Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What are reliable .22 rimfire LR uppers for the AR15

I am looking first to see what is available in dedicated 22 LR uppers and I am also interested in conversion kits. Intention is for speed drills on steel at close range. The local ranges for .223 or other center fire want you back to 100 yards if you want to shoot steel.

Gun should be able use magazines of more than 10 shot capacity.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I’ve done well with CMMG dedicated 22 Lr uppers and their conversion kit too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Payne View Post

I did some searching the CMMG dedicated 22 Lr conversion kit too seems to be a good deal and comes with 25 rd mags. I do not see it listed at SI and understand it would likely be a low volume sale item. Within a wk or two I plan to make a purchase.
    The kits do use the stock AR15 barrel and I need to ck on what leading may do, especially to the the gas port. I have read of people saying to just fire some .223 ball ammo through it on occasion to remove the lead.
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

2nd on Jon post, I too have used the CCMG kit (sorry no experience for their uppers). A range day determined that mini-mag standard velocity produce the best results but this was out of mid length 16" FN chrome lined pencil barrel from 25 to 50 yards.
    . Then followed by a reconfirmed zero with full power 556. Recomeded to do this to flush out the gas tube from any 22 buildup. This was definitely a fun range day.

I see H&K has a complete rifle out there. The CMMG has more units out there and likely in the future parts and magazine availability is more assured. The H&K has yet to prove itself.

Heckler & Koch USA is now offering a high-quality understudy to its AR-pattern center-fire rifles with a new version of the HK416 .22 LR chambered in .22 Long Rifle. Built in partnership with Umarex of Germany, the HK416 is designed to be one of the most realistic H&K-branded rimfire rifles available for sub-caliber training, small-game hunting or competition. Unlike some AR-inspired .22s, which employ a good deal of polymer in their construction, this rifle features an aluminum flat-top upper and lower receiver set. The M-Lok handguard is topped with a full-length rail. A functional forward assist, spring-loaded dustcover and last-round bolt hold open contribute to the appearance and operation of this rifle. Other features include adjustable folding combat sights, a retractable shoulder stock and a pistol grip with a storage compartment. H&K will be offering 10-, 20- and 30-round magazines for these rifles. hk-usa.com

If you intend to shoot a high volume and you’re concerned with leading you could go to one of the low end AR sites and snag a $200 upper that closely resembles your main rifle.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by callmebubba View Post
    If you intend to shoot a high volume and you’re concerned with leading you could go to one of the low end AR sites and snag a $200 upper that closely resembles your main rifle.
    Well the question is: should there be a concern with leading? I have not done any internet searching for it yet. There are also a couple of people on our local gulf coast forum that have a lot of AR experience that I can ask.
    Gas tubes can be replaced

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Payne View Post

Jon,

I have had terrible accuracy and even tumbling rounds with the CMMG conversion in my Rock River AR, even at close ranges. Do you have any input? What rounds do you use?

I just bought a M&P 15-22 and set it up like my rifle.
    Cost is higher but I've seen such mixed reviews with the conversion I wasn't interested in trying one.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    Well the question is: should there be a concern with leading? I have not done any internet searching for it yet. There are also a couple of people on our local gulf coast forum that have a lot of AR experience that I can ask.
    Gas tubes can be replaced
    I would be far less concerned about ledding and more concerned about how dirty .22 is for the gas system i fusing a conversion kit. Either way I've shot both styles and my thought is I'd rather have an AR I can drop a 5.56 bolt into than a dedicated .22. They do make lead stripping solvents and you can shoot aerosol solvents into the gas tube using the little straw they come with.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities