Default Muscle Mass Beats BMI as Longevity Predictor

Muscle Mass Beats BMI as Longevity Predictor

Researchers analyzed BMI and muscle mass data from more than 3,600 seniors in a long-term study. And they tracked which seniors had died, a decade later. Turns out BMI wasn't much good at predicting chance of death.

But muscle mass was: more muscle meant better odds of survival. The study appears in The American Journal of Medicine. [Preethi Srikanthan and Arun S. Karlamangla, Muscle Mass Index as a Predictor of Longevity in Older-Adults]

Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Not unexpected, thank you.

It seems to me to be common sense, but then again..

Family example: My maternal grandmother was up and moving through her 103rd birthday. Always active, never overweight, riding horses into her 60s, gardening in her 90s. Biggest complaint prior to passing was that her body couldn’t keep up with her mind. Razor sharp and a wicked sense of humor right to the end.
    Expect that her muscle mass was relatively high. Odd memory: she regularly checked with my brother and I to see that we were developing adequate “Muskulls” (her teasing word to remind us).
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

2019 Classes:

From Murphy: "Incoming has the right-of-way" (so, GOTFX!!)

But... But according to the BMI I am morbidly obese!

Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

I used to have a picture of myself at 6’1, 240 with 18” arms and waist that 34’s fit loosely next to a guy, 5’5, 170, 14 inch arms and a waist that couldn’t get into a 36 with Vaseline. By army standards I was overweight and he was within the standards.
    This doesn’t even begin to address the fact that my PT score was literally 100 points higher than his. But that’s how government standardized health metrics work.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

And most unfortunately, most of medicine still relies on BMI as the standard while knowing it is grossly inaccurate. Using technology (not calipers) to measure body composition periodically is a much better measure. DEXA is the Gold Standard but high end BIA (like the InBody 770) and air/water displacement can be pretty accurate. DEXA and the 770 are true 4 compartment measurements. Weight is irrelevant. Skeletal muscle mass and body fat mass are the most important numbers! At 61 y/o with a BMI of 30 I am obese at 204 and 11.8 percent body fat. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    But... But according to the BMI I am morbidly obese!

I'm right there with yah big fella (5' 10"and 240)