Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    There might be a reason why a 45-70 lever gun has the reputation as a guide gun in Grizzly country. Something like a 405 gn hard cast flat nose can go through the length of a bear leaving a 2 inch or so wound channel while not being slowed down by shoulder blades or hip bones. There have been at least a couple cases where a shot missed a grizzlys head but took out their rear hip allowing time for a kill shot. Down south animals start out small and get larger and larger the more north you go inland and then a little bigger towards the coast.

Black bears? Much easier.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

IIRC the original story was that the bear and cubs had been hanging around his property and wanted make them leave. He had small children about and accordingly that was his concern and motivation.
    Blackbears in my area of FL have become nuisances, but do have some legal protection in that wildlife people do not want them killed. A .22 is quiet and maybe could be used for dispatch relative to the 3 S's. I have fruits orchards and so critters of all sorts are a concern; even coyotes will rob pear trees believe it or not. I eventually do need to make the investment into NV gear.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    IIRC the original story was that the bear and cubs had been hanging around his property and wanted make them leave. He had small children about and accordingly that was his concern and motivation.
    Blackbears in my area of FL have become nuisances, but do have some legal protection in that wildlife people do not want them killed. A .22 is quiet and maybe could be used for dispatch relative to the 3 S's. I have fruits orchards and so critters of all sorts are a concern; even coyotes will rob pear trees believe it or not. I eventually do need to make the investment into NV gear.
    Yeah my Aunt in Naples has reported that black bears are becoming more common and aggressive. She saw one while walking her Great Dane and Lab a few weeks ago. Glad she had the dogs barking like nuts because it left her alone, was hard to get the dogs inside though they wanted to chase after it. I love wildlife and would hate to have to kill a bear if it can be avoided, but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a bear acting aggressive, or even a coyote in the yard that threatens my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by WraithWolf View Post
    Yeah my Aunt in Naples has reported that black bears are becoming more common and aggressive. She saw one while walking her Great Dane and Lab a few weeks ago. Glad she had the dogs barking like nuts because it left her alone, was hard to get the dogs inside though they wanted to chase after it. I love wildlife and would hate to have to kill a bear if it can be avoided, but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a bear acting aggressive, or even a coyote in the yard that threatens my dog.
    With important exceptions black do not attack people, but as they get more used to people that could change.

Below is how a foolish lady without a weapon investigates a noise in the garage and gets mauled, but she did survive.

One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I have a little exposure to black bears in the NE and agree with Barnetmill. Most of the bears seen in the wilds are running away if you get a glimps of them at all. The bears that wander into the towns and city edges are not the same as those in the woods, they are far more daring. A book was written a while ago that indicated the black bears have klled more people in north americal than Griz. Basically due the encroachment and higher numbers of black bears.
    Going back to the Canuk with the griz. While hunting this past year in a very high density griz zone a few things had changed since I had done this last. Once a kill was on the ground one person gutted the animal while the other ran security, I can tell you how many scares a chipmunk caused during the gutting and hanging process. The next day the recovery was similar, 2 people loaded the mules and one stood security with a pump gum (20ga). With a few bears being spotted in camp and leaving tracks at night the pumpgun was the intended defense or hazing tool. While I dont agree with the practice, the first round was a skeet load and the follow up were B/S & slugs.
    The Canuk was being silly if he was using skeet loads or duck loads. If I was making an agressive action as the video identifies I would have wanted more than 2-3 shots, "00"or a few slugs at a min. I also find it interesting that he reported the bear several times ove a few weeks and Provincial police & game officials told him to stay out of his own yard!

My pastor has an on-going low intensity conflict with the bears on his property. I gave him some rubber buckshot, an upgrade over what he had been using, which was dust loads in a .22 revolver.

That seems like a better plan than using bird shot if you don't want to actually injure the creature.

If you want the creature dead...when his grandkids were visiting he borrowed some other options from me, just in case. No issues, I guess the rubber buck got the point across.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstore Commando View Post
    .....if you don't want to actually injure the creature..
    I honestly cannot understand that thinking. Yeah....I know...I know. But the flowchart applies to animals as well. If I see a bear in the woods, close enough to be a threat, and he does not immediately turn and flee, I will do far more than "injure" it.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Bears are not a protected species and have hunting seasons where they are prevalent.. I'd dump one without fear even if they were protected.

Bears and commitment, two scariest things in the world.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Default A Couple More

Granted, these were basically ambushes...but still.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Why my shotties all have slugs aboard as an option. Threat will likely be at relatively short range.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 6, 7. And a wakeup.