Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    I always thought it silly when someone says "I just spewed my coffee ...."... after this last post I now know how that works. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

There was an episode of "Ancient Assassins" on the History Channel about William Wallace earlier this week that I DVR'd. I had time to watch it earlier today and there was one comment made that is relevant to this thread. One of the historians was talking about the English army of the 13th Century, and said, These guy weren't just battle hardened veterans. They were trained to kill before they even hit puberty."

Nope. No wringing of hands and soul searching for warriors then. It was literally do or die, and to die a warrior's death gave life meaning and purpose. A reminder, St Crispin's Day Speech from Shakespeare's "Henry V":

If we are mark'd to die, we are enough
    To do our country loss; and if to live,
    The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
    God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
    By
    Jove
    , I am not covetous for gold,
    Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
    It yearns me not if men my garments wear;
    Such outward things dwell not in my desires.
    But if it be a sin to covet honour,
    I am the most offending soul alive.
    No, faith, my
    coz
    , wish not a man from England.
    God's peace! I would not lose so great an honour
    As one man more methinks would share from me
    For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!
    Rather proclaim it, Westmorland, through my host,
    That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
    Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
    And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
    We would not die in that man's company
    That fears his fellowship to die with us.
    This day is call'd the feast of
    Crispian
    He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
    Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
    And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
    He that shall live this day, and see old age,
    Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
    And say "To-morrow is Saint Crispian."
    Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
    And say "These wounds I had on Crispin's day."
    Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
    But he'll remember, with advantages,
    What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
    Familiar in his mouth as household words—
    Harry the King,
    Bedford
    and
    Exeter
    Warwick
    and Talbot,
    Salisbury
    and
    Gloucester

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
    This story shall the good man teach his son;
    And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
    From this day to the ending of the world,
    But we in it shall be rememberèd—
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;
    And gentlemen in England now a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

"This story shall the good man teach his son..."
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 2, 16. And a wakeup.

Houzit Ghost

I had my own Twilight Zone experience not so long ago.

i was invited to hang out for the afternoon with some of the guys from the local Practical Shooting Club by a friend Uncle Dippies. Arriving a bit early we had to wait for the range to be opened. A short while later one of the club members arrived and joined us at the gate. After introducing me and telling him that today was a sort of meet and greet as part of a plan to get me involved in the club-Helping with the scoring-Oom Dippies then asked him if he brought a carry/race gun to to train with. At this point I realized that he was a fairly new member and that Oom Dippies did not really know him.

It was what he said next that floored as both.

That he does not believe carrying a gun can save your life and that he cannot see himself ever shooting somebody in Self Defence. Explaining that his parents were forced to hand over their firearm that was locked inside a closet and almost had it used against them. Therefor a firearm is useless in a Self Defence situation in his opinion and can only get you killed.

I almost shouted out that of course a gun locked away is useless but decided that as a guess I should bite my tongue and leave it to Oom Dippies to set him straight. Being a member in the first place and older he might be able to offer some advice.

It was exactly what he tried to do and explained that your gun should always be on your person/within easy reach to be useful. Sharing his own home invasion story that literally only happened a couple of days before.

His wife was in their bedroom occupied with packing-placing clothes on their bed-when she heard a noise, looked up and saw an intruder in the doorway staring at her. Without hesitation she picked up her pistol that was on the bed, close at hand and pointed it at him. Seeing the gun he turned around quickly and fled. Oom Dippies finished his story saying that he and his wife are convinced that if she was not armed and prepared to shoot the intruder she would have being raped.

Glancing towards my left to see what this guy`s reaction was after hearing the story I saw that he had sat down on the ground a short distance away and was busy texting.

I decided that this guy was acting like a real **shole and made up my mind that I was not going to allow him to mess with my good mood at the prospect of getting to shoot a couple of rounds.

Once everybody got their gear together this guy discovered that he had left most of his at home. Unsurprisingly he was not disappointed at missing out on some training. Happy enough to mess around and waste his time.

Using his gun like a golf club. Locking it away somewhere when he gets home and then nonchalantly throwing it into a bag until the next time he has the urge to waste some more time.

FOOTNOTES
    I had a great afternoon hanging out at the Shooting Range but could not shake a feeling of frustration when I got home. Being honest with myself I had to admit that I was a bit jealous of the club members. Getting to shoot on a regular basis. And presented with a golden opportunity to improve with regular practice and quality instruction-Even if their focus is Competition-Learning to do something well.

Once I understood my frustration I reminded myself that playing the If Only Game is a waste of time and that I should use this day instead to remember to grapp my own opportunities with both hands.

OSSU
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

I had a very similar experience last year. Our men's group at church had a "Guns and Steaks" afternoon on a Saturday at an outdoor shooting range several miles away, and I had never been to that range before. A friend of mine drove, and another new friend of mine sat in the back. The guy in the back confessed that he thought that killing anyone for any reason violated God's law, and that he could never do it. I asked him why he owned a gun in the first place if he believed that, and why he would not defend his wife and family if someone broke into their house. By the time we got there, he seemed to understand the difference between murder and killing, and what self defense is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
    By the time we got there, he seemed to understand the difference between murder and killing, and what self defense is.
    And the fact that a grown ass man doesn't understand that is astounding...and any Pastor that has told him all killing is murder needs to have his arse kicked.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Seems the Old Testament is quite full of killing, but only a few murders.... Just putting that out there.