Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Iíve got a dedicated CMMG upper. The current one has a 9Ē barrel. I previously had one with a 4.5Ē barrel, that now resides with my brother. Both shoot well. Other than the bolt release issue that was mentioned above, it runs just like a 5.56.

While I like the similarity for training purposes, I do think Iím going to put a KNS end plate on the receiver and attach a MCX side-folder. Because the reciprocating bolt is contained entirely within the upper receiver, this is a possibility.

While I like my CMMG, and would choose it all over again, I concede that the S&W M&P 15-22 is a better buy. It just doesnít allow you to customize the gun quite as much.

Black Dog mags are great. And Iíve had superb results with CCI AR Tactical ammo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by psalms23dad View Post
    I just bought a M&P 15-22 and set it up like my rifle.
    Cost is higher but I've seen such mixed reviews with the conversion I wasn't interested in trying one.
    I know you didn't ask about these but my brother has the M&P 15/22 and it's been great. Shoots Remington golden bullet HP's pretty tight at 25 yards at the range in Palmer we shot it. It's my plan to start my boys on these when they want AR's. It uses 25 round mags and his ran flawless through a couple hundred rounds that day. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Payne View Post
    My upper is a dedicated CMMG 22lr upper, not a conversion. When I used a conversion it was with an unlined 1/9 twist 16" barrel.
    Interesting... Mine is a chrome lined 1/9... I will have to try again and make sure I am using the CCI Minimag and not the other "stuff" I have laying around...

I had parts laying around, so put together a 10.5" pistol upper with CMMG conversion, and a mix of their mags and Black Dogs and we've not had keyholing or leading issues with Mini-mags. I haven't run any 5.56 through her to clean out the gas port.

Is there a point where it will be too late to 'blow out' the gas port? I hadn't thought of ever using it as a 5.56, but I guess I should have it ready as another upper, better to have and not need rather than need and not have.

Daughter's MP22 rifle runs great with the same ammo, and we've run her's out to 50 yards
    For among other evils caused by being disarmed, it renders you contemptible; which is one of those disgraceful things which one must guard against"
    Niccolo Machiavelli

ďNobody trusts anyone, or why did they put tilt on a pinball machine.Ē
    Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    I’ve got a dedicated CMMG upper. The current one has a 9” barrel. I previously had one with a 4.5” barrel, that now resides with my brother. Both shoot well. Other than the bolt release issue that was mentioned above, it runs just like a 5.56.

While I like my CMMG, and would choose it all over again, I concede that the S&W M&P 15-22 is a better buy. It just doesn’t allow you to customize the gun quite as much.

Good to know. My lazily written post was only describing the WaltHKer. I assumed the CMMG had a functional bolt release.

What customization does the CMMG allow that the S&W doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by khadga View Post
    What customization does the CMMG allow that the S&W doesn't?
    The CMMG barrel mates up to any standard AR15 upper and will take whatever barrel nut, whereas S&W uses their own proprietary barrel and barrel nut. So handguard options wonít be as broad with the S&W. The older S&W had a fixed front sight base, despite the lack of a gas port. I believe the newer ones did away with this, but I havenít seen them yet. The M&P 15-22 still offers 90% of the customization of the AR15, but if you want true 100% compatibility, the CMMG offers it (at a slight premium). Iíd check into triggers, too, if you plan to go that route. I believe some of the 15-22s had fitting issues with aftermarket triggers, but Iím not certain of that.

Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    The CMMG barrel mates up to any standard AR15 upper and will take whatever barrel nut, whereas S&W uses their own proprietary barrel and barrel nut. So handguard options won’t be as broad with the S&W. The older S&W had a fixed front sight base, despite the lack of a gas port. I believe the newer ones did away with this, but I haven’t seen them yet. The M&P 15-22 still offers 90% of the customization of the AR15, but if you want true 100% compatibility, the CMMG offers it (at a slight premium). I’d check into triggers, too, if you plan to go that route. I believe some of the 15-22s had fitting issues with aftermarket triggers, but I’m not certain of that.

Thanks, LawDog.

FWIW - I think that most "jacketed" 22LR ammo is more really "washed around" in some metal powder and it somewhat coats the lead. Its not a separate jacket like typical larger CF ammo. I think that is why leading is a bit more of an issue with 22LR versus normal 5.56.

I'm partial to Winchester Super X for the best combo of reliability and accuracy in most of my semi-autos. That said, none of these are AR conversions. I've been reading this with interest.

Another M&P 15-22 here.
    KRG-1: Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting
    HRO-5: Terrorist and Active Shooter Interdiction
    CRG-4: Force On Force Gunfighting
    CRG-5: Zero To Five Feet Gunfighting
    Red Dot Combat Pistol School
    HRO-6/HRO-7: CQB-Fighting in Structures/Team Tactics, Urban Warfare Weekend

TWOTU since 2016