Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy04 View Post
    ... I finally said, “What do you care? It’s not like you’re going to follow through and actually do it.” He stopped bothering me after that. Shit or get off the pot already.
    I've said this on a variety of subjects. And in nearly each case the person in question looked at me as if I'd read their mind and discovered a deep, dark secret about themselves that they'd never even considered.

What they didn't know was, I did read their mind. And in each case there was less there than meets the eye.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

I call the askhole a yeahbutwhatifer. Some try to impress you with their smarts by the questions they ask. BTW, I like askhole much better and hence forth will use it whenever I can lol.
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

Train with Payne 2019

AK RIFLE GUNFIGHTING - OCT 26-27, 2019 HOUSTON, TX

I'm only in my sixties, but I'm already becoming a crabby old man. I've come to limit my relationships to people who are no drama, interesting and -- did I mention no drama? Which, of course, severely limits my options. There are many articles about aging men who become social pariahs. I expect to get my membership card any day now. I'm not worried ... life is way too freakin' short to waste time on these social vampires.

Anyway ... my most recent nemesis is the Ignorant Hypocrite. As the awkwardly worded title suggests, such a person is defined by the ignorance of their own hypocrisy. They are usually enthralled by grand ideas like "Women are strong, resilient and can do anything!" These are typically followed by the shrill demand that "Women need special laws and safe spaces to keep us from being victimized, etc." The way I see it, either you is or you ain't. Amiright?

Oddly, this argument is often made by men who don't get the irony of their statements. When I point out that you can't "do anything" and yet need a coloring book and a cookie whenever your feelings are hurt, they give me the quizzical look, staring blankly, a string of drool hanging from their lip as they contemplate the unknown.

Another example of such hypocrisy is The Advocate who preaches (usually to me) about the hardships and victimization of any minority or demographic and how wonderful that particular culture is, but when you ask said Advocate where they live, it's always in a white-bread neighborhood nowhere near the mentioned minority culture. Added points for their stammering and changing the subject when I tell them how my "privileged family" -- my mom and dad and both sets of grandparents -- lived in dirt floor shacks out in the county, scraped by on whatever shit job they could get back in the day and made moonshine for fun and profit.

Then there is the hypocrisy of The Pacifist who declares that anyone who takes up arms for any reason -- including US military and LEOs -- is a murderer. I am so sick of hearing "murderer" used by people who've never even seen a dead body or been personally victimized by violence. A great national example is the community of Berkeley, Kalifornia, where they declared the U.S. Marine Corps persona non grata.

On the rare occasion when I have a personal encounter with an advocate of pacifism, I always point out that the only reason a person can enjoy the privilege of being a pacifist is the blood and sacrifice of those who had no choice but deal with the violence they faced. In a few cases I've even suggested that pacifism is a symptom of a larger, possibly a psychological problem. When I point out the absurdity of passive response in the face of a school shooting, rape or kidnapping, I am accused of being at best flaunting machismo and at worst being an alarmist paranoiac.

These are just a few of the reasons I don't discuss politics, guns, religion or anything else with certain types.

Ah well, pardon the rant. I usually try to stay out of such things but this discussion scratched an itch.
    Last edited by Redneck Zen; 03-22-2019 at 06:50 PM.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

The ungrateful. Leads to toxicity.

Ref https://www.prageru.com/video/the-key-to-unhappiness/

Want to be miserable, resentful, and bitter? Few people do, and yet many people are. Why? Because many people have the one primary character trait that leads to unhappiness. And you need to avoid it.

The Determined Bearer of Bad News-DBBN

My Mom is valiantly battling stage 4 cancer.

She is in hospital about 2 hours drive from home. So we rely on WhattsApp, using voice messages and phone calls to communicate daily.

Mom is brutally honest with me, something that she promised me right at the start. Not wanting me to go through the same uncertainty that we both went through when Dad got sick and passed away suddenly 2 years ago. So if she is not feeling well physically, feeling sad-missing home, or scared and uncertain she tells me.

