Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default RAIDING, PILLAGING, AND THE LIKE

In my thread on Lambs and Lions, the inevitable and unfortunate wolf v sheepdog analogy came up again. I wish I could go back in time and throat punch the guy that first came up with the sheepdog term as I despise it. I was hoping "Lion" would replace it but perhaps that is too ambitious. But let's leave the animal bunny trail and discuss more important matters.

In my discussion, one gent noted there would always be predators. See his post here

A snippet below -

Somewhere in the Altai Mountains.
    Below is a picture of some sort of re-enactment by people that think Genghis Khan was the greatest man ever. I bet they would love to be able ride, pillage, and rape through whole continents again as their ancestors once did.
    For sure there is no shortage of wolves and would be wolves in the world

I think it is common and unfortunate to judge past cultures by our modern domesticated standards. Not long ago, a man that disrespected you would be shot dead where he stood. Any conquered nation in war would be devastated as a warning to others that may think of taking up the challenge, and people didn't have the emotions and weakness they do today. Those were different times. I suspect that the majority of modern, sensitive, socialized people would not survive a year. And the farther back in time we go, the less so. Killing and blood were ways of life for every man in every nation. The only ones whose lives did not revolve around this were kept as servants by those who did. A hard thing for soft handed and soft hearted moderners to accept, but such is a fact.

So my question is this...name me a nation or even a culture that rose to prominence, without being conquerors at some point in their development.

And by prominence I mean independence and wealth and development...not just a culture that survived.

I think we would all be Mongols and Vikings, and Huns, and raiders...in those days and in those places. But I could be wrong.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Violence has been with us since the creation of man and has been a mechanism of achievement for just about everything one can think of. To deny its importance, is willful ignorance. The world in an of itself is violent, but it doesn't have to be a world where violence is completely shunned as something evil, but can be seen as a tool necessary for success at various levels.

Hell yeah, especially with the options in time of war(upbringing, social class)... I bet we would even enjoy it.. Well maybe some of us....

Sheepdog to me sounds like a loyal pet, me I’m am loyal but far from someone’s pet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    ...I think we would all be Mongols and Vikings, and Huns, and raiders...in those days and in those places. But I could be wrong.
    When I think about those groups and what we have become today as a nation, I am reminded of this quote that I keep at my house. It keeps things in perspective for me....

The boys of my people began very young to learn the ways of men, and no one taught us; we just learned by doing what we saw, and we were warriors at a time when boys now are like girls. -- Black Elk

Unfortunately, I don't think that a lot of young boys have a lot of *Warrior* examples to watch these days.

Yes the most successful nations that I know of became successful at the expense of someone else. I am simply making an observation and i am not approving or disapproving of this historical fact; but will say it is better to be the conqueror than the subject.

Analogies do have their short comings.
    The sheep dog is in absolute thrall to his master and protects the master's flock.

But being called a lion historically is considered to be praiseworthy and perhaps that is what we want to be called.

Below featuring the painting Richard The Lionheart During The Crusades by Peter Jackson and for sure no great knight was called the sheepdog
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

1 Samuel 27:8-9:
    8 David and his men went up and raided the Geshurites, the Girzites, and the Amalekites. From ancient times they had been the inhabitants of the region through Shur as far as the land of Egypt. 9 Whenever David attacked the land, he did not leave a single person alive, either man or woman, but he took flocks, herds, donkeys, camels, and clothing... 11 He did not leave a man or woman alive to be brought to Gath, for he thought, “They might inform on us and say, ‘This is what David did.’” And such was his practice as long as he lived in Philistine territory.
    Gabriel Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    1 Samuel 27:8-9:
    8 David and his men went up and raided the Geshurites, the Girzites, and the Amalekites. From ancient times they had been the inhabitants of the region through Shur as far as the land of Egypt. 9 Whenever David attacked the land, he did not leave a single person alive, either man or woman, but he took flocks, herds, donkeys, camels, and clothing... 11 He did not leave a man or woman alive to be brought to Gath, for he thought, “They might inform on us and say, ‘This is what David did.’” And such was his practice as long as he lived in Philistine territory.
    Ha! Literally just finished 1 Sam and started 2 Sam yesterday.

Guilty as charged: Vikings, Krauts and Frisians in my DNA. Warriors, raiders, traders, pirates, smugglers and my idea of a sheepdog is a bit different.

sdog2.jpg

If I can get it done I'll attach the only picture I have of my grandfather with his MG crew, taken sometime in 1915 or later.

opamg.jpg
    Last edited by Papa; 04-01-2019 at 11:07 AM. Reason: 08/15
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 2, 12. And a wakeup.

Grandnephew recently made it through the Academy and has his first police job. He said they were instructing them the be a sheepdog. I said son you need to be a wolf hunter. He understands the difference.

Choirboy

JUST THINKING OUT LOUD...

But I wonder if this paradigm shift from warrior to guardian...from a crime fighter to a community service officer, is a contributor to why so many are getting killed by bad guys in the past few years...
    Gabriel Suarez