Thread: FATS Training

Default FATS Training

For those of you with LEO experience: Following an officer involved shooting, is it normal practice for the officer to undergo follow-on FATS training prior to returning to patrol?

I'm familiar with an officer who had (2) shootings within a short time frame (approx. 8 months) both justifed with with body cam footage, who is being asked to run through the FATS training. This wasn't a requirement following the first incident.

Would this be an assessment to ensure the officer remains capable of critical thinking during high-stress incidents? Would appreciate any insights.

Cheers

I'm not aware of any national standard on this. Returning to duty following a use of deadly force incident is something entirely up to the administration of every department I have experience with .
    This evaluation on the FATS seems like something a chief or a command staff member thinks will mitigate the liability of a third shooting by the same officer.
    I don't ordinarily order my officers to do something like this unless I have a concern about their ability to apply the decisional shooting training they already had .

Thanks for the response cwood.