Default A STUDY OF MENTAL JUSTIFICATION

This from the laser thread. I think it needs its own discussion as this may be a factor in why so many good guys have been getting killed by bad guys lately. Hesitation truly kills. I have seen it personally. But where does this hesitation come from? One area is your predisposition toward certain actions.

I see great deal of effort spent trying to justify NOT shooting. If all your training and thinking and mental work is intended and designed to justify in your mind, NOT shooting, that is exactly what you are predisposed to do (or not do in this case). What is the basis of this? In my opinion, it is unjustified fear of the legal system, your own lack of skills, and fear of failing. As we have noted, fear can be mitigated, if not eliminated, by - wait for it - knowledge and training.

Nobody wants to shoot someone that doesn't deserve it, but if we wait to get full and complete corroboration of our perceptions and impressions, we give the bad guy an inordinate amount of time to carry out his mission. And his mission is shooting you. Some people are comfortable with putting the life of the bad guy ahead of their own and those they are responsible for in order to wait to get total confirmation out of a lack of confidence over what they see and think. Others are not, and will go with their first impressions. The gun pointed at you is not a toy and it is not a joke. The blinding dot is not a kid playing games, but rather an aiming module on a weapon. The military aged male with the beard and the back pack yelling Allahu Akhbar is not playing a prank.

It all depends on what you predispose yourself to do when faced with a sudden possible threat. Predisposition doesn't always mean instantaneous action, but it does mean you are far closer to taking action than you would be otherwise. And in my experience, it is easier to refrain from shooting when you are predisposed to doing so, than catching up in time when you are predisposed to not shoot.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    . . . unjustified fear of the legal system . . .
    Or possibly a justified fear of losing their job, given the training and culture of many law enforcement agencies the last few years.

As for me, I was looking for a job when I found this one.

Quote Originally Posted by prestojo View Post
    Or possibly a justified fear of losing their job, given the training and culture of many law enforcement agencies the last few years.

As for me, I was looking for a job when I found this one.
    Then good luck. Maybe they will die to keep it.
    Gabriel Suarez

You either take things at face value and respond, or you wait. If a man points a weapon or exhibits it in a manner indicative of an attempt to intimidate, what will you assume? Is it a toy, is this a joke? If a man that looks like a terrorist reaches in his back pack and yells out a phrase indicative of a coming slaughter, what will you assume? It is a joke? Is this one of those youtube things? I think you can arrive at conclusions based on what is presented to you at the moment. In 2019, would a reasonable person point "just a laser"? Or yell out Allahu Akhbar as a joke? And how should a reasonable person react to such things? With indecision or with action? You are not assuming, rather you are arriving at hasty conclusions under duress, as would be done by a reasonable person in this day and age. And doing it here, makes it easier to do out there...the mental kata as it were.

Lack of complete clarity does not invalidate the above. In truth you will not have complete clarity until after the fact. And moreover...the certainty of the situation relates to you getting involved in an attack on someone else...coming to their aid. When you are the focus of the attack...or perceived attack, you are justified to go with your first impressions. Waiting for more is a deadly error.

Remember, you can be mistaken and still be legally justified. Why would a reasonable person in 2019, an era where laser aiming devices are commonly available and commonly used in popular culture in the movies and my US military, elect to point one at another person, knowing full well that they would think there would be a subsequent shot fired at them? All depends on where you want to end the event

So I have a FOF class coming up next month. We will do an exercise where participants have a laser pointed at them...aimed at their mouth (not eyes). The laser will be free and alone, or attached to a UTM pistol. We will see these points -

1). Can they tell the difference IN TIME to decide whether they should shoot or not?
    2). How long it takes the laser man to fire that shot subsequent to the painting with the laser.

I am willing to bet nobody can tell the difference in time. Time frame will be the interval between the painting and the shot. ...as we say in class.

Gabriel Suarez

Prestojo wrote:

I worked an armed security job at another site (college campus) a few years ago, and one of the professors on campus told me a story about a student who used to film things on campus. He was with the AV club or something. He was known to be a clown and a good guy, but when he did poorly on a test he would make dark and inappropriate comments about shooting up the school, things like that. No idea why the idiots in charge let him stay enrolled. Anyway, one day he's out filming something and another student runs inside and tells the guard: "Hey, there's a crazy looking guy out there waving around a gun!". The guard goes out there, sees the guy and doesn't draw his weapon or anything. He TALKS TO HIM!

"Is that you Joe? Are you filming?". The guy turns around, points his gun at the guard and says "What do you think?".

All I could say was the guard was a fucking idiot and if it had been me, we'd have had a dead student on the lawn with multiple head wounds. The professor said: "But it was a toy gun. And the guard sort of knew the guy."

I replied: "He's lucky I was not on duty. He'd have been dead. How the hell would I know it was a toy gun? It looked real, he's talked about shooting the place up and he's pointing a gun in my direction. That means he gets a few head wounds and doesn't have to worry about his next exam. Period."

End of story. Fuck the job, fuck the school, fuck the whiny liberal professors and fuck their parents for letting them grow up liberal (or making them grow up liberal). I can walk away from the job, any job, and find another. Doesn't work that way with my life. Someone does something that stupid, well...that's their karma. I explained to the professor that there is no way I can realistically assess that threat as far as whether the gun is real before he can shoot me. I have only one response - shoot him first. He asked me if I'd feel bad or guilty about shooting him and finding out it was a toy gun. My response was along the lines that no, I'd only be more pissed off at the idiot than I already was because it would cause me more aggravation and paperwork than if it were a real gun. Anger? Yes. Guilt? No.

People worry too much about their jobs. On my current job we have another guard who is the ultimate wussy and just worries about everything. This is the same guy who tried arguing with me that in an active shooter situation I should follow my post orders and lock the front door instead of hunting down the shooter and killing him.

He came up to talk to me a few weeks back about a woman at a bus stop who had a guy pull a gun on her, but she had her concealed carry and pulled hers and shot him. His comment? She could get in trouble because you can't legally board a bus in Chicago with a gun using your CCW.

I shit you not, this is how some of my fellow officers think. Worrying about the stupidest bullshit I can ever imagine. He also argued that if there was a LE officer outside the property and he was getting shot by a felon, I could "get in legal trouble" for helping the officer and shooting the felon in the back of the head. I just told him to shut the fuck up and stop wasting my time talking to me and come back when he found his testicles. It really irritates me.

So yeah, people need to stop worrying so much.
    "Let him cut your skin, and you cut his flesh. Let him cut your flesh, and you cut his bones. Let him cut your bones, and you cut off his life."
    - Toshitsugo Takamatsu