I pay for a cooked meal everyday that gets delivered to the back-gate of my apartment building. I had made arrangements for the food to be brought to my door, something that is part of the service.

A neighbor who also receives her lunch this way offered to go and fetch my lunch at the gate, seeing that she has to get her own meal anyway. Saving the delivery person a trip to my door.

NOTE-She also works at this establishment part time and claims that they are overworked in the kitchen and cannot really spare the personnel to deliver my food. I suspect she is a busybody andit makes her feel important if she is the person who gets to bring me my food.

She will ash me if I had spoken to Mom yet today when she enters my kitchen. If I have I will relate to her what we talked about. But no matter how well Mom is doing for example feeling strong enough to go for a walk and having an appetite having asked for a second bowl of soup and eating a bunch of sandwiches she will remind me that-Your Mom has cancer and she is very sick.

Even if I strife to keep a positive attitude, choosing to focus on the good news she will deliberately and continuously rattly of Mom ailments and speculate wildly on what it might mean. For example the reason for Mom`s physical therapy is to help her breath, meanwhile the sessions consisted of short works and light exercises to strengthen her legs. Not quite saying that Mom is busy dying or near death but implying it.

Determined to remind me daily that Mom is in a lot of pain, is very sick and that she has cancer.

OSSU
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

One character type not yet mentioned is what could be called the "knee-bender". This is the person who is an appeaser of the worst order. No matter the issue or their opinion, they fold at the knees like a bad poker hand to whatever the prevailing political correct, socially acceptable opinion is, forfeiting their will and all integrity to group think.

"On the rare occasion when I have a personal encounter with an advocate of pacifism, I always point out that the only reason a person can enjoy the privilege of being a pacifist is the blood and sacrifice of those who had no choice but deal with the violence they faced. In a few cases I've even suggested that pacifism is a symptom of a larger, possibly a psychological problem. When I point out the absurdity of passive response in the face of a school shooting, rape or kidnapping, I am accused of being at best flaunting machismo and at worst being an alarmist paranoiac."

I used to belong to a yoga school and work out-classes were 90 minutes long, 106 degrees, and there was no meditation or "religious" connotation to the workout. We had a guest instructor who once began the class quoting Ghandi and the virtues of pacifism. I tolerated it one time, but a couple of weeks later, he was back, talking about pacifism and its virtues. After the class I showered and then asked him in front of a few students what he would do if he came home and found someone raping his wife or murdering his young child. He gulped and then said "Dial 9/11!" I told him he wasn't really a pacifist-he just contracted out violence to the police. He never bored us with his hypocrisy again....

Well, this thread has described about 85% of humanity. So, thank God for the remaining 15 or so percent of us that remain.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    Well, this thread has described about 85% of humanity. So, thank God for the remaining 15 or so percent of us that remain.
    Rather than a hand wringer, be a problem solver. Rather than a complainer, be one who overcomes and circumvents the things others complain about. Instead of a drama-queen, keep your shit to yourself. Instead of a Sparrow, let everyone believe what they want to believe and stop trying to convert them. Instead of a Village People, acknowledge success and try to emulate it rather than jealously trying to destroy it.

If those traits we are discussing EVER can be said of us, than shame be upon us and change we must make...but aside from a few lapses now and again, and a few individuals that embody some of these traits, I dare say we are in fact immune from such mental, spiritual and emotional states.

And if that describes 85% of humanity, it correlates with my increasing cynicism about humanity and growing selective cultural misanthropy.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Many of the toxic personalities discussed are all too prevalent within the command structure of the law enforcement realm. The DAIS/NAID syndrome-Do As I Say, Not As I Do, is another virus that's out there.
    LIMOM- Legend In My Own Mind, is also seen, and usually accompanies the "Topper" and "Spotlight Ranger" affliction.
    I believe the effect of these ailments become more toxic in a small agency where there isn't enough work on the outside, and the chain of command is short, leaving time for idle hands and minds within to succumb to it.
    Good advice in Gabe's previous post, It can be all too easy to get caught up in that toxic wind.