Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    JUST THINKING OUT LOUD...

But I wonder if this paradigm shift from warrior to guardian...from a crime fighter to a community service officer, is a contributor to why so many are getting killed by bad guys in the past few years...
    That and too much emphasis being placed on "non-lethal" weapons rather than a better understanding of lethal force encounters. Many departments pushed non-lethal to an extreme point and are now having to play "catch-up" because their officers are not shooting in lethal encounters, but are trying to tase their way out of one. Many are simply afraid now once the non-lethal doesn't work. There isn't enough teaching on the fact that a situation can go lethal in a second versus their having to climb their way through the ladder of escalation.

But I wonder if this paradigm shift from warrior to guardian...from a crime fighter to a community service officer, is a contributor to why so many are getting killed by bad guys in the past few years...
    I think so, you want warriors you hire warriors and let them do what they are good at.....

likely. I'd prefer Punisher, Judge Dredd (not the Stalone version), or the old TX Rangers before they were first disbanded in the 30's under Gov. Ma Ferguson.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

I think the downfall of western civilization will be that we became to "civilized".
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Possibly. One is inherently proactive, one reactive. Waiting for something to happen and hoping you come out on top leaves one behind the proverbial eight ball.

Rot at the center expands outward and infects everything.

At the center of everything is our values. Our values as individuals, our values as a tribe, our values as a larger culture.

Individuals here value self-reliance, independence, liberty, strength, capability, just to name a relevant few. We place God and family at the center of our value system...and that shapes and informs all our values that form the core of who we are and what we stand for. As a tribe, if we were all to document those values we hold most dear, I'd guess all our top ten lists would mesh very closely.

Just as there have always been people who uphold that which is right and good, there have always been shitbags. Our country was never perfect, but it has been GOOD and a positive influence in the world. There have always been shitbags though, and it seems the percentage has been increasing. Certainly the roots of their work have born ill fruit and we see constant examples of it. Just one example is at the heart of this thread.

It is not just a lack of respect and value for the warrior ethos. It is a loss of sight of manly virtue (the howls of scorn one can imagine if that phrase was mentioned in Manhattan). It's a loss of recognition that the fire inside, the wolf rising in the heart, is one of the things that keeps our civilization alive.

There's something else deeper here as well.

We must keep that wolf on it's chain as well as know when to let it loose. The cop has to know when to be the warrior, and when to be the peace officer. Because both ARE appropriate...the key is recognizing WHEN. We are fathers, brothers, friends, husbands...we are tender and caring when it's appropriate. And we are capable of flipping that switch and burning down the world when it's necessary.

I don't think it's that complicated, and I think most here get it. But I think our culture is losing it's ability to recognize that basic idea. There's too much all or nothing mentality. Too much lamb and not enough lion.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Advanced Close Range Gunfighting - Nov 2-3 Mapleton, OR

I've long thought that a gentleman needed three characteristics. Courtesy, Integrity, and Lethality. Kindness and good manners are necessary, but not sufficient. Honesty of word and deed is necessary, but not sufficient. A gentleman can and will kill you stone dead at the drop of a pin.

In general, it is. In specific, we teach anchor shots for some things. So ya gotta consider the details.

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
    In general, it is. In specific, we teach anchor shots for some things. So ya gotta consider the details.
    I suspect those who will be in a position to place those shots have not bought into the guardian rhetoric. As you know...there are always a few...
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I have always being interested in weapons and fighting in one form or another.

As a kid my first heroes were the cowboys of the television series and the only gifts I wanted for my birthdays and Christmas was toy-guns that looked like those of my heroes. I also knew who all the great boxers were and were fascinated by the story of how Ken Norton broke Ali`s jaw and how Ali continued to fight for 7 more rounds, before losing on points.

Then one day I saw the hero Buck Rogers throw the bad guy with a Judo throw and I was hooked on Martial Fighting from that day on. Bruce Lee was my new hero and I had his posters all over my bedroom wall and learned all I could about Martial Fighting.

This 'obsession' continued right through high-school and when I started training in Karate in 1996. In almost 20 years my passion and love for Martial fighting never wavered and I always gave.c 200 percent when I walked through the Dojo doors.

Along the I read about the SAS and got interested in the military side of things.

I also try and talk my way onto a shooting range every chance I and always have a great day shooting.

Once I got online and read about Cooper, Fairburn and Combatives t peeked my interest further into all things military.

I discovered Warriortalk around 2004. I visit the forum daily and always click on new topics and enjoy reading all the threads.

The only answer that I can come up with to explain what drew me to things relating to fighting and weapons in the first place, what I call my passion and other people my obsession, is that it found me. I had no family member on either side that inspired me to take up Karate or even friends that shared my interest.

And it is still true even today where the only like minded individuals I can find is on the forum.

That`s why I believe that if I was born at another time or place I would have found myself on horseback with a rifle under my right leg, settling my piece of Africa. Or answering the call to defend my country`s right for independence from England.

Fighting and weapons having found me

OSSU
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR