Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lol......

Unfortunately this is not surprising. Strangely enough I just had this conversation less than 30 minutes ago with my wife, looking over the kids’ shoulder at a show they were watching. I commented to her that we shouldn’t let them watch that show anymore, it was all flashing lights and 3-second cuts. After a few minutes watching it was more like 5 seconds or less on average.

The cuts and flashes irritate me and eventually give me a headache, I’m sure if I watched more often I’d get used to it!

Unbelievable...hey look a squirrel.

So as a teacher and writer...what does this mean?

While the American youth are jacking off over digital attention spans...what are the Chinese doing?

Tell me about things ten years from now ( I will have pulled the plug on the gun community by then ), twenty, thirty?
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

As a teacher or writer, you have a choice: chunk out your material in smaller bits, or teach to smaller crowds by aiming at the front slope of the Bell curve. In the private world, you do indeed have that choice. For those whose audiences are determined for them, rather than by them, it's bite-size bits or nothing. (That includes platoon sergeants, drill sergeants, corporate trainers and anyone else drawing from the public pool, so it can't just be dismissed.)

I see a far greater emphasis on visual learners. Demos instead of lectures/discussion or read-aheads. No teaching of the drawstroke as a unit, for example. Instead, 5 minutes of grip, 5 minutes of pull, back to trigger presses for a bit, back to Step 1&2 of the draw, now layer 3.

A successful class will likely resemble a Tom Clancy novel: bunch of cuts and disparate threads brought together in the final moments.

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

Wonder what effect writing three to five thousand reports in under 14 years, toggling between multiple screens plus CAD plus CHAT plus emails and the whatever the hell they call the notifications that pop onto your screen from the low right have had on my attention span, my ability to concentrate and my ability to process and understand information.

Yep, squirrel.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 2, 13. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    ...While the American youth are jacking off over digital attention spans...what are the Chinese doing?...
    Yep. The Chinese use *technology* as a tool while our clowns use it as a form of life-support. I go to bookstores a couple times a week on average. Needless to say, there aren't near the amount of people there that there was 15 or 20 years ago. Why? Because people can't spend enough time focused on reading a *real* book without checking four other sites at the same time while devoting no real time to any of them.

I've been to classes and seminars in the last few years where it was actually embarrassing to me to see how bad the *students* were. 30-50 year-olds that acted like they had ants-in-their-pants the entire time and talked, texted, and fidgeted like third-graders. The thing was...it was a great seminar...it's just the attendees were pathetic.

As a teacher, I would think you have 2 choices, change your teaching style to conform with the newer dumbed down version of students. Or to maintain your teaching style and let it be what it will be. If Musashi or Mas Oyama we’re still alive I doubt they would dumb down their teachings for the modern day morons. I, like many on this forum, read books. I enjoy learning. My goal is to be as dangerous as possible as long as possible. I think not changing your style of teaching may not produce as many dangerous students, but the ones who still have the ability to pay attention and get it, those students abilities will be far more dangerous than those who don’t get it or can’t pay attention longer than 8 seconds at a time.
    Last edited by WOLF220; 03-10-2019 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    Yep. The Chinese use *technology* as a tool while our clowns use it as a form of life-support. I go to bookstores a couple times a week on average. Needless to say, there aren't near the amount of people there that there was 15 or 20 years ago. Why? Because people can't spend enough time focused on reading a *real* book without checking four other sites at the same time while devoting no real time to any of them.
    Amazon, I'm too busy reading the book shelf of unread marketing, business and strategy books I already have. Right now the ~$20 on amazon is worth less than the hour going to the shop. Compared to the last 2000+ years of human existence, knowledge has neither been so cheap to obtain for those who will, or so easy to dismiss for those who would not learn, but wave hands.

Quote Originally Posted by WOLF220 View Post
    As a teacher, I would think you have 2 choices, change your teaching style to conform with the newer dumbed down version of students. Or to maintain your teaching style and let it be what it will be. If Musashi or Mas Oyama we’re still alive I doubt they would dumb down their teachings for the modern day morons. I, like many on this forum, read books. I enjoy learning. My goal is to be as dangerous as possible as long as possible.
    Adapt to keep your students enthralled for as long as possible. Poor attention can be either the student or the teacher. Your job as the teacher is to adapt as quickly as possible to make sure that >60% of the students retain >90% of the info. Greg kept the entirety of the class in WI I was privileged to go to enthralled. We were running drills, loading & getting lectured, or running or figuring out how to bork eachothers rifles in a way SPORTS would not fix.

Al
    GFT.

Try to replace hardware with technique. Technique is free, lightweight, and cannot be lost.
    RGF- Greg Nichols-Milton, WI

Same time attention span decreases, popularity in audio books and long form podcasts has gone up. Some forms of literature are being used less and narrative forms of comunication are used more. I believe content creation will change and compress to pass information faster. Maybe its just me, but id rather read an email than go to a typical meeting at work, similarily, id rather take a fast paced course in 2 weeks than a semester mostly compiled of ceremonial time wasting.