Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default School me on supressors.

Thinking about getting into the suppressor game. I know little about them but this is what I'm thinking of.

Length: not a concern
    Diameter: no more than 1.5"
    Suppression: 140db ish
    Mount: prefer direct thread
    Caliber:223/5.56

Does such an animal exist?
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

I believe ThunderBeast still has several solid options in direct thread. I know the Q Half Nelson has great reviews and is as well.

If you don’t mind heavy; I have one by a small shop called SilencerTech in New Mexico. It meets all your criteria. I’ve never had the opportunity to test it on a meter but shooting around other suppressed rifles it seems to work really well.

If you go into the weeds on this issue you’ll hear a lot of people talk about how tone matters more than DB. They say that different tones sound quieter even though they may meter at a higher level.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

I have several old school AAC's, the mounting platform not the best but they have served me well. On a gas gun, not sure I'd run a Thunderbeast. Great cans, but with all titanium construction excessive heat might be an issue(That having been said I'm saving for one now, but for a bolt gun). Silencerco, Surefire, Q, and Deadair would be good choices. Depending on your rifle, adding a can may overgas it. I've had great luck by adding a Bootleg adjustable carrier, especially on my 6.8 spc which was really overgassed with a can.

Quote Originally Posted by callmebubba View Post
    I believe ThunderBeast still has several solid options in direct thread. I know the Q Half Nelson has great reviews and is as well.

If you donít mind heavy; I have one by a small shop called SilencerTech in New Mexico. It meets all your criteria. Iíve never had the opportunity to test it on a meter but shooting around other suppressed rifles it seems to work really well.

If you go into the weeds on this issue youíll hear a lot of people talk about how tone matters more than DB. They say that different tones sound quieter even though they may meter at a higher level.
    At 1.75", all of Q's offerings exceed his 1.5" diameter requirement (I have a THUNDER CHICKEN in ATF purgatory right now).
    "When you are hungry, it is foolish to hunt a tiger when there are plenty of sheep to be had." Ė Baader-Meinhof slogan

IMHO...Silencerco.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Everything that I own is SiCo. For centerfire rifles, I've got a couple of Omegas and a couple more on the way. I don't have enough experience with other cans to say that this one is definitively "the best," but I confirmed that it does everything I want a can to do. A big part of my decision, though, was the mount. For a DT can, that stuff is a non-issue. I also wanted .30 cans so that I can run them on everything.

For your use, there are two additional cans that I would suggest looking at: 1) the Thunderbeast Ultra, and 2) the Griffin GP5. Thunderbeast is typically associated with precision rifles, not fighting carbines. But they make great cans. And if you don't care about length, then you won't be bothered by a 9" beast. The GP5 is a specialty can. It's primary selling point is the ability to pin it to a 10.5" barrel, giving you a one-stamp 16" rifle. For you, there is an advantage there when you travel. You don't have to file a Form 20 to travel with a silencer, but you do with an SBR. So the GP5 could give you a lightweight, suppressed 16" gun that can travel out-of-state on a moment's notice. (Disclaimer: I have zero experience with either of these cans.)

A less-likely possibility is the Griffin Optimus Micro. It is kind of in a class of its own--somewhere between rimfire and 5.56. It is very lightweight for a centerfire can. They don't recommend using it on less than a 14.5" barrel, and I wouldn't do any mag dumps with it. I'm waiting to get one out of NFA jail and put it on a P90. I doubt this quite fills your needs, but it is new and unique so I thought I'd point it out to you.

Also, if you don't already have it, you are going to want an adjustable gas block.
    Virtute et Armis

Why is your diameter limited?
    Are direct threads and thread seize a real issue? Would QD be better?
    OSS has an interesting design to significantly reduce blowback and thread seizing.
    Integral suppression interests me a lot.
    May want to decide between stainless vs titanium.
    7.62 may give you more options.

My Omega 9K, as one example, will work on my Glock 22 conversion, my Glock 17 PDW, the EVO or MP5, and with a parts change, on my 8.5" 300 BO. Quite versatile. My other (forgot the name) works on 9mm, .223, .300 BO, and on my 308 bolt...all either direct mount, or vis-a-vis the QD system.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I picked up a OSS suppresor for my 7.62 draco micro. I'm still waiting for the tag but it should be here shortly. I liked that it pushed the gas forward and so it should allow for the pistol to cycle normally, even while suppressed - which isn't true of the traditional baffle designs. This is the one I got: https://osssuppressors.com/suppressors/helix/#hx-qd-762
    Though a mighty army surrounds me,
    my heart will not be afraid.
    Even if I am attacked,
    I will remain confident.

Psalm 27:3 (NLT)

I have several suppressors from different manufacturers. I have three by Crux. The are indestructible and offer almost to no POI shift. The are all rated for full auto fire and have no limitations on caliber other than that limited by the bore. I have 2 that mount to the break which works nice depending on the application and.22 cal that attaches to the barreI not the break. I prefer the break mount. It is still direct thread but to the mount. No QD. I have no connection with them other than I was one of their first customers. Primarily I have used them on precision bolt and gas guns but have used my smaller 30 cal on a 300 Norma mag and was quite pleased with the results. 100% Titanium. Good luck in your search!