Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    As Gabe mentioned, standard practice is that we take all firearms used, even in an officer involved shooting (department weapons). Depending on the case, they may also need to be processed for DNA and latent prints. As for why we test fire the weapons, we need to collect known samples of fired bullets and cartridge cases from all involved firearms should forensic identification be requested down the road. Crime labs typically process these guns quickly, however the release of the items is typically ordered by the prosecutors office once it is clear they will no longer be needed for the case.

They are not "Out to get you"...or to "Pin something on you". It is standard procedure.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Until we sort things out, we'll take 'em all.

Especially if the bad guy survives and, presumably, goes to trial. Think about cross examination of an LEO who decides not to take for testing all firearms carried by one of the parties in a defensive shooting.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 8, 11. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by RayMich View Post
    Eric, did you get your guns back? Are they keeping then for a pending court trial?
    These pics are from when I got my guns back.

I used the information I acquired from what is now called the Win the Aftermath: Interview and Investigation Management course. In fact, I never even went to the police station. I was at the scene for a few hours and then went home. The class taught me what I needed to talk about to give the officers the information they needed. I highly recommend taking this class.
    Suarez International Staff Instructor, Iowa

"EVERY MAN IS A COUNTER TERRORIST." --Gabe Suarez
    "It's not the will to win that matters--everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." --Paul "Bear" Bryant
    "Love of theory is the root of all evil." --William M. Briggs

Formerly "ericmt"

Imagine that!
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters