Default Good video on Kata Applications

Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Outstanding video! It says volumes against the naysayers who speak out against the practical applications of katas in today's environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    Outstanding video! It says volumes against the naysayers who speak out against the practical applications of katas in today's environment.
    People who don't like kata are mentally undisciplined and emotionally immature. Those same people won't "dry fire" because its "boring".
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    ...Those same people won't "dry fire" because its "boring".
    Very good analogy....

I enjoyed all the different Elbow Strikes applied at different angles. Especially the combined Short, Upwards Elbow and Forearm Strike-EFS. The technique seen in Kanku-Dai Kata after the Jump Kick. The MMA Fighters using it mostly to cover the High Line, while closing the distance after executing the Jump Kick.

Able to still use it in close instead of it only being effective at Competition Range makes it a useful technique for us. The advantage of the Strike for me lies in the fact that your arm does not pull back in any sort of preparatory motion, a signal that a Strike is on it`s way. The arm just snaps up from nowhere and smashes into the face.

Another advantage of the arm position is that the arm is not at full extention after executing the previous technique-Leaving the arm with some 'Spring' Making it seem that the arm is not in a position to Strike, helping to hide the Strike.

Another technique that intrigue me was the Double Open Hand that is used like a Check. The Hand position at the start of Kanku-Dai Kata-Looking through the gab by placing the fingers of both hands on top of each other.

The simplicity of the Hip-Throw also reminded me of the Throw in Hein/Pinan Kata that I was taught was the more complicated jump over the sword technique. In Hein- Jondan Kata the sequence of techniques are no less complicated. Blocking a Step-over Punch with an Elbow Block, Striking the bridge of the nose with a Back Knuckle Strike and then stomping the leg by lifting your knee straight up and then bringing it down on the leg.

Instead of it simply being an effective Hip Throw.

OSSU
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

Sorry guys forgot to add the 'Spring' in the arm makes a Follow Up Strike easier.You don`t need to Pull your arm Back first. And it is this position of the arm that hides the Follow Up Strike.

OSSU
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR