Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 51
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    184
    Ive had mixed results with wedges. The door sill on many of the rooms is pretty tall and the wedge can only get so close to the door so when its opened it hits the wedge pretty high and sometimes doesn't hold. You could almost squeeze between the door and the jam after the wedge finally took hold. But better than nothing.

    Masterlock makes a retractable door security bar if you have the space in your luggage. Lowes sells them. They pretty much lock a door down.

    7M3

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    9,143
    Quote Originally Posted by 7 Mary 3 View Post
    Ive had mixed results with wedges. The door sill on many of the rooms is pretty tall and the wedge can only get so close to the door so when its opened it hits the wedge pretty high and sometimes doesn't hold. You could almost squeeze between the door and the jam after the wedge finally took hold. But better than nothing.
    I don't understand this at all. You put the tip between the door and the threshold on the latch side and use your heel to kick it as deeply into the gap as possible, you don't just set it on the floor in front of the threshold and hope it catches as the door opens.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

    #thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

    Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

    http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southeast United States
    Posts
    686
    Quote Originally Posted by henri View Post
    I travel a fair amount in the US, driving to local areas (within 250 mi -/+) I just bring my usual edc, g19 rmr and g17 spare mag, in vehicle I leave a 33rd 'happy stick', as a just in case. I don't bring a doorstop or place a chair on my door, yes 4-5 star hotels are my usual, and never had an issue. Flying to places such as LA DC Chicago NYC Boston, carry a 'walking stick' and fixed blade purchased locally, or borrowed from local eatery, also never had issues at Mandarin, Fairmont or RC hotels, same when I visit favorite haunts in Spain, Uruguay, Italy and Scotland. As far as valuables, my MacBook Air accompanies me routinely and never left unattended, watch, cell phone always on person and that's it for items of value. Clothes, easily replaced if 'lost'. Travel light and keep things simple.
    I don't typically leave a firearm in the car. But sometimes there's the exception. I have a small Subaru Crosstrek that has very few hiding places, so I bought a pair metal pistol lockboxes with matching key numbers so I only have worry about a single key to open either (but have three spares). The boxes fit perfectly under the front seats and are secured to the seat frames with heavy steel cables. And yes, a professional would have bolt cutters, blah-blah, but if I was worried about being messed with by a professional I'd stay home. And I ain't stayin' home.

    Anywho, we took a 4,500 mile trip across the midwest last summer. I took my usual, a Glock 19, Glock 43 and S&W 340PD Airweight. The G43 is my primary, the J-frame roams from cargo pocket to vest, depending on the situation, and the G19 is in my bag. I contemplated taking my G17 PDW but decided against it. We don't do any of the Four Ss, we don't hang out at biker bars or try to score dope on dark street corners, etc. We're tourists, we see the sights, eat at interesting restaurants and hole up in nice places at night.

    On the rare occasion when I had to leave a weapon in the car and be away for an extended period of time -- that Monument Valley tour is flippin' amazing! -- I stuck it in one of the lock boxes. When we got back on the road it was put back in its handy dandy place in case of trouble. Which we never had. The second box was handy for keeping a stash of cash so we didn't have to carry it all on us all the time. Yeah, we have credit cards and such, but we like to tip good service and buy our food with real money when we can. On one trip we put our wallets in the boxes 'cuz we were doing something, swimming, water park, I can't remember.

    I guess I could bring one of the boxes into the hotel room and hook it to something, but it's probably safer in the car. If the car is stolen (unlikely) or set on fire (still unlikely) we have a lot more problems than a lost pistol and some petty cash.

    So, metal pistol boxes, matching keys (look for the key number on the label when you buy them) and situational awareness.

    856999007298.jpg
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Prescott
    Posts
    685
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
    Many hotel rooms have the rolling office chairs now, no chair to wedge under the door. I now always balance the ironing board against the door, to where it will fall with minimal door movement. It’s not a “hardening” tool but it sure as hell works to wake me up!

