing, and feeling, the bones in the shoulder sliding over each other in that last rep on a conventional pullup.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 1, 13. And a wakeup.

And in your case, dips would be a no go. I wonder if OHP could sub for bench?

I like the idea, as a no longer competing PL, I do like the idea of some non big 3 lifts. I've substituted OHP for bench for the most part, and have been loving it, at almost 61 I'm stronger in a few lifts than I was 20 years ago, but I do have to admit the bench still calls to me.

No Bench or OHP for me. My Big Ones are Dips, Bent Row, Hack Squats, and Sumo Deadlifts.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I agree that unless you're competing in powerlifting (and not just casually), you don't need to be doing a program that nothing but powerlifting movements. Trap bar deadlift is great for most people.

That said, I LOVE bench, overhead press, and conventional, double-overhand deadlift. Squats are love/hate. Front squats, I hate. But I do them.

I treat pullups (and chinups and neutral-grip pullups) and weighted pullups as a main lift.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I treat pullups (and chinups and neutral-grip pullups) and weighted pullups as a main lift.
    I've never really gotten why most people don't think of chinups and pullups as major lifts. And I sure wish I'd started doing neutral-grip chins a lot sooner than I actually did.

Is there value in training upper body push-pull in both horizontal and vertical planes? That is to say, bench/dips *and* OHP, chins/pullups *and* bent rows?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstore Commando View Post

Is there value in training upper body push-pull in both horizontal and vertical planes? That is to say, bench/dips *and* OHP, chins/pullups *and* bent rows?
    Yes; I think you should always have some sort of rowing movement in your programming, and not just rely on pullups.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Yes; I think you should always have some sort of rowing movement in your programming, and not just rely on pullups.
    Thank you.

That's another exercise that seems like it should be considered a major lift, not sure why most people don't feel that way.

Like Gabe, my shoulders are shot so standard bench hurts and I don't do much of it and when I do it's light. OHO is not going to work either but I find that decline bench doesn't hit the same range of motion in my shoulders and I can move a significant amount of weight that way. I tend to do light to medium weight dumbbell press incline, decline, and standard, I do the same with cable flys in drop sets to work chest and close hand landmines. So I would say that decline would be one of my Big 3.

I'm getting issues with my rebuilt hip and have gotten away from heavy squats and replaced it with leg press and isolation machines. Every single rep hurts and it takes me more mental energy and time to prepare for the pain of each set than to actually recover from big weight on the press.

Rack pulls and bent over rows are where I can really move weight, I've de-loaded my deads due to fighting my hip issues and tend more to just repping 225 or so and have recently added hip thrusts to help strengthen the support muscles around my pelvis.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities