Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mushinto View Post
    I bought a Marlin 45-70 Trapper several years ago, inspired by some Jurassic Park movie. It shot okay. Standard loads were mild and the Hornaday as I recall was a real Thumper.

Weapon failed to eject about 20% of the time, leaving very empty case in the chamber. I sold it as is. In my experience the new Marlins are junk.

I have a Rossi 454 Casull Trapper. It works every time. I consider it about 80% of a 45-70. Is also much lighter than the Marlin. Another advantage is it also handles 45 Colt.

-- ML
    When Remington bought out Marlin, they apparently also moved the production facility and apparently did not get the proper documents and maybe fixtures needed to set up production correctly. Apparently more than blue prints are needed to make a rifle with functioning parts. There is debate on the internet if the Remington Marlins now coming off the line are now better relative to functioning and shooting to where the sights point than was the case when new production began.
    I would not buy a remington marlin without an opportunity to first shoot it to see if it functions and if it can be sighted in.
    Pre-remington marlins are what I would recommend from the used gunrack. I might also add that some of the big box stores do not sell .35 Remington ammunition anymore which was a big selling point of the 336 marlin rifle.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

The lever guns made by henry repeating arms have an excellent reputation. Main drawback is that only recently have they started putting side gate loading on them. So if it does not have a side gate then is not so good for combat loading.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez