Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default REVOLVER RELOADING

Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I remember when a five second reload was a good thing.

-- ML

As soon as they mentioned carrying the speed loader on the weak side was when I quit watching.

I was shown some years ago by a veteran secret service agent how to use a speed loader and that is not the way to do it. He was really fast with reloading a model 15 combat master piece. Of course by that time they were not carrying wheel guns, but when he started they were.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Interesting one-handed techniques.

“Casings”, from the Oscar-Meyer ammo company.
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

2019 Classes:
    CRG-1, Pistol Gunfighting, August 24-25, 2019 Olympia, WA

From Murphy: "Incoming has the right-of-way" (so, GTFOTX!!)

It's interesting that they always lifted the speedloader away from the cylinder after it released the rounds. I found that once the loader clicks and releases you can let go of it and the rounds drop. Then you could simply close the cylinder out from under it. It saved on unnecessary movements and was quicker, as long as you let the rounds drop before trying to close.
    Discipline is just choosing between what you want now and what you want most.

Gunsite Orange, API -250 Sept. 1978 (Everybody starts somewhere)
    CRG - July 2011, Oct. 2017
    PSP - April 2012
    TMCO - Sept. 2012
    TWOTU since 2011

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    As soon as they mentioned carrying the speed loader on the weak side was when I quit watching.

I was shown some years ago by a veteran secret service agent how to use a speed loader and that is not the way to do it. He was really fast with reloading a model 15 combat master piece. Of course by that time they were not carrying wheel guns, but when he started they were.
    I once questioned a self professed expert on why he would carry speed loaders on his off side when every way I’d been taught was using them with your firing hand. It was like a lightbulb went off for him. He had just put them in the same place as his spare magazines and never thought it through any further.
    I suspect this was mostly the same. Done for a sense of balance rather than any practical reason.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

In the academy, they were placed left of the buckle. Once that nonsense was over, they went where they belonged...three of them to the right of the buckle.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Carried a revolver for a long time. We NEVER put the speedloaders on the off hand side! They were but between the buckle and the holster on the strong side. We had the type where you had to turn the knob to release the cartridges, the powers that wanna be thought they were more secure for some reason. I was pretty fast with them but we had some folks who shot PPCT and were real fast. Of course for that they used the ones that released as you pushed down. I thought it was a bad idea to use them in competition then the others on duty. I also carried a speed strip of 6 rounds in my pocket since we were only allowed 2 speedloaders (with 6 in gun) which allowed for 18 rounds. When we went to the Glock model 22, we almost had that many in the gun with 30 to back it up. I cut my teeth teaching folks how to shoot the revolver.
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragsbo View Post
    Carried a revolver for a long time. We NEVER put the speedloaders on the off hand side! They were but between the buckle and the holster on the strong side. We had the type where you had to turn the knob to release the cartridges, the powers that wanna be thought they were more secure for some reason. I was pretty fast with them but we had some folks who shot PPCT and were real fast. Of course for that they used the ones that released as you pushed down. I thought it was a bad idea to use them in competition then the others on duty. I also carried a speed strip of 6 rounds in my pocket since we were only allowed 2 speedloaders (with 6 in gun) which allowed for 18 rounds. When we went to the Glock model 22, we almost had that many in the gun with 30 to back it up. I cut my teeth teaching folks how to shoot the revolver.
    I never learned how to use a strip loader with any speed. They do carry the ammo in a flat shape that is good.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    I never learned how to use a strip loader with any speed. They do carry the ammo in a flat shape that is good.
    I just wanted some more as back up. Boss would NOT have liked it if they caught me
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!