Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default You Now Have a Shorter Attention Span Than a Goldfish

Read the article...or don't. What does this suggest for the future of learning, or of teaching when people cannot even pay attention?

The average attention span for the notoriously ill-focused goldfish is nine seconds, but according to a new study from Microsoft Corp., people now generally lose concentration after eight seconds, highlighting the affects of an increasingly digitalized lifestyle on the brain.

Researchers in Canada surveyed 2,000 participants and studied the brain activity of 112 others using electroencephalograms (EEGs). Microsoft found that since the year 2000 (or about when the mobile revolution began) the average attention span dropped from 12 seconds to eight seconds.

ATTENTION SPAN
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I have always had issues with attention span but I’m pretty sure I have ADD or something. As far as my kids I’m sure they are worse then me. They can’t be without something occupying them every minute of the day. I’m glad I still never let them have cell phones.

Default You Now Have a Shorter Attention Span Than a Goldfish

Interesting, short attention spans could be used to gain an advantage in marketing. Shorter length, less content, more sparkle. Especially when the article mentions this generation’s weak filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

Train with Payne 2019

AK RIFLE GUNFIGHTING - OCT 26-27, 2019 HOUSTON, TX

The fact that the pre-2000 attention span was only 12 seconds is almost as alarming as this new revelation.
    And I've seen this effect in my own life, even though at 45 I am definitely from the pre-cell phone Era.
    Now days if I try to watch movies or shows for the first from the 80's, 70's 60's, etc. I find the "slow pace" and "drawn out plot" to be almost unbearable. However, If I am already a fan of said movie/show from originally seeing it this does not affect me and I am able to enjoy it as much as the first time.
    Interestingly, I often find the frantic pace of most current movies/shows to be so over the top that I quickly fade out and lose interest as it's just a race from action scene to action scene with out even a hint of substance or plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Payne View Post
    Interesting, short attention spans could be used to gain an advantage in marketing. Shorter length, less content, more sparkle. Especially when the article mentions this generation’s weak filter.

They're already ahead of you. Watch a commercial or a hihh-rated show and see how often the camera cuts.

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

My wife is shrink who's training is mostly in the field of learning disabilities so I am familiar with the research on this topic. We've known for a long time that TV viewing causes changes in brain chemistry and the effect is proportional to the amount of time viewing it. The average TV show cuts the shot an average of 7 seconds and in children's programming its closer to 3 seconds. Over time this increases the amount of stimulation that you need just to feel a base level of comfort. I'm sure our cell phone addictions have an even bigger effect. I'm finding it hard to sit through a lot of movies these days as I'm bored before it's over. Granted, the quality of a lot of movies has declined, but I don't think that accounts for all of it.
    "Public employee unions are an inherently seditious construct"
    "If you see something, say something... so we can call you a racist!"
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
    They're already ahead of you. Watch a commercial or a hihh-rated show and see how often the camera cuts.
    If they’re not using it for what I’m doing they’re not ahead of me.

Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

Train with Payne 2019

AK RIFLE GUNFIGHTING - OCT 26-27, 2019 HOUSTON, TX

TL:DR

Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

I'm sorry, what were you saying?
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 1, 10. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I'm sorry, what were you saying?
    Never mind
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995