Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thing about intelligent discourse is you have to be able to hear, read, and understand.

Thank you both.

But lay off cardigans. A cardigan covers a lot of metal, and rolling up the sleeves, depending on your build, proves you ain't Mr. Rogers.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 5, 07. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Thing about intelligent discourse is you have to be able to hear, read, and understand.

Thank you both.

But lay off cardigans. A cardigan covers a lot of metal, and rolling up the sleeves, depending on your build, proves you ain't Mr. Rogers.
    Gotta be the right color and tailored to look dangerous.

This is acceptable -

41F4FE2500000578-0-image-a-43_1498964133568.jpg

Not this -

Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Sounds like something I will need to start monitoring. I punch 40 in the balls this year.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Gotta be the right color and tailored to look dangerous.

This is acceptable -

41F4FE2500000578-0-image-a-43_1498964133568.jpg

Not this -

m.jpg

Gotta cut him a little slack. It was a rough night.

1, 5, 07. And a wakeup.

Also of interest in terms of "performance enhancement":

"Thirty-nine highly rated male members of the German Chess Federation went in head-to-head competitions with a skill level matched computer program and played 3000 15-minute games. Players were given 2x 200 mg of caffeine, 2x 20 mg of Ritalin, 2x 200 mg of modafinil (Provigil) or a placebo.*

In bad news for Starbucks, caffeine was largely ineffective, but both Ritalin and modafinil improved player performance. Not only did the players on prescribed cognitive enhancers win more games, they also did better on neuropsychological exams."

https://edgeforscholars.org/profs-drugs-jama-highlights-use-cognitive-enhancers/

I originally saw this report in the JAMA article referenced in the above piece. The JAMA article also noted that a survey done by researchers at the University of Mainz indicated that 20% of German surgeons use "cognition enhancing drugs"

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    Sounds like something I will need to start monitoring. I punch 40 in the balls this year.
    I'll be 52 in a couple of weeks and I am more dangerous today than I have ever been before.

Knock 40 out, Brother....

I have been reading about some of this in Stealing Fire and in Chasing Captain America.

Some of the material in Stealing Fire is quite "out there", but it gives a fairly good understanding of what may be possible. At the end of the day...if the success of a mission, or an objective, is of such great importance to the individual, the unit, or the nation, does anyone really think that all possible advantages won't be taken? We are not talking about the silly bullsh8t that is sports, but rather real life life-and-death, and situations where winning is the only acceptable outcome.

Fair is for fools.

Quote Originally Posted by alistar View Post
    Also of interest in terms of "performance enhancement":

"Thirty-nine highly rated male members of the German Chess Federation went in head-to-head competitions with a skill level matched computer program and played 3000 15-minute games. Players were given 2x 200 mg of caffeine, 2x 20 mg of Ritalin, 2x 200 mg of modafinil (Provigil) or a placebo.*

In bad news for Starbucks, caffeine was largely ineffective, but both Ritalin and modafinil improved player performance. Not only did the players on prescribed cognitive enhancers win more games, they also did better on neuropsychological exams."

https://edgeforscholars.org/profs-drugs-jama-highlights-use-cognitive-enhancers/

I originally saw this report in the JAMA article referenced in the above piece. The JAMA article also noted that a survey done by researchers at the University of Mainz indicated that 20% of German surgeons use "cognition enhancing drugs"
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Yes. If the county offered me substances that enhanced my strength, cognitive abilities and endurance I would, after careful study, take them. As it is, they'd likely fire me under a twisted interpretation of "zero tolerance."

This is an outfit that forbids working out on duty because two guys in the distant past tore pec muscles and were off work. The final result was the removal of all the exercise equipment at the south precinct, to the extent of removing chinning bars and striking bag supports from the walls.

Sorry, got off thread there.

1, 5, 07. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    I have been reading about some of this in Stealing Fire and in Chasing Captain America.

Some of the material in Stealing Fire is quite "out there", but it gives a fairly good understanding of what may be possible. At the end of the day...if the success of a mission, or an objective, is of such great importance to the individual, the unit, or the nation, does anyone really think that all possible advantages won't be taken? We are not talking about the silly bullsh8t that is sports, but rather real life life-and-death, and situations where winning is the only acceptable outcome.

Fair is for fools.

Long range bomber and surveillance pilots have been using pep pills for decades.

Both japanese and german troops used amphetamines extensivelyduring WW2 (with some interesting mixed results).

With the mission profile these folks have I imagine someone has some "ritalin" right along side the pain killers and antibiotics in their kit "just in case". Seeing as a 18D can get their hands on just about anything.
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter14 View Post
    Potentially some pretty big ones. First thing to mind is that steriods have a reputation for making people more volatile and angry. The whole "Roid rage" thing. I don't know how much of that is overstated but it is an issue. If we are talking about people who make split second life or death decisions... you don't want anything clouding their judgment. When you alter your body's hormone levels there is certainly the potential for big problems. Though in relation to the article I would expect a lot of the negatives could be mitigated since it would be under medical supervision compared to taking whatever the huge guy at the gym sells you for $400.

The article seemed to suggest they were looking at more over the counter supplements with steriods being something that might be on the horizon. Raising performance levels using over the counter supplements might be very doable. Not just physical performance but mental as well. Look into "nootropics" for more on the mental side of things.
    Iím pretty anti-steroid... That said a lot of the the negatives are blown out of proportion. Roos rage is real but almost exclusively a by product of idiots taking massive doses above what is necessary for effective proformance. And by themselves steroids are not mind altering.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight you failed to properly prepare..."

"History is the autobiography of a madman..."