Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Precision 22 bolt action

Ruger has a new precision .22 bolt action that takes 10/22 mags.
    Weve talked about the utility of suppressed bolt action pistols and have accepted the Charger as the closest approximation in .22LR but a bolt would have some advantages.

I wondered if SI could secure some actions from Ruger and put on a pistol-length, threaded barrel, a good trigger, a chassis with folding arm brace and make a uniquely handy tool.

Id buy one in heartbeat.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Ruger already makes a 10/22 in a pistol configuration, why not use it?

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Ruger already makes a 10/22 in a pistol configuration, why not use it?
    The Charger is a semi auto rather than a bolt action. I have one. Fine tool but a bolt action would run more quietly and not fling brass.
    Sublte differences but sometimes subtlety is a good thing.
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    The Charger is a semi auto rather than a bolt action. I have one. Fine tool but a bolt action would run more quietly and not fling brass.
    Sublte differences but sometimes subtlety is a good thing.
    I have watched people hold the bolt on a 10/22 ruger closed when firing to reduce noise. It did make a difference with that gun. So I assume that a locked beached is better for being quiet. Many years ago stevens made a detachable mag feed .22 semiauto with a bolt that could be locked shut for manual operation. Too bad no one does that today.

In back of the ventilated breach one can see the lock hole for pushing the bolt in to make it manually operated. One can find these used. Stevens used good barrels in their guns.

Rifles > Stevens Rifles" style="border-width:0px;">

STEVEN MODEL 85 .22 RIFLE TAKE .22 S .22L AND .22 LR SEMI AUTOMATIC. FIRES SEMI AUTO WIT WITH THE LONG RIFLE AND BOLT ACTION WITH THE 22 LONG AND SHORT.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Also look at the Volquartsen Summit. You could buy a bare Volquartsen 10/22 receiver and build it up as a pistol if you wanted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Virtute et Armis

The Thompson Contender is not a repeater but would fill the bill otherwise. The factory triggers are very nice.
    Making the bad man go away since 1982.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it from Ruger in the not too distant future. I think something like that would sell to the Fudds who are a huge, huge segment of the overall gun buying world.

I think this might be sooo niche as to be almost useless to be honest.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    I think this might be sooo niche as to be almost useless to be honest.
    I’d agree that the tactical niche if .22LR is pretty small. But it is there. A 12 inch barrel would likely be nearly as effective as a full length .22 and being quieter, shorter, lighter and legally concealable in a bolt action pistol configuration seems to me to expand its utility and niche rather than contract it
    Last edited by DogDoc; 03-17-2019 at 02:45 PM.
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

It's only too niche if you only look at it as a fighting tool. Lots and lots of hunter/ backpackers/ quasi prepped types out there who hunt small game. The numbers of rabbits and so on taken by rim fire in this country are staggering.

There may be one situation in a zillion where one might want this for violence. There are a bazillion opportunities to pop a fur bearer with a light weight easy to pack 22 and the guys who do that loves them some bolt actions. Might sell a few on this forum but they'd sell a few hundred on rim fire central.