Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Securing Long-guns During Roadtrip?

Taking a SI Tac-14 along for a roadtrip and was wondering what's the Tribe's thoughts on storing a long-gun during the day:

Locked in luggage in a hotel room or moved into the parked car?

Neither seem like ideal solutions so curious what the Tribe does.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar01 View Post
    Taking a SI Tac-14 along for a roadtrip and was wondering what's the Tribe's thoughts on storing a long-gun during the day:

Locked in luggage in a hotel room or moved into the parked car?

Neither seem like ideal solutions so curious what the Tribe does.
    Run a cable through the open receiver and something in trunk such as openings in panels, then secure with padlock. I do this in my impala.

Default Securing Long-guns During Roadtrip?

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Run a cable through the open receiver and something in trunk such as openings in panels, then secure with padlock. I do this in my impala.
    In addition I recommend using a directional dial combination lock. It can be opened onehanded in the dark. This is how I secure long guns under the back seat of my truck. The cable is looped on both ends and I’d girthed onto one of the child car seat attachment points. I never leave it in the truck overnight.

Granted it won’t stop someone with bolt cutters but it will keep the average crackhead tweeter thief who pops windows looking for loose valuables
    Last edited by jdgiii; 03-24-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Best Security = Concealment

Out of sight, out of mind. Find a place to hide it, and every frigging vehicle has one, then place it there and keep it there. IMHO, there is no need to be taking it in and bringing it back out. It is just as secure (unseen) in the vehicle as in the hotel room (I assume you will be going out to eat as well).

If you can't solve a hotel room problem with your Suarez Glock, you haven't been paying attention. The long gun, in my opinion, is for true SHTF-Fight your way home crap...not a midnight hotel room problem.

Better solutions from one who has traveled more than most

1). If you can't afford at least a 4 star...stay home and work. No shit-cheap places for me. Price tends to beget an equivalent sort of people.

2). When in for the night, take a glob of TP...wet it down and cram it into the spy hole in the door. They are not just for looking outwards.

3). When in for the night use a door stop, or a chair up against the door to impede an unauthorized entry. Both of those have served me in the past.

4). If leaving for a meeting or for dinner, secure any "items" in your luggage. Lock them.

5). How do you prevent someone from coming in and taking your luggage? See point 1. I have never had anything stolen when I stay at a classy place.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Best Security = Concealment

Out of sight, out of mind. Find a place to hide it, and every frigging vehicle has one, then place it there and keep it there. IMHO, there is no need to be taking it in and bringing it back out. It is just as secure (unseen) in the vehicle as in the hotel room (I assume you will be going out to eat as well).

If you can't solve a hotel room problem with your Suarez Glock, you haven't been paying attention. The long gun, in my opinion, is for true SHTF-Fight your way home crap...not a midnight hotel room problem.

Better solutions from one who has traveled more than most

1). If you can't afford at least a 4 star...stay home and work. No shit-cheap places for me. Price tends to beget an equivalent sort of people.

2). When in for the night, take a glob of TP...wet it down and cram it into the spy hole in the door. They are not just for looking outwards.

3). When in for the night use a door stop, or a chair up against the door to impede an unauthorized entry. Both of those have served me in the past.

4). If leaving for a meeting or for dinner, secure any "items" in your luggage. Lock them.

5). How do you prevent someone from coming in and taking your luggage? See point 1. I have never had anything stolen when I stay at a classy place.
    Many hotel rooms have the rolling office chairs now, no chair to wedge under the door. I now always balance the ironing board against the door, to where it will fall with minimal door movement. It’s not a “hardening” tool but it sure as hell works to wake me up!

It’s only “worked” once, whoever opened the door was long gone by the time I moved forward to check. The secondary door lock/privacy lock was what stopped the door opening and the ironing board made sure I was up and aware. They’re quite loud on a tile floor.

In addition to what has already been said, I travel with Kryptonite retractable cable combination locks to secure luggage to a fixed object in the hotel room (there is usually something in the room that can work) for times when I leave the room to provide another layer of protection. I use them to keep honest people honest, & to make things more time sensitive for those who are not. They are compact and light, & really do help.
    Last edited by 62-10; 03-24-2019 at 05:25 PM.

Use a bicycle cable lock and secure it to the kiddie seat security brackets in the back seat or to the seat mounting brackets.

I keep a door wedge in my shaving/kit bag for the door, leather belt around the handle and opposing door works well too...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
    Many hotel rooms have the rolling office chairs now, no chair to wedge under the door. I now always balance the ironing board against the door, to where it will fall with minimal door movement. It’s not a “hardening” tool but it sure as hell works to wake me up!

It’s only “worked” once, whoever opened the door was long gone by the time I moved forward to check. The secondary door lock/privacy lock was what stopped the door opening and the ironing board made sure I was up and aware. They’re quite loud on a tile floor.
    Last edited by m48shooter; 03-26-2019 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post

damn near every town has a home depot now. its not much to keep a door wedge in your vehicle for travel use

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Thanks for all the feedback. Wanted to add a few things

Expanding on what Gabe and a few others mentioned about peep holes, there are little devices (probably originally for police use) that reverse the peep hole image so the inside is perfectly viewable from outside. At home, I cover my peep hole with a magnet.

Rubber door jams are awesome but I've been to a few nicer hotels where the average size door jam doesn't work. I have seen 3-4inch tall ones before but can't seem to find them again. Will post if I find them.

As for Tac-14 bags, the uke bag works just fine...quite like the "sheet music" pouch