    It’s only “worked” once, whoever opened the door was long gone by the time I moved forward to check. The secondary door lock/privacy lock was what stopped the door opening and the ironing board made sure I was up and aware. They’re quite loud on a tile floor.
    damn near every town has a home depot now. its not much to keep a door wedge in your vehicle for travel use

    Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South Florida, USA
    Posts
    3,969
    Dont trust those box safes, I even put a heavier duty cable on it, the perps cut it like butter, luckily caught them and took about 3 months to get my gun back.

    The only good thing is they beat the box so hard to get it apart they damaged the polymer frame on the FNP that it would not shoot. Literally cracked the frame which jammed up the trigger mechanism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Zen View Post
    I don't typically leave a firearm in the car. But sometimes there's the exception. I have a small Subaru Crosstrek that has very few hiding places, so I bought a pair metal pistol lockboxes with matching key numbers so I only have worry about a single key to open either (but have three spares). The boxes fit perfectly under the front seats and are secured to the seat frames with heavy steel cables. And yes, a professional would have bolt cutters, blah-blah, but if I was worried about being messed with by a professional I'd stay home. And I ain't stayin' home.

    Anywho, we took a 4,500 mile trip across the midwest last summer. I took my usual, a Glock 19, Glock 43 and S&W 340PD Airweight. The G43 is my primary, the J-frame roams from cargo pocket to vest, depending on the situation, and the G19 is in my bag. I contemplated taking my G17 PDW but decided against it. We don't do any of the Four Ss, we don't hang out at biker bars or try to score dope on dark street corners, etc. We're tourists, we see the sights, eat at interesting restaurants and hole up in nice places at night.

    On the rare occasion when I had to leave a weapon in the car and be away for an extended period of time -- that Monument Valley tour is flippin' amazing! -- I stuck it in one of the lock boxes. When we got back on the road it was put back in its handy dandy place in case of trouble. Which we never had. The second box was handy for keeping a stash of cash so we didn't have to carry it all on us all the time. Yeah, we have credit cards and such, but we like to tip good service and buy our food with real money when we can. On one trip we put our wallets in the boxes 'cuz we were doing something, swimming, water park, I can't remember.

    I guess I could bring one of the boxes into the hotel room and hook it to something, but it's probably safer in the car. If the car is stolen (unlikely) or set on fire (still unlikely) we have a lot more problems than a lost pistol and some petty cash.

    So, metal pistol boxes, matching keys (look for the key number on the label when you buy them) and situational awareness.

    856999007298.jpg
    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I kneel for no man and pray to only one God; Jesus Christ.

    تدريب لتكون في نهاية المطاف الأمريكي الكافر

    CRG 09/2012, TMCO 11/2012, RGF I 09/2013, ACRG 11/2013

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southeast United States
    Posts
    686
    Quote Originally Posted by TACC View Post
    Dont trust those box safes, I even put a heavier duty cable on it, the perps cut it like butter, luckily caught them and took about 3 months to get my gun back.

    The only good thing is they beat the box so hard to get it apart they damaged the polymer frame on the FNP that it would not shoot. Literally cracked the frame which jammed up the trigger mechanism.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I know this is a calculated risk. I have no expectations of being immune from every scenario, every professional. I could upgrade my cables to chains, I suppose. Of course someone will say that's not enough. My goal is simply to buy time and frustrate any smash and grab thieves.

    You make a good point, no argument. I'm sorry you went through that, but I'm glad you shared your experience. A wise man learns from the misfortunes of others.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    603

    Default My last crack hotel

    34F63DD0-1FA7-4F4D-9953-E65AF154F83E.jpgI had to use the yeti full of beer as the lock didn’t work!

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    525
    From a few days ago. Went to do my normal “prop the ironing board against the door” thing and noticed the board was much heavier than most places and the bathroom door frame was conveniently located. The ironing board had a clip to hold it flat so this was a fairly stout setup. Even yanking up on the board it was hard to move it; I just slid it in/out sideways.

    8BC016BA-0AFC-4101-A7E1-A0620A6240A2.jpg

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    PG County, MD
    Posts
    805
    Nice, Ron!

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    34F63DD0-1FA7-4F4D-9953-E65AF154F83E.jpgI had to use the yeti full of beer as the lock didn’t work!
    Funny. I have never had this issue at Hilton’s or Marriott.
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •