Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    "The Role Conformer"

Exemplified by statements such as "Im a woman, I cant be an Engineer", regardless of actual ability. The result is self limiting in the short term, and regret long term.

About the only thing I can add to this thread (without mentioning how many people I know that fit one category or another) is that you are wasting your time when you try to change these people. Obviously they are happy the way they are, if they weren't, they'd change their ways.

Better to spend your time/effort on the people in your family that will benefit from it.

“The Wait-Arounder.”

Nothing to do at work? They just sit and wait to be told what to do. When asked why they aren’t doing anything, their response is “nobody told me what I should be doing.” I noticed this is rampant in extremely low level positions at high importance fields, namely education and medical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy04 View Post
    I can’t even count the number of people who have come into my office (and countless others) to ask for advice on something, but then NEVER IMPLEMENTING ANY OF IT.
    Even more annoying is the variant that asks about something, gets a well-founded and well-formulated answer, goes "Yeah, you're right about that" and then does the exact opposite.

The Paranoid Delusional
    These come in two flavors. The first is the keyboard commando that is convinced that every alphabet agency (and various nebulous international organizations) are watching and monitoring his every move, and pouring over his every internet post. He is blissfully unaware that the people who actually do monitor subversive activities are far to busy ferreting out real threats (you know, people who actually DO stuff). The sky is falling, chemtrails are appearing over his house, and he needs a supersized roll of foil for Christmas.

The second is the office paranoid. Everybody is talking about them behind their backs. Their fellow workers are all assassinating their character, undermining their career, and generally plotting their downfall. They resemble more that anything else a junior high girl worrying incessantly about school gossip. They have a badly exaggerated sense of their own importance. Seriously, no one really cares enough about them to waste time talking about them, much less hatch some nefarious plot against them.
    "When you are hungry, it is foolish to hunt a tiger when there are plenty of sheep to be had." – Baader-Meinhof slogan

Quote Originally Posted by Bold View Post
    Even more annoying is the variant that asks about something, gets a well-founded and well-formulated answer, goes "Yeah, you're right about that" and then does the exact opposite.
    Yes, or the one that immediately responds to your advice with a well-crafted excuse matrix on why they can’t do X, Y, or Z.

THEN WHY THE FOXTROT DID YOU ASK ME?!
    "We must all suffer one of two things: The pain of discipline, or the pain of regret and disappointment." -Jim Rohn

Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    ...But how do you keep the sprinklers from going off during the staff meeting?
    Fill them with gasoline?

Quote Originally Posted by Bold View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy04 View Post
    Yes, or the one that immediately responds to your advice with a well-crafted excuse matrix on why they can’t do X, Y, or Z.

THEN WHY THE FOXTROT DID YOU ASK ME?!
    A lot of people who ask for advice are actually only seeking agreement with their already made, and usually poor, decisions... They aren't looking for wisdom but rather support and confidence in their bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Frederick View Post
    A lot of people who ask for advice are actually only seeking agreement with their already made, and usually poor, decisions... They aren't looking for wisdom but rather support and confidence in their bad idea.
    Yup...Validation Victor.

We see them in class from time to time. They could not care less about anything you have to say. They already know it all and think they are just as skilled as you are. What they want is validation of their choices...even if they are stupid one. This is the Resistive Student I discuss in instructor classes. I suggest telling them once, if they don't alter what they are doing, and as long as they are safe, ignore them for the rest of your time with them and focus on the real students.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

The “Spotlight Ranger” or “Blue Falcon” (Air Force version of Spotlight Ranger). They either work with or manage ( not lead) a project ( or mission in the military, whether, leading a patrol, or whatever the task)
    They sit back however , waiting for failure or failing to take a risk. One others emerge and succeed, the Spotlight Ranger heads for the limelight to garner the credit.. all of it.
    In every country where independence has taken the place of liberty, the first desire of a manly heart is to possess a weapon, which at once renders him capable of defence or attack, and, by rendering its owner terrible, often makes him feared- Alexandre Dumas