Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default SHOTGUNS VERSUS BEARS

Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I suspect this was not buckshot or slugs.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    I suspect this was not buckshot or slugs.
    I have seen this discussed somewhere before and IIRC it was birdshot. Bears can be unpredictable in the same way that people can be relative charging and being deterred by a non-lethal wound. Sometimes a hurting and shocking wound will stop or turn a bear and sometimes it will not.
    From the film legend
    He later tracked the bear family, and believes while the mama bear is sore, she's okay.
    Really sounds like birdshot to me.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Generally a black bear can be scared away with pain. Generally you have to kill a grizzly. They have different mindsets.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

"...and hopes next time she'll think twice about approaching people." Why the heck would mama grizzly do that when she perceives a threat to her cubs and she freaking won by running at him, without (apparently) any real harm to herself? He was the dumbbell for trying to scare her off with a warning shot anyway.

Text stated he aimed at her side "to keep from killing her." Well, shit. Mama said, "Stupid is as stupid does."

One of dad's older friends was a WW2 Marine Pacific veteran. He killed a big black bear one morning with a 12 ga. and birdshot up above my grandparents house.

He told me he every time he hit it he knocked it down and then it got back up and came at him. He'd knock it down and it would get up and come at him. When his M12 Win. was empty of the 7th shot it way lying at his feet close enough he could touch it with the gun barrel. After that he carried 00 buckshot in his pocket when squirrel hunting (illegal in WV for anything, can't even deer hunt with it, but being alive was more important than being legal.)

I have a couple 12 ga. shotguns and I have buckshot and slugs - but if I have a bear in the yard I'm not going off the porch after it and the gun in my hands will be the .308.

I guess now we'll start hearing that a 12 ga. won't kill a bear.

Tell me again why you were out in the yard??

The dog was smarter; ran earlier and forward.

Observation: Birdshot really irritates a bear.

Tell me again why you were out in the yard??
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

From Murphy's Laws of Combat: "Incoming has the right-of-way" (so, GTFOTX!!)

Might have been a shorter video if slugs were involved.

That whole backing up while shooting thing also had great potential to change the outcome and illustrate why not to back up while shooting.
    Discipline is just choosing between what you want now and what you want most.

Gunsite Orange, API -250 Sept. 1978 (Everybody starts somewhere)
    CRG - July 2011, Oct. 2017
    PSP - April 2012
    TMCO - Sept. 2012
    TWOTU since 2011

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by BKern View Post
    Might have been a shorter video if slugs were involved.

That whole backing up while shooting thing also had great potential to change the outcome and illustrate why not to back up while shooting.
    Noticed he lost a shoe while backing up. Wow.

I wonder if he'll look at this as a learning moment or regail his friends -- and everyone he meets -- with tales of bravery and ingenuity ....
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

*Shakes my head* Why he went outside to confront the bear I do not know. Could have opened a window if he needed to shoot. That bear is likely going to die a slow death from infection if he hit it but didnt hit any major blood vessels or CNS organs. If he didnt find any blood, he was probably using really small birdshot... If you are going to carry a gun for bear defense, its best to use something that can humanely put it down, not leave it to suffer on end, or worse pissed off and still in the fight.
    M1A what load of shot were they using by chance? I think BB could be effective with proper shot placement at close range, but personally it would not be my first choice of course. Even 5.45 is a known polar bear stopper, ever hear the story of the hiker in Alaska who was hiking with his AK-74 and got charged by a polar bear? https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ar-with-ak-74/