Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default JUSTIFICATION EXERCISE - LASERS

Watch the video first. Now...you notice a man pointing a red laser at you (could be a green one...don't over think it). Use the flowchart and justify why you shot him.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Starting with the assumption that I am currently engaged in a lawful pursuit...
    - I see a man engaging me with a laser device
    - As I cannot clearly see the exact nature of the laser device I must assume it is a targeting device, presumably mounted to a firearm, and my life is now endangered
    - As he is tracking my movement I will be unable to evade him before he can fire at me
    - Therefore I respond with deadly force in order to save my own life and those of anyone around me.

only one response...
    Gabriel Suarez

Little late to the game here, and previous commenter pretty well covered my points. But, here's my approach: A laser nearly tagged me in the eye, which made me look for the source. I followed the line back to a man who had his hand extended about eye level toward me, pointing the laser at me. Laser+pointing at eye level = gun with a laser to me. Believing he was going to shoot me, since he was following my movements, I feared for my life and had no choice but to shoot him.

(As an aside, I nearly drew on someone who did something very similar from the porch of a duplex near a restaurant I was at--the only reason I didn't draw and opted for getting the heck away from his laser was that I couldn't see him well and didn't want to miss and hit someone else in the house, aside from the fact I could get away safely.)

Informally:

"I'm an off-duty peace officer. I work patrol. I have SWAT training. One of my issued weapons is a Taser. It uses a laser to assist in targeting. I'm familiar with laser targeting devices on pistols and long guns and I've used them myself.
    Lasers can cause eye damage. And in my state, it's against the law to knowingly and maliciously point a laser at anyone.
    When I saw the dot on my chest I thought "LASER!" I know how quickly a shot can be fired after you put that dot on target. I've done it.

I thought I was gonna get shot. I moved and drew my service pistol. I was looking for the source of the laser. I saw a guy holding something pointed at me. I saw a red light on it. I shot him. I had no choice and no time to do anything else."
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 3, 12. And a wakeup.

"Possibility of Serious injury or deadly force."

Yes. His pointing a gun at me. You might argue it's hard to hit me in a moving helicopter. I don't care. His targeting me and the chance in non zero.

"Am I committing a crime"

No.

"Are you the focus of the violence"

Yes, his targeting me.

Lethal force justified.

Let me give you a slightly variation on this scenario. You are walking at night and an unknown i hits you with a high power flash light and track your movement. Laser == high probability of weapon. Flashlight? Am I pushing too far?
    Last edited by TwoBodyOneHead; 03-09-2019 at 05:08 PM.

The salient point is that you did not perceive a "laser" pointed at you, but rather perceived what seemed like a laser-aiming unit equipped firearm. Perception is reality.
    Gabriel Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    The salient point is that you did not perceive a "laser" pointed at you, but rather perceived what seemed like a laser-aiming unit equipped firearm. Perception is reality.
    But is that perception reasonable?

Oh, heck yes.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 3, 12. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBodyOneHead View Post
    But is that perception reasonable?
    That was the entire point of this thread wasn't it? It either is, or it is not. The answer is up to you and how you navigate things.
    Gabriel Suarez