Default Light weight AR parts

I found an extra AR receiver in the back of the safe and want to make a LW AR for my grandkids. I looked to previous posts and see how others did it. They used Faxon barrels, BCG handguards and flat receivers. Any other parts suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Fork View Post
    I found an extra AR receiver in the back of the safe and want to make a LW AR for my grandkids. I looked to previous posts and see how others did it. They used Faxon barrels, BCG handguards and flat receivers. Any other parts suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks
    Midwest Ind sent me one of their Combat rails to try in MLOK, and it + the barrel nut are ridiculously light, very affordable, and seems of high quality vs. cost of the part. Faxon barrels are good, as are the Hanson LW barrels. I just built my girlfriend a lightweight rifle using the Hanson. Personally, I'd stay away from Ti anything due to cost/benefit ratio.

A standard M16 A2 only weighs 8#...
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

I would avoid lightened BCGs, unless you are a hardcore 3 gunner they aren't worth it.

The Faxon 14.5 slim perm was the barrel used on the WWSD rifle the way it was configured with a light and red dot it was 5.5 pounds the faxon pencils, gunners and Ballistic advantage hanson barrels are all good.

I compared the weight of the faxon carbon fiber handguard to the midwest industries free float that I normally use, the difference was less than an ounce for close to double the cost.

If the kids are going to use this you want to retain an adjustable stock (MFT minimalist would be good in this application)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    The gun has played a critical role in history. An invention that has been praised and denounced... Served Hero and villain alike... and carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the gun is to better understand history.

KRG 9/11/11, PSGS 3/23/12, CPM 8/11/12, ACPM 8/18/12, M4 Sniper Week 2/20/13, TMCO 4/27/13, ATM 10/26/13, Wilderness Warrior Weekend 6/19/15, CRG-1 9/26/15, TASI 1/23/16, Wilderness Warrior Weekend 9/30/16

The barrel is the heaviest piece. A pencil barrel or an sbr is the most effective route to super light weight.