Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fed-up with crappy Multi-Tool pliers?

Multi Tool pliers are always, by necessity, a compromised design. They are better than finger pliers but they are not what you reach for if real work is required.
    But there is a terrific option for those who wish to upgrade their kit... Try out a set of Knipex Mini Cobra Pliers (model # 87 01 125).

These pliers are similar to traditional Channel Lock pliers, but 100 times better... made in Germany, built like a tank, and a far superior design. The locking adjustment means they never slip to a different setting and the design of the jaws works well on most anything, including nuts and bolts (it will chew shit up but the plier jaws will not be damaged). Plus, even though the pliers are very small the jaws open up to an astonishing 2" wide!
    And best of all, at just 5" long, the Mini Cobra's are small enough and light enough for anyone to carry but still do jobs that only full size pliers can usually handle.

As with all things in life, quality costs, so these pliers aren't cheap ($30 on Amazon is about the best you will find), but you are getting a premium made tool that will last you a lifetime.

You can just drop them in your pocket or gear bag but if you prefer a sheath I have found an easy solution. Go to Walmart and spend $10 on the shitty old Mini MagLight w/ Sheath combo pack they sell... Open the package, throw away the Mini-Mag, and use the belt sheath for your Cobra Pliers.
    NOTE: You will have to move the jaws down to the third adjustment notch (see pic) so they fold to their narrowest, but then they will slip right into the tube sheath. You can use the provided belt loop or cut it off and melt or sew the ends (this makes a good pocket sheath).

There are larger versions as well, and I keep a 7" pair in my Gear Bag to back up the Mini's and for those jobs where you need a set of pliers.

Give them a try and I guarantee you will wonder how you ever survived without them.

Last edited by John_Frederick; 03-24-2019 at 05:15 PM.

Thanks for the link, just ordered a pair.

Nothing worse than cheap tools that fail when you need them...

Very cool. Thanks John. I'm forever cussing my Leatherman pliers.
    I'll have to grab a few of these.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Here's a set with the pouch included.

https://www.amazon.com/Tools-00-20-7...y&sr=8-1-fkmr0

And it seems this may be the maglite pouch without the maglite.

https://www.amazon.com/Maglite-Black...ateway&sr=8-46
    Last edited by DogDoc; 03-24-2019 at 02:48 PM.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    Here's a set with the pouch included.

https://www.amazon.com/Tools-00-20-7...y&sr=8-1-fkmr0

And it seems this may be the maglite pouch without the maglite.

https://www.amazon.com/Maglite-Black...ateway&sr=8-46
    That set includes the Mini Pliers Wrench which is another awesome tool that I also carry with me, but is more specialized, being best for nuts and bolts. The Pliers Wrench is actually even better designed than the Cobra Pliers but just not as versatile for general purpose work. But for nuts and bolts they are a Crescent Wrench without the negatives of a Crescent Wrench, i.e. they won't round off the corners or slip.

And I've tried that pouch but it is not as good as the one in the Combo Kit... the material is thinner and does not fit the pliers as well. I don't know why the two sheaths are different but you will be happier with the sheath from the combo kit and it will only cost you another couple bucks or less.

Last edited by John_Frederick; 03-24-2019 at 03:13 PM.

Excellent! That's even smaller than the old Craftsman Robogrips. I've several of the old Robogrips around the house and have kept one in my deployment kit for decades. Love my Leatherman, but when you really need to strip that nut or bolt you gotta get something a little more stout.

s-l1600.jpg

I'm putting together a list of things to put in my son's care package for when he deploys to Afghanistan next year. He usually ends up with extra flashlights and knives in addition to locally produced soft drinks and bourbon balls. Think I'll include a couple of the Kniplex minis. They take along a pretty comprehensive tool kit to keep the Blackhawks flying, but this would be a handy thing to keep in his vest.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

A friend carried this kit back in the 80's before the Leatherman became popular; Swiss Champ and Visegrip 4WR. The mini Knipex look like they are more compact width wise with only another inch in length.

20160529_084811.jpg
    I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

My advice is free, and backed by a double your money back guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by McGyver View Post
    A friend carried this kit back in the 80's before the Leatherman became popular; Swiss Champ and Visegrip 4WR. The mini Knipex look like they are more compact width wise with only another inch in length.

20160529_084811.jpg
    When it comes to clamping pliers I always recommend the Leatherman Crunch, as it is the rare exception amongst multi-tools... It is actually better than the real tool, AKA Vise Grips.
    The Crunch build quality is far superior, folds up much smaller, actually works better, and has some cool extra tools and features tucked away for other tasks.
    Plus the design is simply genius... Playing around with one will blow your mind wondering how someone ever dreamed it up.
    The only negative VS Vise Grips is the cost... You can have 1 LM Crunch or 10 Vise Grips.

Just ordered some. This is going to be the handiest thing ever.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavySmoke View Post
    Just ordered some. This is going to be the handiest thing ever.
    They are one of the three most useful pieces of kit I've ever carried, tied with a good flashlight and a good folder.