Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I find it interesting that they stated that the ability to multitask has gone up but the ability to disregard irrelevant information/stimuli went down.

I find that my attention is constantly shifting but that I can assess the stimuli and disregard the vast majority immediately as it either doesn't matter or doesn't matter in the moment and then I go back to my primary point of interest.
    Last edited by Greg Nichols; 03-11-2019 at 10:50 AM.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Since I mainly trained in small non-commercial dojos that were more like clubs, I'm used to the pattern of 2-3 classes per week with 2 hour classes and people usually staying longer to train more. I used to think the common pattern of 45 min classes was a rip-off, but now I know that this is what most people want. I've not really taught many kids' classes, nor would I want to, but the few times I did I was successful, but I really had to change my approach. I'd notice when they were getting bored and then totally change what we were working on, so they might have been doing punches for a while and then we switched to rolls, or weapons, etc.

The thing with books has been going on for a few years now, probably starting with Kindle. I was on a teleseminar about Kindle books, and the speaker said that they key to a successful Kindle book is to take one hour to write a book a person can read in one sitting about one solution to one problem, sell it for under $3.00, and do this every week.

I'm not sure if the rise of short books means a decline in regular books since it could also mean that people who generally don't read are the ones buying them, or that people who do read just wanted additional cheap and quick information. I also don't think this effects specialty information which was always a relatively small market and sold for much higher prices than typical books.

I've heard from several sources over the past 10 or so years that fewer and fewer people are interested in martial arts DVDs, and prefer short downloads they can get on their phones instantly rather than waiting a week for an hour-long DVD.
    "Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot

The day that I have to "water down" or "dumb down" my material to teach is the day I turn off the lights, cash out and flip the bird to the industry.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

The other day, because I wanted to show it to someone, I pulled up a video of legendary trumpet player Rafael Mendez (who did his best work in the 1940's-1950's era) playing the old violin tricky-fingers number "Flight of the Bumblebee" on his trumpet. Before he plays, he makes the point that his years of practice playing scales is what allows him to play like that.

Someone made a very insightful observation in the comments section. What they said was we may *never* *again* see that level of skill. Too many distractions for kids today.

Got that right. The day is passed when the most interesting thing a kid could be doing is playing scales for a couple of hours a day. Or practicing Pinan One over and over again. Or tagging along after your Dad while he did his barn chores. Or wandering through the woods trying to track animals. Etc., etc.

Interesting but not surprising.

In my 30s but I don't take my phone unless I need it for some reason. From what I've seen though, there doesn't seem to be much an age/generational gap.

As for teaching, who cares about the average here? Only thing I'd suggest is maybe re-releasing some of SI's older print material digitally (sure some of it is dated but still good).