Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    For the last few months I have been studying how to destroy large and/or dangerous game and I came across and article buy a guy that has been hunting a long long time. He was talking about bear encounters and how to deal with them as well as their frequency. The important part was he knew encounters were much higher then reported because many times bears would be put down and then just not reported because of the hassle, paperwork and problems with game wardens and such.

The construction of the slug used is also very important. The basic 1 oz slugs that are all over aren't the best choice. A Brenneke slug or similar is more the order of the day. In the second video Gabe posted the guy is using a 600 grain, heavy for caliber, 3" slug. Depending on the terrain someone might only get one shot before they have teeth and muscle on them and can't ensure a head shot for sub optimal projectiles.
    Last edited by Dorkface; 03-19-2019 at 09:31 AM. Reason: spelling
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

In Florida bears in the woods are not the problem; it is bears in your backyard that are.

Photo of dead bear and the Florida authorities never found out who killed it. A woman saw it in the lot next to there house in Navarre FL that is not too far from the Eglin Airforce base that is a huge place.

A more realistic scene of what I am faced is shown in the video below. In this case a 20 lb dog runs the bear off. But one can never say for sure how such things will go. A few years I would have gotten in more trouble for shooting a trespassing bear than a trespassing human. The status of bears has gone from threatened to a lesser status, but no killing is allowed without a permit. It is hard to findout under what circumstances it is legal to kill a bear for protection. FWC personnel are deliberately being obtuse about under what conditions you can kill a bear relative to self defense and property damage seems not to be valid point in their minds. If the bear destroys property, it is your fault.

Likely if you had a good reason a judge would see it your way. In recent years some hunting is being allowed due to the numbers of bears that are about.

One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I doubt they would do ballistics on the black bear... and smooth bores don't leave marks.
    Geek Warlord

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    TWOTU edition

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    I doubt they would do ballistics on the black bear... and smooth bores don't leave marks.
    The breech face and extractor do.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 2, 17. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    The breech face and extractor do.
    Leaving hulls on the ground would be littering... Wouldn't want to do that.
    Geek Warlord

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    TWOTU edition

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post

Bears and commitment, two scariest things in the world.
    One just kills you faster LOL

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    Leaving hulls on the ground would be littering... Wouldn't want to do that.
    Bigger issue is disposing of the dead bear. If I had a big boat I could hide it with a tarp and dump in the middle of the bay or offshore and let the currents take it will they will and hopefully the sharks and maybe gators will work on the carcass. Ungated private forest land is rare and that with public does have some patrolling in place. Disposal is possible, but does add another link to the issue. If you wound the bear it will likely go somewhere else to die making things easier.

Me I just want them gone since they are a nuisance potentially dangerous to humans and pets.

Below is a typical example of a bear in a suburban backyard.. Say you shoot the bear in this video. Your neighbor(s) will likely hear the shot and wonder about and may come out to ask about. They see the dead bear and then you hope they keep their mouth shut about it. That bear was small enough to go into a big car trunk. But then you have to do the equivalent of body dump. If the bear was not directly threatening your life, there is absolutely no legal justification for killing it.
    At night my dogs that patrol my fenced 8 acres are typically noisy throughout much of the night chasing something and at times it could be bears.

One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    I honestly cannot understand that thinking.
    Copy. Sometimes we just do the best we can.

For BarnetMill:

Geek Warlord

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    TWOTU edition

TWOTU since May 2015

I guess I don’t understand all the handwringing regarding being extra legal in shooting a bear.

If it beeded to be shot (see the flowchart) then it needed to be shot and just deal with the outcome.

if you are more worries about what your pussified neighbors and their shrill shrew wives think well I can’t help you there.

Personally i have almost no worries regarding black bears. They aren’t that big and they don’t take all that much killing.

I am am starting to spend time up in Wyoming with a friend who does some guiding and he is teaching me to ride (and later to pack) and my choices are a Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt with very heavy stout cast billet lods and my Tac 14 with 1-1/4 oz full dram slugs.

Wyoming has grizzlies and those worry me more than black bears ever will
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.