Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I don't remember the names, but there was a San Antonio gunsmith that catered to gunmen of whatever stripe that made custom extended magazines for Remingtons, Colts and the like. Stories areound here are that Hamer went there for an extended cap mag(s) before his hunt for B&C. Everyone says .35 Rem was the caliber.

jim
    2 Samuel 22; Psalm 139:21-22

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw76 View Post
    I don't remember the names, but there was a San Antonio gunsmith that catered to gunmen of whatever stripe that made custom extended magazines for Remingtons, Colts and the like. Stories areound here are that Hamer went there for an extended cap mag(s) before his hunt for B&C. Everyone says .35 Rem was the caliber.

jim
    Hyman Lehman. Lord, the stuff that sticks...

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

I just watched it the other night. Good flick for gun guys ..especially liking the old stuff like the BAR'S and 1911's. Kinda gritty. The made out like Hamer was retired and living high in Texas with a well to do wife. Woody harrelson's character Gault was made out to be a loser kind of and down on his luck..not working .. he spoke a couple times in the movie about seeing faces in his dreams.. the guns looked great. Costner walked into a gun shop and seemingly personally purchased a carload of weapons .. Bar, Monitor, Thompson, I think a 1911, and a short Remington model 11 auto which is basically an Auto 5..
    Without giving too much away they ambushed them on a country road and 5 or 6 men shot Bonnie and Clyde ALL TO HELL. I thought Costner had a BAR ..I missed what he grabbed but didn't rewind.
    They also portrayed them not being able to shoot for shit anymore as "has been" lawmen.. Ma Ferguson called them something like horse cowboys or something similar. Cool movie worth watching even with Woody and Kevin being what they are.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
    Hyman Lehman. Lord, the stuff that sticks...
    He's the guy that built .45 and .38 Super full auto 1911 conversions, complete with Thompson VFGs, compensators and custom extended magazines. His clientele included Dillinger and Lester M Gillis.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 4, 16. And a wakeup.

Test firing range in the basement. All this in Hunter's book. I live in San Antonio and knew friends of my Father and Grandfather that knew Hymie and his reputation. I believe his last name was Liebman.
    Last edited by cannis latrans; 04-10-2019 at 07:52 AM. Reason: clarity

I watched it the day it came out. I enjoyed it.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

I liked it, especially how it didn't follow or glorify B&C at all but stayed with the perspective of Hamer and Gault getting ghosted repeatedly but slowly closing in. I also liked how they brought out the contrast between the old west lawman fading away and the new tech oriented law enforcement coming into play.

Quote Originally Posted by Pict View Post
    I liked it, especially how it didn't follow or glorify B&C at all but stayed with the perspective of Hamer and Gault getting ghosted repeatedly but slowly closing in. I also liked how they brought out the contrast between the old west lawman fading away and the new tech oriented law enforcement coming into play.
    Agreed. I liked that they barely showed them. I wish they would have done a few episodes in total though. I’m sure there was more than enough source material.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Zen View Post

I'm pretty tired of most movies nowadays, especially those with guns. Too much high technology, tactical ballet and everyone wanting to be Bruce Lee with an AR or John Wick or whatever.

HOWEVER ... this one looks interesting.

For the uninitiated, the story of Frank Hamer and how he and three other Texas LEOs took down Bonnie and Clyde is one that still fascinates. This was in the heyday of 1911s, Browning Automatic Rifles, Thompson submachine guns and their brutal use.

Bonnie Parker was no Faye Dunaway. She was a cold blooded killer who loved the spotlight as much as shooting down cops in the face. Her big gun was a sawed-off Browning A-5 in 20 gauge.

Attachment 57446

Clyde Barrow believed in superior firepower. I have to admire his taste in firearms as well as his stockpile of 100 BAR magazines.

Attachment 57447

Frank Hamer reputedly used a Remington Model 8 in .35 Remington with a custom 20-round magazine. In 1934, this was the forerunner for y'alls patrol carbine. There is some controversy regarding this -- of course -- with the suggestion that he actually used a BAR. Either way, the man was a consummate gunfighter. Lots of lessons to be learned by studying the history of violence and gunfighting.

Attachment 57448

And since I'm on a roll here, check out this article about Frank Hamer's 1911, which the author contends was a .38 Super, very popular at the time to deal with those pesky sheet metal automobile bodies and body armor. Even in the 1930s a gunfighter had to consider their choices in ammunition as well as firearms.

Anyway, if we're lucky the movie won't suck too badly. At the very least it will inspire some to look back and learn a thing or two.

PM'd you with to 2 YT links on Hamer from cowboy to retired lawman.
    Many are able, few are willing .

NV28

RGF,PSP,ACRG x 2,CRG x 2
    Intro PS Basics,Def Knife
    HITS-7 Vehicle Gunfighting Fundamentals
    TASI,CRG-3,M4 RGF
    Red Dot Pistol in S.A. Tx.
    Suarez Pistol Gunfighting School 10/13-15/2017 Houston, Texas.

Check the Ranger museum, great stuff about Hamer and others, I know the extended mags on the "8' where used by the Prison systems in the west, it may of just been a Remington add on, know its been tossed around for years.
    All animals except man know that the ultimate of life is to enjoy it.

Samuel Butler

FACIEM TUAM, DOMINC, REQUIRAM